PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Stripped Rotor Nut Plug on '03 Z400

cwd09
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I ordered a new one today because I saw that the guy I bought the bike from stripped it or the previous owner of him did. When I went to try and use an allen key to unscrew it, it spun inside the hole with little effort. :eek2: So then I tried a chisel to engrave a slot in the plug so i could then place some channel locks on the chisel and turn but that wouldn't work either! Please help what can I do??!!

cataway
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
if you can take a die-grinder and make a notch near the out side edge then you should be able to use a drift punch and light hammer ,tapping in the right direction should get it to turn .
been there done that

cwd09
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by cataway
if you can take a die-grinder and make a notch near the out side edge then you should be able to use a drift punch and light hammer ,tapping in the right direction should get it to turn .
been there done that

haha yea i tried that for hours but I got nothing but a knick on my knuckle and some blood. lmao I figured that I would go all out and punch a 1/2 inch square using a chisel and then use my 1/2 inch impact wrench and see what happens. now i just gotta get the bottom end rebuilt but its a project bike so im not tooo too worried about that right now. but thanks for the input.

cataway
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
did you use a grinder to cut a notch or just hammer on it , you may have found out that the plug is very hard ,thats why the need to grind the notch, right on the out side edge.
it may even have to be done on opposing sides of the plug.

the other way is to drill 2 holes in it so that something like a small size phillips can be put in each hole them using another longer pry bar between the 2 and turn the plug out . not really the best way as your going to get drill shavings on the inside of the cover.

cwd09
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by cataway
the other way is to drill 2 holes in it so that something like a small size phillips can be put in each hole them using another longer pry bar between the 2 and turn the plug out . not really the best way as your going to get drill shavings on the inside of the cover.

ah ha!! very smart! I'm gonna try that i am rebuilding the motor anyway so im not too worried. :) Thanks!!