PDA

View Full Version : XC tire review: Kenda Kutters

BMW Dr.
01-11-2010, 03:52 AM
I hope this is the right forum, sorry if it isn't. :)

I know this is a fairly new tire, just haven't seen many people talk about it......or even seen them on a quad yet. Just wanted to share my experiences.

Pictures are below:

I finally wore out my Kenda Knarlys, and spent a few days deciding what tire to go with next. I really liked the Knarlys, with the exception of the front tires really not being that aggressive. The rear tires seemed to slide well when you needed them to, and also hook at the right time as well. I opted to try out the Kutters this time, and since I ride XC most......I stuck with the 6 ply XC version of the tire.

I have ridden several times on these Kutters. I have yet to ride in 'bone dry' conditions, since we have received an abundance of rain this winter (where as we had drought conditions this summer, again) here in central NC. The first two times I rode with them, conditions were extremely muddy. In fact the muddiest condition was on the MX track I rode on. The tires did great as expected, since the big cleats are obviously going to throw plenty of mud. The front tires are fairly aggressive as well....and they are fairly predictable.

The one time I did ride in semi-damp conditions, the tires performed fantastically once again. I wil definitely report back with feedback when I get to ride in dry conditions. So far I am very happy with my decision.

Mounted them up in the garage.......ready to put them on....

http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/pics/450/newmods/tires/ready.jpg

Ready to go....

http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/pics/450/newmods/tires/side.jpg

http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/pics/450/newmods/tires/rearcleat.jpg

http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/pics/450/newmods/tires/front.jpg

http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/pics/450/newmods/tires/frontcleat.jpg

Post-first ride.......

http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/host/ride/ncmp/dec22/done.jpg

Jigsaw
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
So how do you like em? I need a new tire for trail riding and I kinda like these.

Dobber
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
:eek2: i think im in love with your yfz

Brauap
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Could you possibly post a picture with them on your bike from the rear? Just courious of the pattern..

Robin Hood
01-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I wonder how well they'd perform if you grooved them like how some people groove their razr's.

BMW Dr.
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Jigsaw
So how do you like em? I need a new tire for trail riding and I kinda like these.
The write-up covers what I think. :p

Originally posted by Dobber
:eek2: i think im in love with your yfz
Thanks. :cool:

Originally posted by Brauap
Could you possibly post a picture with them on your bike from the rear? Just courious of the pattern..
http://jonsmithphoto.com/darren/pics/450/newmods/tires/IMG_2195.jpg

d7k8
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
curious about your chain guard. who makes it?
is it a GT thunder unit?
thanks.. pm me any info if ya want

BMW Dr.
01-13-2010, 02:46 AM
That indeed is a GT Thunder sprocket guard....the dual piece.

Canadian144
01-13-2010, 08:27 AM
They look pretty nice... have you ever used RAZRs or RAZR 2's... if you have, I'm just wondering how you find these compared to them.

Brauap
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Love the rear.. not a big fan on the fronts.. don't look like they'll grab or stick real well.. but the rear looks amazing! Are they also 2 in 1 tread (2-way) like the other Kenda's? BTW Your quad is amazing as well!

BMW Dr.
01-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
They look pretty nice... have you ever used RAZRs or RAZR 2's... if you have, I'm just wondering how you find these compared to them.
I personally have only run Knarlys and Holeshot XCT's. I have ridden a few quads with Razr MX tires, but not XC's. I know that Razr2 is a good XC tire, and liked by those who prefer a grippier tire. The biggest complaint I hear about them is weight....and the fact that they are harder on bearings and other components. These Kutters don't feel heavy at all.....in fact I have jumped them quite a bit on the MX track as well.....they are really smooth.

Originally posted by Brauap
Love the rear.. not a big fan on the fronts.. don't look like they'll grab or stick real well.. but the rear looks amazing! Are they also 2 in 1 tread (2-way) like the other Kenda's? BTW Your quad is amazing as well!
As far as I know they are directional.....by construction at least. I can't recall at the moment if they are indicated in one direction......although I am fairly sure they are.

As the review in my OP, I will be running them backwards as well like I did my Knarlys......I am sure they will work fine. :)

Thanks for the comp's on the quad as well. :D

TRXman86
01-14-2010, 05:25 AM
As I told ya over at Central... LOVE THE QUAD.... but man bro... we gotta get you some scoth brite for that head/mid pipe :D

Fear250r
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you for posting your review! I've been looking at these tires for a while now and couldn't get a whole lot of feedback. One other guy had them on another forum, but hadn't had a chance to run 'em yet. I think I will be grabbing a set now. Thanks again!

quad2xtreme
01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Quad still looks great Darren. I put the rock rings and 1/4 rotor protector on Connie's 450r two years ago. It has held up really well and definitely provides better clearance.

I am in the process of putting the 2005 450r swinger on both of the 400ex trail quads.

nastyrider17
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for helping me decide what tires I'm gunna get next.

If you don't mind me asking how much did they cost you?

BMW Dr.
01-15-2010, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by TRXman86
As I told ya over at Central... LOVE THE QUAD.... but man bro... we gotta get you some scoth brite for that head/mid pipe :D
I've got some, just couldn't do my normal 'detail' after pressure washing. The hose pipe at the hose is frozen solid.....its been in the mid teens at night the past few weeks. :)

Originally posted by Fear250r
Thank you for posting your review! I've been looking at these tires for a while now and couldn't get a whole lot of feedback. One other guy had them on another forum, but hadn't had a chance to run 'em yet. I think I will be grabbing a set now. Thanks again!
No problem! Looks like it will be dry tomorrow, and I am going to ride around noon. I'll report back with a dry evaluation.

Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Quad still looks great Darren. I put the rock rings and 1/4 rotor protector on Connie's 450r two years ago. It has held up really well and definitely provides better clearance.

I am in the process of putting the 2005 450r swinger on both of the 400ex trail quads.
Cool deal Jon, they are definitely great products. We need to blast some trails sometime. :)

BTW, you racing or flagging at the race at NCMP Saturday? I hope to attend to take photos.

Originally posted by nastyrider17
Thanks for helping me decide what tires I'm gunna get next.

If you don't mind me asking how much did they cost you?
I don't remember exactly, I'll check for you. I got them from RockyMountain ATV, I want to say they were around $275 with free shipping.

quad2xtreme
01-15-2010, 05:23 AM
Darren, I will be there both days. Pretty sure I am one of the scorers at the finish line.

I'll see you there.

Fear250r
01-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Are those 21's up front?

BMW Dr.
01-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Rode in really dry conditions today. I ran about 20 laps around the MX track, and we did about 5 loops on the trail system at my favorite local riding park. The MX track has alot of red clay......other parts are hard packed 'sandy' soil, and regular dirt. The tires did awesome. I figured they'd do well, and they definitely did just that.......and then some. Very predictable tire.....even in the woods. I can slide if I want to......or make them stick if I want to. Its all up to my thumb and body motions.

Very happy with the tire choice. :cool:

Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Darren, I will be there both days. Pretty sure I am one of the scorers at the finish line.

I'll see you there.
Cool deal Jon. We will see how I feel, I might not make it after all. :( I got there Friday around 10:30.....rode for 4 hours. I got home and hopped in the shower.....and I had been awake at that point for 26hrs straight. I haven't ridden in 3 weeks either, so I am sore.

Originally posted by Fear250r
Are those 21's up front?
Indeed they are.....21/20's.

quad2xtreme
01-16-2010, 07:42 AM
yea, I will have to go through that soreness when I start riding again but that will be a great day for me. :D

You really do a great job of upkeep on your quad. People don't realize that you usually have it buried in a layer of mud practically every weekend.

coryatver
01-16-2010, 08:00 AM
very good review thanks. I am jealous you are riding up here in PA its not happening anytime soon.

KFX450Rrider490
01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
very good review thanks. I am jealous you are riding up here in PA its not happening anytime soon.

yea same here 8 inches of snow is only fun the first time!