PDA

View Full Version : bearings?

lilguy450
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
hey guys im planning to get my frame powder coated and my front hubs too....i was wondering what would happen if i didnt remove the bearings in the steering collar and the front hubs what would happen? all the seals are out but would it damage the bearings? i would be telling the pc'er to mask off those areas

thanks

250rPRIDE
01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
i wouldnt run them after, also i may mess up the powder the grease will heat up and run out of the bearing at the oven temp..
just take them out do it right

86 Quad R
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
what 250rPRIDE mentioned is true not to mention the funes from the grease will contaminate the atmosphere in the oven. i'd not suggest it.

lilguy450
01-10-2010, 12:31 AM
how do i take out the bearings in the steering collar and hubs? also who can do it for me and how much?

thanks

250rPRIDE
01-10-2010, 06:40 AM
its easy just turn your frame upside down and hit it out..i use a old 3/8" extension, or find a socket that barely fits in the stem hole and hit it out. remove the seal first with a pick or little flat head, if you have the ability to tear your r down to the bare frame for powder, you should be able to remove those bearings like nothing. goodluck let us know if you have any problems. also if your doing a complete resto and want to make your bike right replace all these bearings while its apart, you dont want to get your build done and 2 rides later find out you have to tear ***** back apart because you reused a $10 bearing!! make sure you do swinger bearings too!!!

86 Quad R
01-10-2010, 08:22 AM
do you have a service manual lilguy? if not, i'd suggest that you get one. it'll pay for itself in a short while.

to remove the stem bearing referr to attacment.....

to remove the hub bearings, you'll want to remove the dust seals and then heat up the hubs with a small propane torch. once you've heated it up, the bearings can be knocked out from the opposing sides with a drive and small hammer. reverse the process when installing. hope this helps. :cool:

lilguy450
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
ok cool thsnks for the help....do.you think I can put the hubs in the oven to heat it up? Also which way do the bearings come out of the hubs?

thanks

86 Quad R
01-10-2010, 05:38 PM
lol thats between you en your boss in regard to the oven............ :eek:

seriously tho, the bearings come out seal side. if by chance corrosion has set up in there. you may want to soak with penetrating oil for a spell prior to heatin' em up. :cool:

250rPRIDE
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
you dont want to heat the hub and the bearing that kinda defeats the purpose. you want to heat the hub so it expands and not the bearing, the oven will heat both items...
when you reinstall it helps to put the new bearings in the freezer for a half hour or so and then hit the hubs with a torch when your ready to install the ice cold bearings they should almost fall in, hold them in for a while because the heat will try to push the cold bearing out..
goodluck

86 Quad R
01-11-2010, 06:36 AM
not really defeating the purpose. if you think about it, the aluminum will expand about 6 times that of the metal in the bearing and when heating the hub with the torch the transfer of heat to the bearing will have the same results in a short time as heating it as a whole in the oven.