PDA

View Full Version : problems with 04 450r. kind of long, bring a chair

zdowell
01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
so, i have a 04 450r. i have owned it for a couple of years now. when i bought it i put a full exhaust on it, k.n., cut the air box and jetted accordingly. i will have to look up what i put in for jets. so this summer i started having problems. it ran perfectly up to half throttle then after that it sounded like it was hitting rev limiter. after a few rides like that i went to go work on it. i changed the spark plug, cleaned and checked the jets, moved the clip on the needle down just in case it wasnt getting enough fuel, and cleaned the air filter. after all that now i cant even touch the throttle with out it dieing. i am going to work on it tomorrow and try and figure out what is wrong with it. i think the most recent issue, not being able to touch the throttle, is possibly a vacume line that is disconnected. i went through that carb and everything was completely clean. i know this is alot of info i hope someone can shed some light on this one. thanks

eastside 400
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
there are no vacuum lines, check out the stator and the CDI, for the cdi there is no way to check it besides swapping it with a known good unit. Check the valve clearance and check the timing, it might have spun the cam flange

d3ktrix
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
The false rev limiter is normally a sign of it getting too much fuel.
And a bog, cut out, flat spot in the acceleration could mean not enough fuel.

Could be something stuck in the pilot jet if it cuts out when you touch the throttle.
That has happened to me before.

zdowell
01-10-2010, 08:25 PM
im sure the jets are clean. the part that gets me is that before i worked on it this last time, it ran just fine except for the bog after half throttle. is that possible for the cam flange? even now it idles just fine just seems like its just not getting fuel. i will have to borrow my friends 450r bible and check everything for alignment. thanks for any input

ss440ex
01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Does it die when you are slowly giving it throttle?
Whats it do when you stab the throttle?

Trying to determine if the pilot jet or passage is clogged.

Good luck.

zdowell
01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
right now if i jab the throttle it will die. if i go slowly i can get it to rev up a small amount before it dies. i guess i didnt think to spray out the passage in the carb. is that what your thinking?

d3ktrix
01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
right now if i jab the throttle it will die. if i go slowly i can get it to rev up a small amount before it dies. i guess i didnt think to spray out the passage in the carb. is that what your thinking?

Just cleaning the jets doesn't always free everything up.
Soaking the whole carb in carb cleaner then blowing all the passages out with the air compressor is the best way I've found.
Take the slide out of the carb too, get at every passage you can with the air compressor.

It also could be because u moved the clip down on the needle, flooding it out when the needle starts to lift out of the main jet.
I wouldn't think 1 clip position would kill the bike though. It is the 1 thing u changed while u had it apart though, so worth a shot.

zdowell
01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
i will clean the entire thing tomorrow. off to the store for about 3 cans of carb cleaner. i really want to fix this myself, i do not want to pay a dealer hundreds of dollars. someone want to tell me more about this cam flange?

eastside 400
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
sometimes the cam flanges will spin, the piece that the cam gear bolts to is just pressed onto the cam and will spin causing the valves to be out of time, line up the crank marks and see where the cam is at

d3ktrix
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
i will clean the entire thing tomorrow. off to the store for about 3 cans of carb cleaner. i really want to fix this myself, i do not want to pay a dealer hundreds of dollars. someone want to tell me more about this cam flange?

lol probably cheaper to buy a gallon can that comes with the little basket to lower parts into the can and let them soak.

zdowell
01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
i will see how much the gallon would be. be nice to be able to soak the entide thing. its ok to soak the 1 or 2 sensors that are on it right? im going off memory that there was like a throttle position and something else... i remember something while typing this on the john ha hah.. that i swaped out my cdi box with a buddies to see if that was the problem and that didnt make a difference. the cdi box is under the hood, about the size of a pack of smokes or something?

d3ktrix
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah the CDI is under the hood.

When I soak carbs I prop them in the can so the TPS sensor doesn't go in the carb cleaner.
And I don't soak the float bowel because it has the rubber plunger in it for the accelerator pump. That or I pop I out.

zdowell
01-10-2010, 11:01 PM
just for reference i looked up what i put in it for jets. 185 main 50 pilot and now one down on the needle. thing that gets me is i rode my quad ptobably a couple of hours not being able to go full throttle, something stuck in my main jet or main passage for that matter, might be clogging it. idfk this **** really makes me mad!

ejmoan1
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Im pretty sure it is the rev box because mine did the exact same thing. It was hard to start, you could touch the gas unless you pressed it slowly and you could get it up a little. we cleaned the carb and as last resort we changed the rev box and it worked.

zdowell
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
the rev box is the cdi right? i checked that already with a known good one. i did look into a gallon of carb cleaner but didnt agree with the price. so i bought a few cans of just spray stuff and a pan to soak it in. im goinb to find some cheaper stuff

d3ktrix
01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
where is the rev box?

Rev box = CDI
Same thing, diff name

blasterboy16
01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Try checking out your voltage regulator. My 05 was doing similar things had carb all redone ending up being my voltage regulator.

Conant19
01-16-2010, 04:21 PM
check the stator and timing my 04 is on its 3rd stator now it eats them up some how but check that and then make sure your values arent to tight and timing is correct

zdowell
01-16-2010, 04:36 PM
whats the easiest way to check timing? right now the quad is in pieces at my house. im going to check the carb out again. how do u check a stator? and what kind of problems do u get when it goes out?

Sjorge450R
01-16-2010, 06:33 PM
whats the easiest way to check timing? right now the quad is in pieces at my house. im going to check the carb out again. how do u check a stator? and what kind of problems do u get when it goes out?

remove both timing plugs on the right side of the motor and then turn the crank using I believe a 14mm or 17mm socket until the slot on the smaller timing hole plug lines up with the T on the crank. Then to make sure that you are on the compression stroke, make sure that the cam lobes are facing backward. Then see if the cam sprocket lines line up with the cylinder head. Very simple.

here:
http://webpages.shepherd.edu/ghott01/valveadjustment/valveadjustment.html

skip to step 6. Very well written tutorial.

zdowell
01-16-2010, 06:42 PM
thanks for the info. i ohmed my stator and it read 1.4 ohms. its suppose to be .1 to 1. but your suppose to check it at 68 degrees and its like 20. until i start it i cant get any other readings for the stator. as for my carb its pretty well taken apart. im going to let it soak today and on monday put it back together. fingers crossed its the carb. :/

CRE Performance
01-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Is the main jet holding tube tightened all the way down before the locknut touched or was tightened?

zdowell
01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
actually i was going to ask about that. Are you suppose to tighten the tube down snug then tighten the lock nut? can u over tighten these jets?

Lquad71
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
mine did the same thing as what u are describing when i was jetting it....i have a kn filter..kn filter lid..motoworks full exhaust...porting and polish..and a cam....if all you have is afilter, cut airbox, and exhaust..i think you are way too high on jetting..because i am running a 185 but i think my needle is much higher than yours...i would try some smaller jets

and you said it got worse when you put the needle up? correct...so if you put it back down that means less fuel...try a 180 or 182 or something around there...but i dont know you elevation.

zdowell
01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
i got it together and it runs again. i did lean it up a bit. i set the needle one up from stock. it seems to run good now. tomorrow i will take it on the streets to see if i can go full throttle with no cutting out.

d3ktrix
01-17-2010, 04:19 PM
What all did u do/change?

zdowell
01-18-2010, 10:30 AM
my elevation is like 650. things i did to my quad are clean the entire carb. took it completely apart sprayed and soaked everything. i moved my clip one above stock to lean it up a bit. i cleaned my air filter and that was all i did. today i hope to try and see if i can go full throttle again. i will let u all know soon as i do some testing.