PDA

View Full Version : new vs old??

dobbs_450r
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
i was wondering if there is a difference between the frames on lets say a 02 and an 05???

NacsMXer
01-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes, there is.

05 and up frames have new gussets welded up by the upper shock mounts for extra strength. That area is prone to cracking around the frame tubes (happened to my 2000 frame).

The newer frames also have a different mounting location for the ignition box and electrical connectors on the front. Instead of the small tabs welded to the frame to accept the connectors, the newer frames have a single bracket that sits between the upper frame rails/shock towers. The connectors and ignition box mount to this small bracket instead.

There are brackets welded to the upper frame rails to accept the newer style front headlight. And there is an extra tab with a threaded hole welded to the frame next to the front brake T-block mounting location (not sure what it's for).

There are also extra mounts on the subframe on the right side, but again I have no idea what they are for.

All in all, all the old stuff should bolt into a new frame the same way. There's just the minor differences mentioned above.

dobbs_450r
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
hmmm....my buddy wrecked his 05 over the summer and totally mangled the frame and everything up front and is looking for a new frame and what not so i was just seeing if an older frame would still work with everything.

NacsMXer
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Ah I see. Well, taking a newer quad to an older frame is a little more tricky because you lose the extra brackets and what not that the newer frames have. I'm sure you could make it work but you might have to get a little creative as the little details aren't going to bolt up like they did before. But the major components will fit just the same.