PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable install

jayrodau
01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I have never installed a clutch cable before and I have searched all over the forum thinking someone would have some instructions on how to do it. If someone could point me in the right direction with some instructions or give me a brief tutorial it would be great!

Thanks!

honda400ex2003
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
make sure you run it the same way as the other one so it doesnt bind or melt. make sure it is not hitting the header also. there are 2 points you can adjust it at. the top at the bar and on the motor mount. i would suggest making most of the slack come out at the motor and leaving the adjustment on the bars in all way this way you have less chance to get stuff in it to gum it up. also then you wont have to adjust it at the motor anymore for a while also. otherwise it is pretty easy to finish up just unhook them from the lever on the bar and the arm in the motor. you will have to possibly take the lever assembly off to get enough slack to get the ends out of each of them. also do not let the arm for the clutch spin around once you take it off, it has a spring inside that can come loose if you are not careful. other than that you should be good to go. steve

ukweasel
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I found it easier to access when I removed the heat shield on the header pipe. I noticed on mine which is an '05, the cable needs to split the two header pipes (approaching from the top), while on my buddies 99 it doesn't run between. It looks like the newer ones' left side header pipe has more of a curve that has a little more room to work with. Obivously if you replace it the same way it was on before you shouldn't have problems.