PDA

View Full Version : need tools help

draygarcia
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
anyone know where i can get the tools to set the timing or how i can do it with out them any help thanks anyone thanks

X400EX
06-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I was asking myself the same question? Do I really need the tool?

DS1026
06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
BCS has the tools to do the job. When you do the timing be sure to use red loctite on the tapered shaft or the gear might slip and get the timing off. Also be sure the shaft is 100% clean. Anything on the shaft will make that gear slip and cause you issues that you don't want to deal with. Hope that helps.

X400EX
06-06-2010, 07:38 AM
It helps, thanks!

florentino
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by draygarcia
anyone know where i can get the tools to set the timing or how i can do it with out them any help thanks anyone thanks

you dont really need special tools. buy the book
all motors are almost the same.
#1 you have to get top dead center . theres a only one mark at the at the fly wheel .

now is a good time to check your valve chearence

once you have tdc you will notice the marks on the cams.
each cam has 2 marks and should point up and out.

#2 relase the tension on the cam chain. then remove the cams.

this is for yamaha yfz 450 and ltr 450 i am sure the can am is the same way i have not mess with mine yet. but you get the idea

X400EX
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I've done it without any tools, only the book. I've found my TDC with looking at the piston thought the spark plug hole, didn't look at the flywheel. I might take a look next time.

florentino
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by X400EX
Yeah, I've done it without any tools, only the book. I've found my TDC with looking at the piston thought the spark plug hole, didn't look at the flywheel. I might take a look next time.

if you dont have top dead center you can bent valves and bad timing. there is a small plug by the fly wheel so you can find your timing mark. also you must turn motor at the crank with a socket and it has to be the way the motor turns all the time.