PDA

View Full Version : Looking at KFX450R

rayman375
01-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Do any of you own or have you ridden the KFX450? How does it handle compared to the 250R. Just looking for opinions of the Kawi mostly.

Derrick Adams
01-07-2010, 06:20 AM
I spent a few hours trail riding a KFX and it was a pretty decent machine. A little down on power compared to the others in my opinion, and a little cramped.

fastrnrik
01-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I have one. It is a great bike. We built the bike to run TT nationals with. It was a pain to get dialed in because I bought mine in early 07 (even though its an '08), and no one knew anything about them yet, as far as suspension & shock set up, motor, etc. We kind of learned as we went. It was a frustrating and expensive learning curve. The end result is an awesome bike, but in hindsight I should have built a 450R for what we were doing since everyone already knows how to work. But, I am happy with how it turned out. None of that stuff is an issue anymore with the aftermarket products and knowledge available for them now. Anyway, the handling on my Kawi is awesome. We never did get to run any nationals with it, but I raced it locally, and did very well with it. It goes where I want, when I want, and pulls like a train. I also race a 250R and I would go back and forth between both on the same day with no problems. The only "big" difference is the weight. It's much heavier than my R, but that's true for any 4 stroke.

Here's some pics....
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=406464

heelclickinonaR
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I really like mine. I've had it in the dunes, woods, and mx tracks. Worked really well in all the environments. Ergos are great, but taller riders (not me) may have issues with the plastic. In stock form, the power is down, but with mods can be awesome. I noticed some push in the front end while turning, seems to come from the stock tires. Didn't notice it with mx tires on. You will love the reverse. So easy, even a caveman could use it. It will never, I mean never, replace my R, but it is a great trail bike.

rayman375
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not looking to replace my 250r. I've got two so I might get rid of one and get the kawi or honda 450r. Still undecided though, I really love the simplicity of the 250r's.

250rPRIDE
01-07-2010, 02:43 PM
i rode one on the trails for a while and i liked it. it felt small compaired to my 450r and even smaller compaired to my 250r but i still liked it. nice ride from my experiance

adamson350r
01-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Kawi is awesome. Heavier yes. Steers on a dime. Read the new dirt wheels magazine. Brother has a programmer, piped uncorked, and air lid off and his bike can make it up choke cherry at St. Anthany's pretty well. The biggest killer is the intake box hose. K&N offers a box and intake for 118.00 and FCI offers one for a little over two hundred. We met a guy that had an intake a Dasa pipe a programmer and it just screamed. It beat my brothers by four or five bike lengths. He said the intake made the huge difference. And they are really inexpensive right now. Dealerships are selling them for five to six grand 08s brand new.

Nick C
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
kfx 450r is a great bike IF you get an exaust system with fmi, fuel customs intake, and a new seat kit with comfy foam!and tires. It will hang with any 450 with similar mods. not meant for taller riders in my opinion, I'm 5'9'' 180 and it hauls *** with these mods and feels perfect! For sale buy the way, $4000 obo