PDA

View Full Version : how to u make a good set of rear ice tires?

800screws
01-09-2010, 04:38 PM
i used 1/2 screws with cheng shin ice tires and filled them with slime...the screws ripped out and slime sprayed all over like a busted paint can....then the tires wouldn't hold air because of the holes from the studs....i was hoping the slime would fill the holes, which it didn't and i was hoping the 1/2 screws wouldn't pierce through and they did....

what's the right way to do it, so they will last?

and by chance anyone have a good rear setup with honda pattern rims they would like to sell?

Chris 75
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
use 1" screws when I ice raced thats what I would use and never had a problem even had air a year later I used the black cold cutter screws I belive every body that used shorter screw always had a problem and only one screw to a nob and if you have the time and patience cut the corners off the knobs so it just stud cut them on an angle though so the bottom of the knob is still whole

Chris 75
01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
also use a clutched screw gun set just strong enough to run the stud in so you dont over screw and start ripping out the hole

800screws
01-10-2010, 12:08 PM
man...that's what i used! cheng shin ice tires with 1" screws, 1 per knob....my 500 ripped them out right and left, leaving me with a hell of alot of holes!

Mrs. SFRacing
01-10-2010, 07:17 PM
You can nut the inside of the studs so they dont pill out,if you do this use 1.50 or longer screws.

extremetrucker
01-14-2010, 04:28 PM
find screws with more of a coarse thread, and lube them so they cut rather than tear the rubber going in, and dont overtighten.

TrailerHauler
01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I usually use a good used set of stock rears, and anywhere from 100+ 1" studs. I've been using KoldKutter's, just got back from riding on a lake this past weekend and had a blast.
If you have real issues holding air, try making a tire liner out of a used tire or something along those lines. Run the studs into the tire liner. If the tire liner is thick enough so that the studs don't go through it, you can run a tube like all the guys on bikes.