PDA

View Full Version : 250x Just Died

GrantG
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I have an 87 250X all stock. I had it out the other day riding in the yard with my buddy on his snowmobile when his sled bogged out so i helped push the sled about 200 hundered feet with my quad when it just died and now it wont run. It fires for a split second when you kick it but it wont start up. Does anyone have any sugestions on what might be wrong? maybe i just fouled a plug?

dman66
01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Try starter fluid spray, to see if it will run. If it does then check carb settings.

rapple
01-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Do you have someplace relatively warm you can park it overnight?

Perhaps you've gotten some water into the fuel system and it's freezing.

I'd also check the carb vent lines... if they got blocked up by some snow, that would kill the engine pretty quickly.

GrantG
01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Kind of, I keep it in a shed and i hae tried a bit of gas line antifreeze but still nothing

dman66
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Any luck yet with starting back up?

GrantG
01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
no not yet, it will just fire once real quickly and then nothing at all

dman66
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Did you try a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up carb? Be extra carefull near gas fumes!!! Could be and sounds like no fuel to engine. I'd pop off the gas line at carb, put gas line to a small container, and open up fuel tank to see if you are getting gas out of tank----Try both on position and reserve position of tank. If you have fuel, then suspect the carb. Maybe water in fuel or worst yet old fuel intank, which can turn to sandy material, in carb ports.I rebuilt my carb, and it was very simple to do. Good luck.If all that checks out, may want to check timing.

stuntin andy
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
i axidently blew my 250x up in the snow they seem to have a cold temp problem.... just saying

mxchris91
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM
...make sure the fuel is turned on? :p

GrantG
01-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I finaly got it to run today but it will only start and idle with full choke on as soon as i take the choke off or try to give it some gas it dies. as long as the choke is on and you dont give it gas it will sit and idle all day no problem. anyone have any more ideas for me? this is starting to get anoying.

slugo10
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds like trash in the carb jet to me.

GrantG
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Ya thats what i was thinking to so i went and got some carb cleaner today and tore the carb apart. Its sitting in cleaner rite now. But when i was taking it apart i think i found the problem. The clip on the main jet was broken.

rapple
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Sounds like your carb is just plugged up.

Take it apart and clean all of the jets and passages with carb cleaner. Use a small wire to make sure that all of the jets are unblocked. (A piece of Coax CableTV cable works great, just strip the jacket and leave the center core sticking out)

Avoid getting carb cleaner on any rubber gaskets as it will swell them and ruin them.

Ideally, you should replace the gaskets, but I'd wait and see if the cleaning fixes your problem.

While you're at it, drain the gas, remove the petcock from the tank and clean the screen...

GrantG
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Thats exactly what im doing rite now. i jst havet wait till tomorow to putt it back togeather because the circlip for the main jet was broken inside the carb so i need to get a new one

dman66
01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I had a similar problem this past Sunday, were the quad ran on choke w/no problem. As soon as I shut off choke, the choke lever turned itself back onto full choke. Turns out my timing skipped due to a stretched cam chain. May want to check your timing,,,,

GrantG
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Mine ended up being the clip on the needle jet was broken. changed that and it runs perfect now.