View Full Version : Steering stem

Scott Quintrell
01-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Can anyone tell me is there aftermarket steering stem that can be used on the DS 450x mx 2009 as I put mine on it side and bent it. it was a soft roll OR can they be straighten

comander420
01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't straighten it, there should be enough stock ones that people have taken off for the anti-vibe one on from BRP that you should be able to get one cheap. If it hadn't been so cold here I would have changed mine and sold you my old stock one pretty cheap. Also LSR, Houser, and I am sure many others sell the aftermarket one as well as the BRP one that is anti-vibe as well.

draygarcia
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
i think tag makes one to i did the same to my bike you can probally get one on ebay like 50 stock the aftermarket run about 250 or more

xrxmxcx
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I have stock in Can-am BRP stock stems up the wazoooo.

TNT
01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
You can straighten it maybe depending on how bad it is. I've done it before.. How did it bend? Did you roll the quad? Typically these 4130 steel stems see little bending as mounted, just torsion from the tie rods in and out along the bar length itself, not from non-axial loads bending it, so if you straighten it will stay as long as thier is no binding at the mounts/clamps. your good.

I'd take it out and roll on a flat surface like a 6x6 wood block and hit it with a 5-lb sledge to get in back in round, maybe put some rubber over it to keep the finish good, have a buddy with a big work boot step on it to hold it down, mark the high spots then quick blows to them and keep doing it. Id at least try. I've done it before in the quad hitting it untill the binding was gone bars straight with a sledge on a YAM practice bike. Unless you want perfection and the bars feel weird after or binds your good.

Don't know about you but I got other things to spend money on for the quad, if I can fix it it gets fixed not replaced.

xrxmxcx
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by TNT
You can straighten it maybe depending on how bad it is. I've done it before.. How did it bend? Did you roll the quad? Typically these 4130 steel stems see little bending as mounted, just torsion from the tie rods in and out along the bar length itself, not from non-axial loads bending it, so if you straighten it will stay as long as thier is no binding at the mounts/clamps. your good.

I'd take it out and roll on a flat surface like a 6x6 wood block and hit it with a 5-lb sledge to get in back in round, maybe put some rubber over it to keep the finish good, have a buddy with a big work boot step on it to hold it down, mark the high spots then quick blows to them and keep doing it. Id at least try. I've done it before in the quad hitting it untill the binding was gone bars straight with a sledge on a YAM practice bike. Unless you want perfection and the bars feel weird after or binds your good.

Don't know about you but I got other things to spend money on for the quad, if I can fix it it gets fixed not replaced.

I'd find someone with a good ole' press before i got out the wood block and sledge hammer, too much room for error. Your everyday shop press should be able to straighten it.

Scott Quintrell
01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the replys everyone:)

I will try to straighten it for now, doing what TNT said to do, then I will be looking at Houser steering stem as they look like they have some give in them with the top rubber mounts. All I did was I was on the high side of a burm and the front wheel dug in on a rut and it went over, I even had enough time to jump onto my feet still hanging onto the handle bars.

being so isolated in the top end of Australia this site is great. once again thanks for all your help

xrxmxcx
01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Good luck with that, let us know how that works out for you!