PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? about changing my jet tomarrow

letsroll450
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey i got my 05 450 and its got that rossier full exhaust and k&n filter, its got the 180 rossier main in it, im looking to go to a 182 tomarrow to try n richen it up a little, i know the header glows and its a little lean, im just not exited to harm my motor rather have it a little rich than lean, with the 182 How many turns out on the air fuel screw?

d3ktrix
01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Going from a 180 to 182 isn't much of a difference.
If your riding in these cold December temps you could prolly get away with something in the 185-190 range.

ss440ex
01-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Is the air box lid on or off?

letsroll450
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
the air box lid is aftermarket, and im not looking to change it alot dont matter what i do the header is still going to glow, i just to know how many turns out not what jet to run, the 182 will be fine for the winter time

d3ktrix
01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
You won't have to touch the A/F screw just from changing the main from a 180 to 182. Its hardly anything.

And from my experience, if a 180 main is good for summer temps, u'll need more then a 182 for the 20-30 degree winter days.
Each to their own though.

letsroll450
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
understandable, but it runs fine, no problems at all the 180 is tha main that rossier recomends for there full exhaust and thats what i have in it, but as far as 180 main jet the cold weather will make it run just a little lean, going to a 182 should be enough to richen it up a little for the time being. Not asking to make it run better, just so i feel better moreless. I could probally change to a foam uni filter so it wouldnt run lean also with the 182

veenser2000
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
just do a plug test and your answers will appear...

letsroll450
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Well i changed to the 182 today, left the k&n filter on and left the air fuel screw where it was, the header dont glow anymore on idle all but about a inch and the plug is light brown which in my opinion is good. Runs fine now the 182 did the job

d3ktrix
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Did u do the plug test with a brand new plug at wide open throttle then kill the bike w/o it idling down then pull the plug?

Pulling an old plug out after the bike has been idling won't tell you what the main jet is doing.

And the main jet won't affect how much ur header glows on IDLE. Your mixture at idle is controlled by the pilot and A/F screw.
It was probably just darker or colder out the last time making the glow more noticeable then this time.

letsroll450
01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
yea i always check my plugs like that.. yea i know about the jet thing, but it did change it I ran it today and it glowed past the bend to the weld in the header, and i shut it off changed to 182 and started it within the hour and now it only glows maybe a inch down. I dout the weather would change in 1 hour, but its good now, im not worried about it running on the rich side, just dont want it on the lean as that could cause more problems then it would help

zdowell
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM
someone back me up on this, but are u looking at your header in the dark or a garage? my quad glows at night and 2 of my other buddies do the same. you would never notice during the day but at night mine is like a neon sign probably 6 inches down from the head. i was told even the stock exhaust would do this. i have a full hmf, k.n. and cut air box. i will look up what my jetting is

d3ktrix
01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
someone back me up on this, but are u looking at your header in the dark or a garage? my quad glows at night and 2 of my other buddies do the same. you would never notice during the day but at night mine is like a neon sign probably 6 inches down from the head. i was told even the stock exhaust would do this. i have a full hmf, k.n. and cut air box. i will look up what my jetting is

Yeah header glow should only be visible at night time, if it glows at all.

I've seen headers that will glow on a cloudy day if they are running really lean. One time my friends bike was so lean that there was literally sparks jumping off the header. Which was caused by an air leak.

08ex4
01-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Yea mine glowed down to the weld after the bend, and i got the rossier full exhaust, i changed to that 182 main and it only glows 2 inches at the max now, I was told if it glows past the bend its running to lean, and thats not good for a long period of time, i would recomend going up in your jets