PDA

View Full Version : no oil

coreyownz
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
if i have no oil that means i need rings now right? it was smoking blue for a while and stopped glad i just checked the oil its not even on the stick

honda400ex2003
01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
did you ride it right before you checked it? there is a specific way to check it also. consult the manual to see the proper way to do it since at the moment i forgot lol. i know you let it idle for a few minutes on level ground. do not hit the gas at all. then turn it off, clean the dipstick and i believe stick it in without screwing it in all the way. I dont check mine too often, if it is on the dipstick somewhere i am good lol. if you ran it dry then you may be in store for some other things also including rings, and possibly some different bearings and such. Although you didnt say it locked up or anything so you still had some oil in it. steve

coreyownz
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
oh. thanks ill do that in the A.M if it needs rings i guess itll be down cause im saving for a new snowmobile

honda400ex2003
01-09-2010, 06:44 PM
just cause it smokes doesnt mean for sure it is the rings. it depends on when it smokes. it sounds like it could be smoking on startup and then going away from your first description. Does it smoke under hard acceleration too by chance and especially when you first start it up for the day? this could be the valve seals also if these are the symptoms. If it smokes all the time then it is most likely the rings. just my .02 though, steve

coreyownz
01-09-2010, 08:30 PM
i really appreciate all the help im pretty new to fourstrokes alot more complex than my blaster and 85's were

honda400ex2003
01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
no prob, it could just be the start of something a bit bigger that is all with the smoke. it all depends on when it is doing it. steve

coreyownz
01-10-2010, 06:36 AM
its mostly when i first start it up it smokes like a whiteish blue but that should just be condensation right? i never looked but my friends say it smokes blue when im realy on it. that would mean gas and oil is geting past the rings?

F-16Guy
01-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Probably just valve seals. If it were rings, it would smoke all the time, and probably more heavily. As long as you're not using a lot of oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

rocky_mtn_honda
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
i've got 4 new valve seals that came with my complete gasket kit...i already bought mine from honda so i didnt need these...i'd sell em for 5 bucks a piece plus 5 bucks shipping.

coreyownz
01-10-2010, 03:23 PM
thanks but ill run it till it blows and at my job ill get the parts cheap enough thanks though

F-16Guy
01-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by rocky_mtn_honda
i've got 4 new valve seals that came with my complete gasket kit...i already bought mine from honda so i didnt need these...i'd sell em for 5 bucks a piece plus 5 bucks shipping.
You can buy a set of four for $6.

rocky_mtn_honda
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
last i checked they we're $6 a piece at my local dealership and most places online.