PDA

View Full Version : Airforce

shane071489
01-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Been looking for a new job was selling real estate but housing market is dead here...whats up with the airforce ive thought about it for awhile is it all whats its cracked up to be? big step since you cant just quit haha...what do yall know or think?

extremeblastr
01-07-2010, 02:16 AM
i did 2 years in the national guard and am currently managing a night club, if things don't pick up real quick like here i'll be enlisting full time in the air force. if you don't have anyting holding you back from doing it other then you might not like it then i say go for it the military is a great experience in any branch.

quad59
01-07-2010, 06:37 AM
I was active,now in the guard and work for the DOD during the week as a civilian. From what my recruiter buddy told me is they will sign you up but your not going anywhere for awhile unless you want to be pararescue,combat control,or a doctor. Big time waiting list. If your looking to leave soon better be all you can be or join the few and the proud.

Mxjunkie
01-07-2010, 07:15 AM
I've been pondering on this idea too guys, I recently was laid off and I've gone to every frickin shop withen a reasonable driving distance and they are all slow or cant hire at the time being.. I really can't see working at wal-mart or the local market because working at a shop I could barley cover my darn bills, I had to quit riding all together cause I couldn't even attempt to go buy some VP for my 250r..

Does anyone have any experiance or know how about training the K9 attack and search dogs for the service men? I heard this is one thing that a lot of the armed forces are now going towards and it's something I'd love to do.

TRX_450
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
well first off let me say that i'm not in the airforce so i may be a bit off, but out of my group of close friends from highschool i was the only one not going in, and theyve all graduated from basic within the last 2 months and heres what i know...

theres a HUGE wait list, ive got other friends wanting to go in as well that are waiting. 2 of my buddies went in for combat control and apparently they only ship those guys out every so often, they ended up getting pushed back 4-5 times for a total of 5 months past their original ship date

for mxjunkie, another 2 of my buddies went security forces as they wanted to become cops as i do when they get out, thats where you'll see your dogs in action

lachland AFB is actually a nice base, i went down and saw my best friend graduate in july and was pretty impressed how nice the base was considering its the only airforce BMT base.

this part is just going on what i've heard from all of my friends together on the basic part of it. within the last 6 months or so they upped basic from 6.5 weeks to 8.5 weeks and so far everyone has told me the same thing that the last 2 weeks of basic is kind of a joke. they stand around like folding laundry and sitting in the day room with not much to do

and lastly after everything every one of my friends said that they would do it again and have no regrets, they love what theyre doing and it kind of makes me regret not joining, but im dug into college and really like the criminal justice program im in otherwise id be in for security forces with the other guys.

hope this stuff helps

shane071489
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
yeah ive been thinking about it for awhile just never made up my mind the pay kinda sucks to start out which kinda scares me i think its 500 every 2 weeks well i have a 500 a month truck payment haha theres half the months money lol only reason i kinda stray away is i dont want to leave everyone and everything behind but everyone i know in it loves it and then every now and then i hear about someone wishing they could get out... i dont wanna be stuck some where not being able to ride and i have no real desire to be shipped to iraq which i wouldnt ***** and complain ha just not top on my to dos hahaha

F-16Guy
01-08-2010, 08:17 AM
www.usajobs.opm.gov

Click "search jobs", then click the desired state and job type.

The Air Force is alright, but it has definitely changed. If you can go straight into federal civil service employement, you'll be much better off. The trick to Federal is that you have to get into the system before you have access to really good jobs. USAJobs is the external hire website (new employees). Once you're in the system, they have another website where they post internal vacanies (only for current employees looking to change jobs). I would say 75-80% of the good jobs are only ever listed internally. The external site is usually where the crap is listed because they can't get any current employees to take those positions. Basically what I'm saying is apply for something that you can live with, even if it's not what you want, and then start looking for internal openings once you're hired on.

And how do I know all of this, you ask?? Because I'm prior AD Air Force, currently in the Reserves, and a full time Federal employee (WG-8268-10 -- look it up).

06typeS
01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I heard 18 months and up waiting list till you even get to boot camp. Have some freinds thinking about it also, and that seems to be about the average they are all getting.

UNBROKEN
01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
i leave for army basic in 2 months i was talking to my station commander he told me he was seeing a increse of recruits because of the economy , if u want to join the militery why not join the army u get to pick a MOS befor u ship to basic and thats ure job theres alot of good ones out there it all depends on how high u score on ure asvap , if ure afraid of bullets then go navy or airforce

F-16Guy
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
i leave for army basic in 2 months i was talking to my station commander he told me he was seeing a increse of recruits because of the economy , if u want to join the militery why not join the army u get to pick a MOS befor u ship to basic and thats ure job theres alot of good ones out there it all depends on how high u score on ure asvap , if ure afraid of bullets then go navy or airforce
You can pick a specialty in the Air Force, too. I guess if you want to be Rambo or if you scored extremely low on your ASVAB you could join the Army, but think about the future, not just four or six years down the road. What careers on the outside correspond to infantry? Not many.

To respond to your latter comment: I'm only afraid of bullets that are traveling at a high rate of speed in my direction. I think I might be allergic to lead, too.

To the OP: Be smart about your military career, however long or short. Don't opt out of the GI Bill in BMT to save a measely $100 per month. Try to pick a career field with earning potential on the outside. Don't be stupid while you're in (drugs, underage drinking, financially irresponsible, etc.). The military can be a huge stepping stone to life-long success, but you have to be smart and make it work FOR you. Even if you just do a minimum tour and get out honorably, you'll be set up for success. You'll have 39 months of GI Bill benefits (something like $1200/mo for school, and anything above books and tuition is yours to keep), and you'll also have benefits such as VA backed home or small business loans. That means that just about any bank will lend you money with minimum qualifications because the government backs the loan and will repay the bank if you default. It can be a good gig, just be smart about it.