PDA

View Full Version : ssd question !?

ThorR88
01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
ok so can someone please educate me a little on the elka ssd shocks? no clue all i heard is they lower your bike a lot ! .... and wanted to get someones advice.... if you go to ebay i can find houser long travel aarms with the elka ssd's for like $1500 brandnew ! ... whats the deal ? lol cause thats a good deal... thanks !

gtt416ex
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
SSD stands for self sagging device. From what i understand, it works like a PEP ZPS, it's a really soft spring that is used to set your sag, which lowers your ride height

hendershot106
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
SSD stands for self sagging device. From what i understand, it works like a PEP ZPS, it's a really soft spring that is used to set your sag, which lowers your ride height

Exactly. It is Elkas rendering of a zps pep suspension.

ThorR88
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
are they good shocks? or not worth it

hendershot106
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
They dont compare to fox imo. But they are good shocks. It all depends how willing you are to play around with adjustments to get them working correctly for you.

IF you can get a full long travel front end and shocks for 1500 thats a pretty decent deal . Just make sure the shocks are High/low speed compression adjustable and rebound adjustable and set up within 10 pounds of your weight with gear on.

Scro
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
They dont compare to fox imo. But they are good shocks. It all depends how willing you are to play around with adjustments to get them working correctly for you.

IF you can get a full long travel front end and shocks for 1500 thats a pretty decent deal . Just make sure the shocks are High/low speed compression adjustable and rebound adjustable and set up within 10 pounds of your weight with gear on.

One compression adjustment is enough fine tuning for the average rider. High/low is more difficult to get dialed. And if you don't understand what each of them do, you'll probably doing more harm than good when trying to adjust them.

You definately want atleast one compression and rebound, though.

hendershot106
01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
True scro...very true... Didnt think of it that way.

Comp and rebound would be fine for average rider.