PDA

View Full Version : More sad news for quads

blacknblue#2
01-08-2010, 09:26 PM
This seems to be happening alot, or well i had read about it alot on here now its hitting close to home and effects my riding group, here is the email that i got today from what was our local track :(.................................... Hello everyone,

Thank you for the 2009 season. I hope everyone had a good time and is looking forward to coming back in 2010. With the snow
falling it doesn't seem to be the time to talk about outdoor motocross. Our 10 ride pass and free membership deal will be on sale for the remainder of January and the month February. The price for this package deal will be $80, it is a $165 value. Only 50 of these passes will be sold. Due to overwhelming response in 2009, this package will be sold on a "first come first serve" basis. To order this package deal please call numbers above. Now on to a few changes for 2010. The first change will be that New Vienna Motorsports park will have 4 AMA motocross races for 2010. AMA races will be held on a brand new Hillside track and we will do a grand opening AMA rider appreciation day (TBA).

The 2nd change will be the elimination of quads on all tracks.
Quads will still be allowed at the park for trail riding and pit riding ONLY. This is a business decision based solely on the amount of quad members vs the number of bike members and the complaints to eliminate them. This was not a decision made solely against quads, it was made so that New Vienna Motorsports will remain open in the future. If you are a quad rider and you want a track for quad riders only, please contact me. If enough riders show enthusiasm to ride at New Vienna Motorsports park we will build you a quad track for quads only. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The 3rd change will be time changes on the tracks to make optimum riding conditions. When the season begins there will be a two month calendar available on the website and in the office to tell you all track times open and closed, all prep times on each track, all future events happening within that two month period, and all sales available in the office.

The 4th change is that we have decided to do our own concessions this year. We will carry prepared foods and frozen foods for your convenience, made to order upon request. Hot, fresh, and ready in 15 minutes.

The 5th change, New Vienna Motorsports is proud to announce that we will be carrying a line of parts for most makes and models. All will be available in the new and improved and expanded Pro shop in the office. Due to major retail bike shops closing, i have elected to do this to try and earn extra cash for the track and to save our riders money.
A: Spend $150 buying parts and accessories from us and receive a free ride.
B: All New Vienna Motorsports members receive a 10% discount on all parts and accessories.

We will start with a small amount of inventory and expand in the future. Will carry most parts needed for track riding that day. All other parts needed can be ordered.

Sorry the e-mail is lengthy but being New Vienna Motorsports members you should know the upcoming changes coming this year.

To be removed off this e-mail list please drop us a line with your e-mail address and we will promptly remove you.

Thanks to all, MJC
Owner and operator of New Vienna Motorsports park

gsxr68
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
what i hear a few times a year I know they say it comes down to money but the tracks around hear still gripp about turn out and still will not let us ride. My hope is they go out of bussiness

TNT
01-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
The 2nd change will be the elimination of quads on all tracks.
Quads will still be allowed at the park for trail riding and pit riding ONLY. This is a business decision based solely on the amount of quad members vs the number of bike members and the complaints to eliminate them. This was not a decision made solely against quads, it was made so that New Vienna Motorsports will remain open in the future. If you are a quad rider and you want a track for quad riders only, please contact me. If enough riders show enthusiasm to ride at New Vienna Motorsports park we will build you a quad track for quads only. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We have a local quad/bike series went through the same thing. For years we raced together, bikes complained about quads ruining thier ruts/tracks so we seperated out the quads/bikes to two different MX series that race the track at two different times. The track is prepped differently for each but not altered a lot. A good track crew knows how to make this happen.

Lately to take track crew expenses down since the bikes out number the quads on weekends bikes get a Sat practice then the Quad races run after, then Sunday bikes run races all day, like 300 bikes to 65 quads is the ratio. We also still have a night SX series that runs on Sat night we all get along, pull alot of fans from both.

We're a "Motorcycle Club" with annual membership fees of $150 to practice all you want, race seperate fees. Quad entry fees are $10 higher to offset low turn-outs.

You quad guys have to pull together, maybe offer some work, ideas like above, flagging at bike races, etc.......Show some interest and #s or you get what you deserve. Lots of the quads in our area about 65 on average about 5 are willing to do what it takes the rest just complain do little or go to dunes/trails not races. Can't blame owners sometimes they need to make a profit like any business.

01-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I like the "Complaints to get them off" part. At the local track here some bike riders will get pissed when I pass them. lol. One *** here brake checked me and I ended up flipping the YFZ on top of me. :p

LTMFB
01-08-2010, 10:02 PM
wow, that sucks and is unfortunate...but win their hearts like others said!

gsxr68
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
tnt are you a dirt bike rider my guess is yes why are you on a atvriders message board oh yea dirt bike riders are to arrogant to stick together enough to have a good message board

Ntensweapon
01-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I've never understood tracks turning away people with money in their hands.

sexysilverado45
01-08-2010, 10:25 PM
i don't know much about tnt but i do know his son races quads. so umm, good try on the dirt biker guess.

TNT
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by gsxr68
tnt are you a dirt bike rider my guess is yes why are you on a atvriders message board oh yea dirt bike riders are to arrogant to stick together enough to have a good message board

No I have nothing to do with bikes but know quads VERY well, Fought many, many, battles with bikes guys locally past five years, guess I'm arrogant lol. I pretty much ran or consulted the ATV series at our mainly BIKE MX Club that do not like quads, fought and fought and fought the battles with them, and know what it takes to make a successful ATV series at the local level, call it arrogant but it's much more than 10 quads showing up for a race....the bike guy's will complain. We found that a big percentage of them went else where when around quads just the way it is and track owners don't like it. You can't fight this riding with the bikes it's a loosing battle, we do kick up alot of dust and we flatten thier ruts.... no all bikes are not arrogant, that does not matter, some quads are, what matters is numbers and profits. Would you let quads in when the numbers are low and loosing $, and running off your bike profits NO! This is not the only place in the country this happens, don't blame me just the way it is! Think about it.

You have to seperate them and the quads HAVE to show profits and get involved or it won't happen. We break even at 65 quads paying $10 more or $35 class to race than bikes $25. Now you get the picture?

Next year they banned the Rhino's, I'm so tired of fighting did not say a word let someone else fight now but nobody else bothers, they just get on forums and complain call bike guys arrogant, bikes laugh since they are the ones that flag the quad races and prep thier track not one out of 65 quads have flagged or worked a tractor at a bike race, arrogant bikers!! :rolleyes:

TNT
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe I'll sit this one out just trying to help the OP. Good luck!

TNT
01-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Thanks, I should take his comment over to our bike club where most of the bike guy's hate me for fighting for quads....they get a chuckle out of it or two.........oh brother! Forums! :D

Ellingsoc26
01-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I live with a bike rider being a little brother so trust me i hear allll about it. I say they ruin the track we leave it rideable they make it so gay with their 10 in deep ruts its not even fun anymore b/c they all go in the same spots around the whole track!

KXRida
01-09-2010, 12:48 AM

don't be mad at us. This attitude is why all of our tracks are closing. I guess our arrogant ways just keep our tracks open.

shane071489
01-09-2010, 12:57 AM
everyone got your boots on $hits getting deep haha

BakerRacing40
01-09-2010, 08:26 AM
its every where, hear in the big ol ok the big xc series is occra and they've increased so much with the politicking and crying about each other.. well one guy got fed up with it and has started his own series for quads only, o and side by sides too.. so i'm going to be supporting the ATV Motion series this year.

it's always going to like oil and water... you can put them in the same barrel but, they'll never mix..

cycle guys are pricks nine times out of ten. there's decent, cool, nice, ones... but their not found often..

yellowzo3
01-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Happened here in NJ as well at Englishtown. Now dirtbikes have 2 tracks all to themselves and quads are allowed on TWICE a YEAR (and only on one track). I think its pathetic how they even had the balls to mention that they got rid of quads because of people complaining.

That's straight up poor management.

They didn't even try to resolve the problem.... they just eliminated quads from tracks altogether. I bet that "track" they're going to build you guys if you all complain is going to be the most boring pos ever.

The quad side of mx is going downhill. It was doing great and peaked when the WSPA hit T.V. ...but ever since then we've been going down fast.

I guess just try to gather all the quad riders you can and maybe take a trip down there for a meeting or something? Let them know how you feel. If all you guys keep your cool at the meeting and throw out some ideas maybe they'll work something out. Gotta show 100% interest for them to take it seriously though.

blacknblue#2
01-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I saw this comin for the past 2 years but didnt wanna admit it. The owner of this track always seemed like he was one of those guys that felt like a quad should not be on a track. I wrote him a nice email and kept my cool. We were always cool with everyone at this track. Ive smoked 85% of the bikes that went there but i never once got cocky or mouthy with any of the slow ones cause they were slowing me down and such...i always spoke, and offered my assistance so that i could keep our group of quads on good terms with everyone because yes we were outnumbered. Ive called all my buddies up and talked it over. A track of our own is in the early stages right now. If that dont take off then ill prolly just go back to trail riding and keep my set-up for any races that may come around. With gettin older and takin on more responsibility i cant afford to travel 150 miles every weekend to practice anymore like i used to thats why this news hit me hard. This track was 45 minutes away. We have a nice indoor track thats about the same distance away but is usually shuts down about March. Maybe i can contact the owner there about a possible outdoor track.

yellowzo3
01-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah it's definitely a shame. I think we all see it coming in our areas and it seems like once it starts people just keep catering more and more to bikes.

As for the outdoor track that's just in its beginning stages... Do you think the owner will let you guys come down and offer some tips and maybe plan out the layout a little bit? That would be a great way to get involved with it and also get them to build you a decent track that'll be fun to ride on.

Jim417mx
01-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Quads were eliminated at one of our indoor tracks that race a series during the winter, but luckily enough for us, a new indoor track just opened up a few months ago, they say racing should be starting within the next couple years when insurance and other things settle down.

On the other hand, I live right in the middle of walnut (sunset ridge), and Redbud, so I'm very fortunate for being able to ride practice and race their local races whenver possible.

At our one local track, they get about 30-40 quads per race, so I'm sure they are keeping quads, but once again on the other hand, our other local track gets 1-2 quads per race.. It's not even fun anymore, so theres no telling if quads are getting cut or not. I know the owner pretty well and I'm there 2-3 times a week riding so I doubt he will cut them, but theres always the chance.

As for dirtbikers hating quads, they need to grow up. Like somebody else mentioned, they get pis$ed when you pass them , and thats if they even let you around them, half the time they ride down the middle of the track and wont let you pass, when I do find an opening, I nicely take off in front of them without much roost.. trying to be a nice guy, but when they pass you, they shoot rocks and dirt all over you and it stings sometimes even hurts , I let EVERY faster rider pass me, dirtbike or quad, I will pull to the side of the track and yield, and put my hand up to wave them by, but do I get any repspect in return? Nope just a buncha people talking sh|t.

One last thing, our local track has A&B practice together, and then we get stuck with C riders who cant ride for sh|t, its not even fun for us to ride, so we're getting screwed there also.

After my 5 years of racing experience... dirtbikers are the ones that are immature, us quad riders are just trying to do our thing and ride, but cant ride without getting dirty looks at the track, I'm not saying ALL dirtbike riders are d|cks, but well over 75% of them are.

TWISTED DINLI
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I saw this comin for the past 2 years but didnt wanna admit it. The owner of this track always seemed like he was one of those guys that felt like a quad should not be on a track. I wrote him a nice email and kept my cool. We were always cool with everyone at this track. Ive smoked 85% of the bikes that went there but i never once got cocky or mouthy with any of the slow ones cause they were slowing me down and such...i always spoke, and offered my assistance so that i could keep our group of quads on good terms with everyone because yes we were outnumbered. Ive called all my buddies up and talked it over. A track of our own is in the early stages right now. If that dont take off then ill prolly just go back to trail riding and keep my set-up for any races that may come around. With gettin older and takin on more responsibility i cant afford to travel 150 miles every weekend to practice anymore like i used to thats why this news hit me hard. This track was 45 minutes away. We have a nice indoor track thats about the same distance away but is usually shuts down about March. Maybe i can contact the owner there about a possible outdoor track.

i got the same email from him dude and yes this sucks bad! there is no longer any local tracks now that allow quads. the owner is stupid for doing this. but i seen it coming ever since he bought the park. the first year he owned it he raced dirt bikes first during the day, made the quads sign up at 3, and then we never got to practice till about 5 sometimes close to 6 and by then it was getting too dark to even ride so we only got like 3- 4 laps. and then in 2009 he didnt allow quads at the races so now that there is no quads allowed at the park, it really doesnt suprise me any. i wish tom, the previous owner, would have never sold it. he had awesome tracks and ran some nice races and always had good turnouts for quads. im probably switching to bikes this year because there are no places to ride local anymore on quads and money is tight and cant afford driving a couple hours away to ride.

KXRida
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Jim417mx
Quads were eliminated at one of our indoor tracks that race a series during the winter, but luckily enough for us, a new indoor track just opened up a few months ago, they say racing should be starting within the next couple years when insurance and other things settle down.

On the other hand, I live right in the middle of walnut (sunset ridge), and Redbud, so I'm very fortunate for being able to ride practice and race their local races whenver possible.

At our one local track, they get about 30-40 quads per race, so I'm sure they are keeping quads, but once again on the other hand, our other local track gets 1-2 quads per race.. It's not even fun anymore, so theres no telling if quads are getting cut or not. I know the owner pretty well and I'm there 2-3 times a week riding so I doubt he will cut them, but theres always the chance.

As for dirtbikers hating quads, they need to grow up. Like somebody else mentioned, they get pis$ed when you pass them , and thats if they even let you around them, half the time they ride down the middle of the track and wont let you pass, when I do find an opening, I nicely take off in front of them without much roost.. trying to be a nice guy, but when they pass you, they shoot rocks and dirt all over you and it stings sometimes even hurts , I let EVERY faster rider pass me, dirtbike or quad, I will pull to the side of the track and yield, and put my hand up to wave them by, but do I get any repspect in return? Nope just a buncha people talking sh|t.

One last thing, our local track has A&B practice together, and then we get stuck with C riders who cant ride for sh|t, its not even fun for us to ride, so we're getting screwed there also.

After my 5 years of racing experience... dirtbikers are the ones that are immature, us quad riders are just trying to do our thing and ride, but cant ride without getting dirty looks at the track, I'm not saying ALL dirtbike riders are d|cks, but well over 75% of them are.

If there's a faster rider just hold your line if need be and they'll get around you. I personally prefer that. I hate coming up on people and they feel the need to start cutting all over the track to get out of my way and almost end up taking us both out. Just hold your line.

Being both a former quad racer/rider and a bike racer/rider I can see both sides of the story, but there is no hiding the fact the bikes bring in the majority of income to mx tracks. Sad enough to say, if the bike riders ain't happy, no one's happy. The local track here used to have open quad/bike practice. After a week shut down for track prep the word was the quads tore the berms apart and killed all the bike ruts. Most of the track work was done by local racers, so quad practice was cut down to saturday's only or the track was going to start scheduling down time for practice prep.

The other local track does a split practice with quads if the turn out is big enough. We do half an hour sessions for quad, then alternate to bike with a quick track grooming inbetween. I kinda like this format. It keeps everyone happy.

As far as the roost? I'm sorry to say, (yah may sound dickish) but I'm at the track for me. I'm there to work on my riding. I'm not concerned with what is coming off of my back tire while I'm railing a berm. Yes, if there are other riders (especially younger or inexperienced) I am considerate of them. Roost is part of the territory. If you don't want to get dirty stay out of the dirt.

TNT
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Good post and ideas above......

Money ALWAYS talks louder than words and can resovle most matters. Present a business plan to the owner that makes him a profit even progressively and he/she will listen. Initially that may involve some losses to quad people, but compared to “no track to race/practice” it may be worth it to the local quads. If you had to rent/buy land, get permits, tractor’s, buy insurance, travel miles per year to ride, you can easily see you would be overwelmed by too many expenses to make a profit or worth while.

Best choice is to present a creative business plan to this owner, he seems receptive, as I said it will require at least one or two of you to get deeply involved.

First you need to show income in your plan. Get with local shops that service or sell quads or other industrys that can offer services to them, try and obtain Series sponsors. Tell em they can come to races and sell/set-up booths. Start a Series web page like on face book or where ever that puts sponsors, racer profiles so family and freinds can look at thier kids online and see the series info too. Pass out a TON of flyers, advertising is key! Others may provide conttingency money or other types of support, food booths, etc.....be creative!

Other income will come from race fee and gate fees, estimate your income, may have to pre-sell tickets at an organized prep practice just to get a feel for this. Add up what you have to charge for race and gate fees to off-set indirect expenses. Pro-s pay a 80% pay back to begin and higer race fees to offset it.

Direct expenses related to the track or gas, oil, maintenance for the ground equipment. You-all may need to learn how to run the tractors, flags do-it-yourself, trained ER has to be there by insurance/city ordinance and will cost, clean-up do-it yourself, etc. Manage the series take the burdon off the owner.

Once you have a plan that shows the owner it’s a win-win growth potential investment they will listen and let you all ride!...AND gain more respect and support from bikers.

KXRida
01-09-2010, 12:59 PM
This is a good proposal to starting to get the tracks back. Something I do to the local track owners that they really appreciate is offer my services. I'll be right there with him refacing jumps, building flager stands, or something as simple as kicking rocks off the track. The more involved everyone is and the more equal the work load, the easier it is to maintain and keep a quality facility.

snacob14
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Missouri Harescramble series cut quads out three years ago. Best thing that ever happened to the quads. We now have our own series (OXCracing.com) run by quad guys and tracks built by quad guys. Now the Missouri Series is complaining about now selling as much concessions and having trouble affording insurance for their events.

muddy400EX
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
this is the reason ive always wanted to switch to bikes. noone hates on you and you have double the places to ride:(

dan harris
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I built and opened the Breezewood Proving Grounds MX park because I believed there were enough quad riders wanting a Great Quad and Bike facility.

We run both Quads and Bikes, with about a 50/50 turn-out, alot of weekends we have more quads then bikes. Riders love coming in the gate and seeing the "we love quads" sign. I try and keep the tracks groomed for both bikes and quads - not always an easy challenge.

Honestly everyone needs to get along, Its bad for all of us when we can't share the same riding area's!!!! No one has that many places to ride - we should all be greatful and appreciate one another !!!!

muddy400EX
01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by dan harris

Honestly everyone needs to get along, Its bad for all of us when we can't share the same riding area's!!!! No one has that many places to ride - we should all be greatful and appreciate one another !!!!

amen! everyone needs to see, that even though were on different vehicles, were still in the same sport:)

zyoung04
01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
i heard about this the other day i honestly thought about borrowing grave digger from gary porter driving it from columbus and just demolish everything there i really liked that place........bill dont u even pull a drgnerth on me and ryan u know what happed to him once he bought a trailer

Tommy131
01-12-2010, 04:38 PM
this is bull****! i had fun riding there, anyone wanna send them some emails to try and get a quad track?

slightlybent47
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Some dirt bikers are cry baby’s. Nuff said

KXRida
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47

Gotta go where the money's at :eek:

TWISTED DINLI
01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47

yes they are. the owner is a dirt bike lover and has always hated quads even at his old mx park. he allowed quads just for a little while and then shut them down. and now the dirt bikers complain about quads at this track, and he shuts them down because he wants to make the dirt bike guys happy.... hes a jerk. :mad:

TWISTED DINLI
01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Tommy131
this is bull****! i had fun riding there, anyone wanna send them some emails to try and get a quad track?

tommy i dont think it would be worth it really beause there isnt anymore room there. he has 3 tracks. the one we raced at a couple years ago, the intermediate track next to it (which is now a "so called" supercross track [lame]) and then theres the big hillside track that tom raced on. unless he could build one at the bottom of the hillside track but it wouldnt be much theres not a lot of room there. and he would never maintain it like he does the bike tracks, only because he hates quads.

blacknblue#2
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by zyoung04
i heard about this the other day i honestly thought about borrowing grave digger from gary porter driving it from columbus and just demolish everything there i really liked that place........bill dont u even pull a drgnerth on me and ryan u know what happed to him once he bought a trailer

haha no worries of that, my quad aint going anywhere unless its for a YFZR or a KTM....If i get hard up for money ill burn the trailer and collect insurance before i quit riding haha.......i found more battle wounds yesterday tho, my subframe is broke so now i gotta get that welded and re-powdered................As for you local guys, we all need to email Newvy and at least voice our opinion, ive done emailed them once with no response which makes me mad. from what ive seen in my past 4 years of going up there most of the quads that did go there were fast, and the dirtbikers hated it gettin passed by a 350lbs quad(especially by me, a FAT guy on a 350lbs quad). I really dont wanna beg newvy to build a quad track I Just want to voice my opinion. Rumor has it that Nikki Earlywine has been discussing an outdoor track. I think right now is the time for her to do it. She will get alot of the business i think.