PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Input?

KISSmyACE
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Last week at the track, I was being lectured about not leaning enough in my left hand turns. My issues is that I can't get far enough off the quad AND have the bars turned far enough and still be able to reach the gas. My arms aren't long enough. So it was suggested to me to cut a little bit off the end of each side and slide my grips/master cylinder/ throttle/etc. in. Do you think this will help? Has anyone cut their bars down before? Will it make it feel weird riding with my hands slid in further than I'm use to now?

tri5ron
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
sure it would feel a little strange the first few times you rode it, but it WOULD also move your grips, throttle, controls, closer to the center, and allowing a little more "butt hang" off the side.

it will also cause the need for you to use a little more upper body strength to move the handlebars, due to you will lose some of the current leverage that you now have.

KISSmyACE
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
sure it would feel a little strange the first few times you rode it, but it WOULD also move your grips, throttle, controls, closer to the center, and allowing a little more "butt hang" off the side.

it will also cause the need for you to use a little more upper body strength to move the handlebars, due to you will lose some of the current leverage that you now have.

lol @ butt hang. I guess I could try it and see if I like it! if not, buy new bars.

do you think it will be a drastic change in steering for taking an inch of each side?

tri5ron
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by KISSmyACE
lol @ butt hang. I guess I could try it and see if I like it! if not, buy new bars.

do you think it will be a drastic change in steering for taking an inch of each side? All oyu really need to do, to get an idea of how it will feel, is to move your brake lever, clutch lever, and throttle in as far as possible, and trim off the inner part of the grips.
Then take it for a ride with your hands in the new positions.
If you like it that way, then go ahead and cut the ends off the handlebars, and get some new grips.

KISSmyACE
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
All oyu really need to do, to get an idea of how it will feel, is to move your brake lever, clutch lever, and throttle in as far as possible, and trim off the inner part of the grips.
Then take it for a ride with your hands in the new positions.
If you like it that way, then go ahead and cut the ends off the handlebars, and get some new grips.

good idea. thank you

Moto Pro472
01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
You have pro tapers and they have cut lines on the end of the bars to make it easier. You just got a pep stabilizer so i would say go for it and cut em.

KISSmyACE
01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Moto Pro472
You have pro tapers and they have cut lines on the end of the bars to make it easier. You just got a pep stabilizer so i would say go for it and cut em.

yeah thats why I want to try to cut them, at least I know it'll be even! lol.

the stabilizer either bumps my oil tank or oil cooler when its mounted no matter what i do. I'm gonna have to mess around with it a little more....

bkelley
01-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by KISSmyACE
yeah thats why I want to try to cut them, at least I know it'll be even! lol.

the stabilizer either bumps my oil tank or oil cooler when its mounted no matter what i do. I'm gonna have to mess around with it a little more.... Have you looked into the CNC stabilizer?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349366&highlight=stabilizer

slightlybent47
01-11-2010, 02:13 AM
That’s a good thought about moving your hands inward but try and watch some other riders not all of them hang way out to the side and they still get the job done. The more over the side you get the more likely you are to lose the leverage you have with your feet. The leg and foot that is hooked over the seat should not come off the pegs when you turn. If you are hanging over that far then can’t stay in complete control. I don’t do much more then hook one butt cheek over the edge of the seat. You want to be able to shift and break while you’re hanging off the side. Say your making a left turn and your right foot is off the peg and the rider in front checks up or starts to spin out you can’t get your foot back down and break in time. The same goes on the other side with your shifting.

Tri5ron had a good idea of moving the controls in some and try it out first.
Look at a bunch of racing pic of riders in corners and you’ll see that there many ways to hang off the side. Some hang there butt and some hang there upper body or both.

KISSmyACE
01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
That’s a good thought about moving your hands inward but try and watch some other riders not all of them hang way out to the side and they still get the job done. The more over the side you get the more likely you are to lose the leverage you have with your feet. The leg and foot that is hooked over the seat should not come off the pegs when you turn. If you are hanging over that far then can’t stay in complete control. I don’t do much more then hook one butt cheek over the edge of the seat. You want to be able to shift and break while you’re hanging off the side. Say your making a left turn and your right foot is off the peg and the rider in front checks up or starts to spin out you can’t get your foot back down and break in time. The same goes on the other side with your shifting.

Tri5ron had a good idea of moving the controls in some and try it out first.
Look at a bunch of racing pic of riders in corners and you’ll see that there many ways to hang off the side. Some hang there butt and some hang there upper body or both.

As far as making a left turn, you can still brake without your foot being there. Your front brakes are far more effective as your rears locking up will cause you to slide and lose traction. I think it may be more effective for yall to hang one cheek over the side cuz you have more weight to displace than I do? I don't know, but yes I have watched many other riders, and have been paying closer attention to riders my size to see what they do and how they handle it. The reason I am trying to do the bar thing is because I do try to get off farther than I am able to reach to corner better and cannot stay on the throttle at the same time. I see what you're saying though, definitely and I agree. Thats kinda my issue, I want more control with my hands/upper body.