PDA

View Full Version : Yfz450r Ecu Move Mod - Safer Place For Ecu

hendershot106
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I have had many questions about the ECU MOVE MOD i mentioned that i performed on my 2009 yfz450r quad.

This thread will be to explain how to perform this.

I will start it now and add pictures in the next couple days.

hendershot106
01-07-2010, 10:07 AM
First you need to remove the rear taillight and plastic tail light guard as seen in this pic of a new bike under the rear grab bar.

hendershot106
01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Black plastic tailight and ecu guard removed

hendershot106
01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Then Unplug the ecu/cdi black box and remove the ground wire ends from the metal hanger and remove hanger from battery box

hendershot106
01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
When finished unbolting i removed the battery box and sawed the front flush with the bottom of battery and removed the threaded metal inserts from the rear of the battery box that the ecu metal hanger was attached to and sanded the area smooth for a cleaner look.

Sorry for snow... its about 15 degrees outside right now in my garage...and i havent quit riding because of little cold weather:devil:

Eventually i would like to do the lean angle sensor mod as daddio suggested to clean it up and relocate it as well.

hendershot106
01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
After finishing that i used a black sharpie and made a pattern for a cutout at the top of plastic tray that the manual came in.

Make sure you cut out enough for all the harness sizes...the ground ends are thicker than the ecu harness.

I then removed the plastic and cut out my hole for the wire end harness.

Bolted plastic back up. and slid in ends from underside.

hendershot106
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Top view without seat of former manual tray.

I bought a sheet of universal air conditioner foam from Lowes for about 3 bucks. Cut it too fit around the ecu, pushed the foam down into the crevice and slid the ecu inside the foam for vibration dampening and water draining.

I slid my efi controller into the wider area to the rear of the tray and attached with the velcro provided. Although the wires for the controller enter through the side- not the rear.

I also drilled two 1/4" holes in the very top of the tray from the outside under the fender to run a zipty around the harness after connecting to the ecu.

I performed this less than 5 hrs on quad..now has about 30 on it.

No Problems with the move so far.

I achieved my two main goals with it tho-- save weight and move ecu to a safer place.

One crash from a person behind with a little slow reaction to grab the brakes in the first turn and a $350 ecu would be junk....NOT NOW!!!!!

I know there is snow everywhere in these pics too... its been snowing on and off for two weeks...and its awful fun to play in the snow!!:macho