PDA

View Full Version : Making a Track on some of my new Property

jasonanderson1
01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Hey everyone i finally got some of my own private property, and i am eager to build a track with some nice new jumps. I tryed the other sections and knowones answered so im back to the good ole honda threads. My old track had a nice 40ft table top, a 35ft double, and another little double with some very nice berms. We are sick of this spot and is beat from such hard riding. Now that my family owns new land im looking on tips to making a track. Yes its all woods with trees but i have a chainsaw and am ready to chop if i cant weave in and out or need another jump. So any suggestions or ways to make it easier for making a track would be greatly acceted. By the way, id like for it to be more of an MX style but i know it cant be full mx with somekinds of trees, but id like to make it as close to that as possible.

Thanks, Jason.

TRX01
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
well sense its all woods, ur very limited on the track idea....thats unless u wanna cut alot of trees and dig alot of stumps.....soo i dont no what i would do if i was in ur shoes:confused:

jasonanderson1
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by TRX01
well sense its all woods, ur very limited on the track idea....thats unless u wanna cut alot of trees and dig alot of stumps.....soo i dont no what i would do if i was in ur shoes:confused:

Its in the woods but its open and allot of skinny young tree's, nothnig that would really get in the way i rode back tehyre recently to check and its not bad at all just some rocks adn smalls trees and a few big ones but we could move anything in the way mayube pobbily rent a bobcat or some kind of tractor if needed, but im devoted to going all out on a track. I mean i wont ba able to make it a supercross track r anything but i can amke it nice with some 75 ft tables tops and some big double, theyres also some hills for some nice berms.

TRX01
01-10-2010, 05:41 PM
oh....gotcha.....sounds like u got some sike plans man.....if u or when u start to do this,,,keep us posted on it...sounds awesome

jasonanderson1
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by TRX01
oh....gotcha.....sounds like u got some sike plans man.....if u or when u start to do this,,,keep us posted on it...sounds awesome

I will im supposed to be starting tomorrow me and my firend are riding back theyre with a chain and are guna start chopping down trees and trying to get some berms up. All tips will be appreciated from what kind of jumps to how to build them. Cant wait for all this. I may rent a bob cat if any of you know the prices on these. Thanks tho.

BRAD6160
01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't know where you are located..but to rent a skid steer (bobcat) run you about $200 per day

slightlybent47
01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
First off you may check and make sure you don’t need a permit. If you move a lot of dirt you may have to deal with the flood control district. The next thing is assuming all required permits are in hand is how close is your nearest neighbor. You don’t want to do all that work and find out you can’t ride because of the noise. Once you get that out of the way then you are going to need a lot of dirt “I mean a lot”. Try to put up a sign for fill dirt wanted. Get all your dirt on site first, while you are waiting for the dirt you can start to clear some of the small trees that will be in the way. Plan what the lay out will be before you start. Now would be a good time to do your lay out since the vegetation is dormant and you can see what you are doing. Think about what kind of jumps you will want, tables are the safest and the easiest to work your way up to. Make sure that what trees and brush you do cut that you don’t leave sharp ends sticking out. Cut all the limbs flush with the trunks of the trees. You want to make it as safe as you can but still be fun. You will also need something on site to prep the track as the weather will erode the track. Use round up to control the weeds on the jumps. You have a lot of work to do good luck.

jasonanderson1
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
First off you may check and make sure you don’t need a permit. If you move a lot of dirt you may have to deal with the flood control district. The next thing is assuming all required permits are in hand is how close is your nearest neighbor. You don’t want to do all that work and find out you can’t ride because of the noise. Once you get that out of the way then you are going to need a lot of dirt “I mean a lot”. Try to put up a sign for fill dirt wanted. Get all your dirt on site first, while you are waiting for the dirt you can start to clear some of the small trees that will be in the way. Plan what the lay out will be before you start. Now would be a good time to do your lay out since the vegetation is dormant and you can see what you are doing. Think about what kind of jumps you will want, tables are the safest and the easiest to work your way up to. Make sure that what trees and brush you do cut that you don’t leave sharp ends sticking out. Cut all the limbs flush with the trunks of the trees. You want to make it as safe as you can but still be fun. You will also need something on site to prep the track as the weather will erode the track. Use round up to control the weeds on the jumps. You have a lot of work to do good luck.

Ok thanx for the info, i will be starting tomorrow. I already have a few people i no for fill now. I might rent a bobcat and dig it all up and then start some jumps bt i gota see what the costs are so it might not be able to be soon but will eventually i cant wait hah thanx for the info.

honda400ex2003
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
put in some nice tables, whoops, berms, and such. I tend to stay away from suggesting doubles and such since it becomes easy to miss for other riders. if you are confident that you can do them then you can make them too. steve

jasonanderson1
01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
put in some nice tables, whoops, berms, and such. I tend to stay away from suggesting doubles and such since it becomes easy to miss for other riders. if you are confident that you can do them then you can make them too. steve

yea i can hit doubles pretty good i can land the one on my old smaller track that was a 41 feet exactly it had that and a big a** table top. So im guna really put some nice jumps in thanks for the advice. Il keepe veryone updated.

slightlybent47
01-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Here is a few more things to consider. Think of how you want it to flow, use the design of some other tracks when you lay it out. I like two or three obstacles or jumps in a row before each turn. Try to make the turns wide enough so can practice deferent approaches in and out of the turns. The number of jumps you have is not as important as the quality of the ones you have. In order to keep it in good shape you’re going to have to invest in a tractor with a front end loader or a bob cat. Your going to need something with a front end bucket in order to do the faces right, just a tractor with a box blade wont do the faces very well. And you’ll want to be able to change it up from time to time. Then also remember to consider drainage as well. You will probably spend as much time prepping as you do ridding, but it will be worth it.

Good luck

camaromitch
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Sounds like you are going to have a nice place. I have a JD 2320 with a front end loader and a box blade, and I would recommend the Bobcat. Unless you get a skidsteer loader you won't be able to see the bucket that far in front of you. All I can see is the top and the back and it makes it hard to tell when it is flat with the ground, especially when you start carving up a ramp. I have somewhat learned where my bucked is and have a level indicator but it is still very hard. If I were going to get something just for that kind of work I would recommend a bobcat. That's just my $.02 though.

Where are you at anyways, I'm in northwest missouri. I'd let anyone try my tractor out for a day or so for free for that kind of work.:)

slightlybent47
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by camaromitch
Sounds like you are going to have a nice place. I have a JD 2320 with a front end loader and a box blade, and I would recommend the Bobcat. Unless you get a skidsteer loader you won't be able to see the bucket that far in front of you. All I can see is the top and the back and it makes it hard to tell when it is flat with the ground, especially when you start carving up a ramp. I have somewhat learned where my bucked is and have a level indicator but it is still very hard. If I were going to get something just for that kind of work I would recommend a bobcat. That's just my $.02 though.

Where are you at anyways, I'm in northwest missouri. I'd let anyone try my tractor out for a day or so for free for that kind of work.:)

I'd listen to the man he is right a bob cat will give you the most versitle tool for the job. a tractor and bucket will get the job done but the bob cat will do way better.

oh and you had better save your lunch money there not cheep.

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Around how much are they? I guess i could just rent one wheneer i need it. And im in Nj thanx tho.

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Good news, today me and 2 friends went back theyre and shaped out a .75 mile loop. We brought a chainsaw, which all most chopped my leg off, but after that it was smooth sailing we got a few good berms started and cleared it out its still in the making, the jumps are going to have to around trees becayuse theyres no way for 16 yearolds to get out big stumps. We guoing to be doing work 3 times a week, if anyone wants to help or ride on it all riders are welcome.

wrekd
01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Id look for an older truck to have around there. Doesn't have to be road legal or anything. Probably could find one around $500 or so. Its always good to have one around to haul stuff and you could pull the stumps out with some digging and saw work. You could even test out the jumps with it :p

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by wrekd
Id look for an older truck to have around there. Doesn't have to be road legal or anything. Probably could find one around $500 or so. Its always good to have one around to haul stuff and you could pull the stumps out with some digging and saw work. You could even test out the jumps with it :p

Yea i may do that i am thinking still i dont have much money or a job and 16 so i gota pick out wat needs to be done in order.

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
and its guna be more of a mix of xc and mx mix. Becuase therye are short straight aways, because i cant chop down a 5 foot diameter tree or 2 here and theyre. But its coming along and will be good one day.

slightlybent47
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Just work on it as you can, theres no hurry.

bergoff
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
the last track that we built we had a dozer and 2 skid loaders. it helps whe the neighbor has a dozer we can borrow just cost fuel. it knocks trees down with ease. if you can make some good step ups they are a blast.

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by bergoff
the last track that we built we had a dozer and 2 skid loaders. it helps whe the neighbor has a dozer we can borrow just cost fuel. it knocks trees down with ease. if you can make some good step ups they are a blast.

nothing will chop down a 5 foot diameter 95 foot tree (that will ever be in the hands of a 16 yearold.

bergoff
01-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jasonanderson1
nothing will chop down a 5 foot diameter 95 foot tree (that will ever be in the hands of a 16 yearold. you would be surprised the dozer that we used was huge. 6 foot tall blade we took down some 4 footers you had to hit it a few times. have fun and you will change it a few times.

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by bergoff
you would be surprised the dozer that we used was huge. 6 foot tall blade we took down some 4 footers you had to hit it a few times. have fun and you will change it a few times.

I will well so far i dont real want to hav cut down everything in sight so theyre wil be some trees but it won be bad atleast wide enough for 2 quads side by side to fit. And theyre will be many sweet jumps. Im thinking about an 80 ft table top? not sure tho i wnat some doubles to

camaromitch
01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by jasonanderson1
Around how much are they? I guess i could just rent one wheneer i need it. And im in Nj thanx tho.

Actually my brother said he just saw one locally for $3000. The nice thing about a bobcat is they are such damn workhorses that you can get an old small one pretty cheap that will still do the work. I'm gonna guess it is a couple years away for you but it is definitely something to look forward to. Happy riding buddy!

jasonanderson1
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Actually my brother said he just saw one locally for $3000. The nice thing about a bobcat is they are such damn workhorses that you can get an old small one pretty cheap that will still do the work. I'm gonna guess it is a couple years away for you but it is definitely something to look forward to. Happy riding buddy!

well im not one to get work done slow so its probably goign to be done by the spring.