PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bearing Carrier Maint.?

Tofu.Man
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Out of curriosity, I'm wondering how often all you vets recomend replacing the rear beraings and seals? There is no slop in my rear end. Axel is solid no side to side or up and down movement. Should I even worry?

gt400ex
01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
If you have side to side movement then its probably just your axle nut is loose, they work loose from normal use and have to be tightened every now and again. I usually check my bearings at every oil change. If you start felling any play in the bearings change them right away because it dosent take long for them to go really bad and damage the carrier.

Tofu.Man
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by gt400ex
If you have side to side movement then its probably just your axle nut is loose, they work loose from normal use and have to be tightened every now and again. I usually check my bearings at every oil change. If you start felling any play in the bearings change them right away because it dosent take long for them to go really bad and damage the carrier.

I try to check them at every oil change too by trying to move the axel up and down as well as in and out. No movement ever. They havent given me a reason to replace them. Just thinking about some preventive maintenance.

slightlybent47
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I like to check and repack the carrier at least once a year. That means taking it apart and cleaning it up and repack with new grease. I only replace the bearings if they need it.
If you don’t do it from time to time the bearings could seize up and it will make it very hard to pull apart when you do.