PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning stock header pipe

jayrodau
01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I want to clean my stock header pipes. They have turned orange/rust color.

Should I use a fine sand paper? what grade?
OR
Some sort of polish?

2007TRX400EX
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
i used steel wool, took it right off. then i painted it black with high temp.

tbrackman84
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
is the high temp paint holding up good?

01-10-2010, 08:42 AM
i did mine like 2 weeks ago with dupli color high heat header paint thats good up to 2000 degrees and its holding up great.

JOHNDOE83
01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
mine was bad i used wd40 and a fine wire wheel and a medium wire wheel on a grinder and mine looks new and hasent rusted yet that was 3 years ago use the medium to knock it all off then the fine to kinda polish it off and spray with wd40 while using the wires not to much or itll spray everywhere, try to use a variable speed grinder so you dont do to much at once mine came out great just be cautious and dont go crazy with it. to be safe id try the steelwool method first and see if it works.

jayrodau
01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
mine was bad i used wd40 and a fine wire wheel and a medium wire wheel on a grinder and mine looks new and hasent rusted yet that was 3 years ago use the medium to knock it all off then the fine to kinda polish it off and spray with wd40 while using the wires not to much or itll spray everywhere, try to use a variable speed grinder so you dont do to much at once mine came out great just be cautious and dont go crazy with it. to be safe id try the steelwool method first and see if it works.

Thanks...I got a scotch-brite pad for my drill and it has worked great knocking the rust/dirt off. I worked on a small section and sanded it with 1000 grit paper. Then I polished it with some wheel polish and it looks almost close to chrome. I see this being a 3 day project for it to look good. I dont know how im gonna get the rust/dirt between the headers and in the cracks.

KISSmyACE
01-10-2010, 11:47 AM
muriatic acid will take it right off, wear gloves and dont let it get on anything else lol