View Full Version : sled guys a little help please

woodsracer144
01-08-2010, 07:25 PM
i have a 96 polaris indy lite that i got really cheap from a buddys day,

it was in a shed and isnt the prettiest thing around... the seat is torn and all that and the windshield is cracked,

i got it not running, but now i got it going, its still a little doggy on take offs, i think the jets might be plugged a little bit still...

to my question now, i only can get goin 60mph, 62 once, and both these are WIDE OPEN on hard compact trail...

the motor is a 340 fan, i understand that its not a 440 sno pro, or anything like that and im not looking for the 100mph+, im just looking to get at least 70 or 80, at most mabie 90 out if it, i have alot of open feilds and i dont want to be pinned the whole day and then end up blowing up the sled,

i was thinking about getting it re geared but how many more teeth should i jump and where should i jump it at? the upper or lower? if i gain 2 at the top and i take away 2 at the bottom how much of a chage would that make? im going to loose some take off speed... mabie add 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom...

like i said the sleds not in the greatest shape, i got it goin but i need to work on the rails cause i broke the limiter strap and messed up the rails... thanks for the help...

400exrider707
01-08-2010, 08:37 PM
That speed sounds close. I had a 96 AC puma 340 fan and I could only get 67mph on glare smooth ice, no snow. I would lose close to 5mph of top speed with a full tank of gas. They're just underpowered. I wouldn't bother changing anything though. You can gear it lower for more lower end, but you hit a field or a lake and everyone leaves you in the dust (even worse than now). Just ride it the way it is and have fun on it.

woodsracer144
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
well im not looking to do 90,

i talked with another guy and he said he was about do 70 with his... i could use a track but i dont feel like dropping the money on it...

i just wanted to know what gear would make a bigger effect.. the top or the bottom?

Tommy Warren
01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
clean the carbs and put a clutch kit in it that should help but you can gear it to do 80 but it will take a weekend to get up to that speed. its not meant to be a fast sled

400exrider707
01-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
well im not looking to do 90,

i talked with another guy and he said he was about do 70 with his... i could use a track but i dont feel like dropping the money on it...

i just wanted to know what gear would make a bigger effect.. the top or the bottom?

Taller lugs will only make the top speed lower too, a new track, though helping in the off the line acceleration on snow, will actually make it feel like it lost power up on top. It's like paddles for a quad, it takes power to turn them.

How much do you really want to put into this thing? I know you said you got it cheap...

I honestly dont know about the gearing, the overall size of the sprockets are fairly close together. It's basic principles though, like a quad. The larger sprocket on the rear of a quad will have a less dramatic effect. Think of it havin 38 teeth (stock rear sprocket size for some Hondas), take two teeth away... 38-2=36. Not a huge difference. Now think of it like a front, 15-2=13, much bigger difference.

woodsracer144
01-08-2010, 11:11 PM
well i paid 50 bucks for the sled, and i have to do some welding on the rails... the holes are ovaled out... even if i fixxed it all up and made it mint i dont think i could replace it for the amount i would get, it would take about 300 to make it mint...

300ex mxracer
01-08-2010, 11:26 PM
my sister has a 97 indy lite gt and it does about 65 across a packed beanfield so i wouldnt expect much more out of it