PDA

View Full Version : Pipes and intakes

adamson350r
01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
What is the best pipes for a cool head and maybe one into two intake?

Not for drag racing just play quad for kids. What do you guys think about a one into two intake?

misled
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Duncan Racings midrange pipes with the Trinity 2 into 1 carb work awesome . What cc domes in the cool head ?

adamson350r
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I believe they are 19. I have a question for you. We have one cylinder running funny on the right side of one of our banshees. Swapped cages still right side. Just rebuilt the top end.

blowing fuel out the exhaust without burning. Compression okay but it just isn't firing on the right side. Switched spark plug wires and new spark plug and still the same thing.

Do you have any ideas?

tyleroar
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
he is right 100% Duncan Paul Turner mids for play pipes they are the best they even hold there own against drag pipes toomeys are probably next stay away from fmf, pro circuit, dg, bills

tyleroar
01-10-2010, 05:50 PM
i think 2/1 intakes suck !!! you'll sell it later. get 2 33mm pwk you'll be happy

adamson350r
01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't mind keeping the two carb system but do aftermarket carbs still have all the hoses connecting one carb to the next?

tyleroar
01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
you dont need to run any cross overs just take the time to sync them exactly your intakes dont need a cross over tube at all. you can run them individually as if each cylinder was a different motor. by doing that there will be no question next time you have a clogged jet and you will get the most out of your motor!

01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
DO NOT RUN 33's ON A STOCK BANSHEE!!

Twin 33's are way overkill for a stock port banshee with pipes and head. Go with some 28's, they're more then enough. Hell, there's nothing really wrong with the stock carbs if you don't have a built motor.

As far as play pipes, Paul Turner Mids or FMF Fatties. The fatties have a real broad smooth-transitioning power range. Good low end to mid-range.

And yes, stay away from the 2 into 1 intake. I personally think they take some of the responsiveness away from the engine.

adamson350r
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
If we ran a cool head and a set of mid range paul turners, what carbs would you suggest? Something other than stock. They are snag to jet with all the connecting tubes.

01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by adamson350r
If we ran a cool head and a set of mid range paul turners, what carbs would you suggest? Something other than stock. They are snag to jet with all the connecting tubes.

28's max. 33's are way overkill for that.

The stock carbs really aren't that hard. I'm 16 and learned everything about them just by trial and error and working on it.

It's no different then jetting the 28's. There's just the choke tube. They connect to each other and your done.

Carbs in my opinion are a waste of money unless you have porting. My stock piped banshee with stock carbs isn't any slower then ones with aftermarkets.

But if you insist on it, then yes, 28's would work good.

misled
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Those guys are right about the twin large carbs on stock porting . I ride a Banshee with Paul Turner pipes , twin 34's with major port work and lots of other goodies . Ive tuned and put together several Paul Turner pipe kits with the trinity 2 into 1 and the motofast 2 into 1 for other people . If I were doin it again for myself I would go with the 2 into 1 . The powerband is so much more rideable . Its not fast but lots of low end if tuned right . Not to mention , much easier to tune

tyleroar
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
28s are a waste of money 33s are a perfect upgrade you can call builders if you would like you wont loose anyHP by going bigger if you ever want any port work it will compliment it. call a couple of banshee builders and see what they have to say. dont bother with trinity call a real banshee builder like cascade innovations, Redline, white knuckle, rub dubs, k&t all of them made there way building banshees

tyleroar
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by misled
Those guys are right about the twin large carbs on stock porting . I ride a Banshee with Paul Turner pipes , twin 34's with major port work and lots of other goodies . Ive tuned and put together several Paul Turner pipe kits with the trinity 2 into 1 and the motofast 2 into 1 for other people . If I were doin it again for myself I would go with the 2 into 1 . The powerband is so much more rideable . Its not fast but lots of low end if tuned right . Not to mention , much easier to tune
who ported it is it possible your port timing could be jacked?

01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by tyleroar
28s are a waste of money 33s are a perfect upgrade you can call builders if you would like you wont loose anyHP by going bigger if you ever want any port work it will compliment it. call a couple of banshee builders and see what they have to say. dont bother with trinity call a real banshee builder like cascade innovations, Redline, white knuckle, rub dubs, k&t all of them made there way building banshees

Actually you can loose performance. The intake needs velocity to make power, too. The larger the carb/intake, the less velocity the air enters the engine. That's why they work so well on ported engines, the extra porting draws in more air which requires the more airflow, and makes up for the lost velocity.

Too big of a carb on a stock port engine can loose velocity and reduce performance.

33's are a waste if he doesn't plan on getting it ported. He said it's a play bike for his kids. As a matter of fact, ANY aftermarket carb on a stock engine is a waste. A properly tuned stock carb is just as good.
But if he definitely plans on leaving it stock and wants bigger carbs, the 28's are the next best choice.

misled
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
who ported it is it possible your port timing could be jacked?

No dont get me wrong , my Banshee runs good . Real good . But for the ease of maintenance , simplicity and cost , the trinity kit DOES work well with the PT pipes .

tyleroar
01-12-2010, 04:13 PM
i think every thing works sweet with PT mids

adamson350r
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Misled what carb are you running?

misled
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Im running the twin 34mm pj's . Mine is heavily ported with lots of other mods . It runs good . I have been running this combo since 1994 . I won GNCC Open B championship in 1995 , Open A championship in 97 and 99 with this combo .

Like I said Ive put together and tuned several with the PT pipes and 2 into 1 carb and it is nice . If I did mine over again thats what I would do .

QuadOwner
01-17-2010, 10:15 PM
for just playing around, the toomey t5s are the most popular choice. fun power band and they sound awesome, better then any fmf.

tyleroar
01-18-2010, 04:34 AM
t-5s are great pipes! the best pipes for the money. paul turners are the best all arounds though they'll run you about 100 more and worth it because you will be able to run them even if you had a 10mm motor they compliment your bike if stock or heavily modded. like i said, the best trail pipe,in my oppinion, and even hold there own against banshee with cpi's/ shearer's in drags being that the mods are equal while the t-5" may be a little restrictive. t-5's are still a great choice. the other thing about t-5s's is just about every one has them.this bike belongs to a guy in oregon on dune********

tyleroar
01-18-2010, 04:42 AM
trying to post these pics so you can see some other bikes with Paul turners. what ever pipes you like cascadeinnovations.net is the place to go they out source there chroming and the people do a nice job!!! Good show chrome

adamson350r
01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
That is one gorgeous banshee. Paul Turners have a funny bend to them. Does anybody every sell them used or is that a bad idea?

QuadOwner
01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
ive never heard of pt mids having better topend then toomies... and do u work for cascade or something? there prices arent anything to scream about!

tyleroar
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
i don't think i ever said that, but i would have to say yes,and no i dont work for cascade. cascade orders these pipes raw from there they leak test them, every hole they find gets welded up then they prep them and send them off to chrome. they are also an Oregon company so therefore there is no sales tax when you buy anything from them so if you find some thing a few dollars cheaper you might want to consider that. the only thing i said about cascade is that they carry both in show chrome and offer customized legal silencers that meet national forest requirements. what do you know about Paul Turners? here,s what i know, and is a fact, Paul Turners have been on every banshee that"s one any major endurance event! besides planet sand of course those are shearers OOF and customized pipes. i also said Toomey's are probably the best for the money. of coarse if you want the best your gonna pay for it!

QuadOwner
01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
i don't think i ever said that, but i would have to say yes,and no i dont work for cascade. cascade orders these pipes raw from there they leak test them, every hole they find gets welded up then they prep them and send them off to chrome. they are also an Oregon company so therefore there is no sales tax when you buy anything from them so if you find some thing a few dollars cheaper you might want to consider that. the only thing i said about cascade is that they carry both in show chrome and offer customized legal silencers that meet national forest requirements. what do you know about Paul Turners? here,s what i know, and is a fact, Paul Turners have been on every banshee that"s one any major endurance event! besides planet sand of course those are shearers OOF and customized pipes. i also said Toomey's are probably the best for the money. of coarse if you want the best your gonna pay for it!

yes, infact u did say ptr mids have more topend when u said theyd out drag them, which ur the only person ive seen say that. ur also the only person ive ever seen to reccomend 34mm carbs on a stock banshee, but anyway.... did u know toomey made the pipes on the 1st baja winning banshee and years after as well (ever here of T1s and T2s?). many people use toomies and they have more pure hp potential then mids, but it depends what ur looking for. for an all around pipe that'll even run well after porting, toomies are the most popular choice

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 05:26 AM
your right! i dont know anything about banshees. must be making **** up. ill bet your bike is exceptionally fast doing exactly what every one else does! bet you get all that power because you bought the boost bottle too, huh LMAO
adams if you are gonna leave your bike stock never plan on getting a port job get small carbs but get them big enough where it does you justice for dropping the cash. if you hope to do some porting one day i would get the 33 if you ride dunes i would get 33 and if you ride high speed trails.
if you just want to hop logs i would get the TORS eliminator kit and save money towards c/u port etc

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
your right! i dont know anything about banshees. must be making **** up. ill bet your bike is exceptionally fast doing exactly what every one else does! bet you get all that power because you bought the boost bottle too, huh LMAO
adams if you are gonna leave your bike stock never plan on getting a port job get small carbs but get them big enough where it does you justice for dropping the cash. if you hope to do some porting one day i would get the 33 if you ride dunes i would get 33 and if you ride high speed trails.
if you just want to hop logs i would get the TORS eliminator kit and save money towards c/u port etc

dont need to put words in my mouth or be a dick because i disagree. and no i dont have a boost bottle, but thanks for this stupid assumption:rolleyes:

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 11:24 AM
that would be the impression i get from you (being a dick) but if you dis agree, what would be nice is some feed back why you dis agree. some info about what you have experienced, and why. if you choose not to include any of that then you really havent helped any one, have you? all you have said was that toomeys pull harder. well if they pull harder in the wrong ranges it really doesnt matter, does it? cpi's whip the crap out of both of them in hp, but doesnt sound like the right pipe for him. i prefer shearers my self but if he doesnt drag it doesnt matter. just saying nobody really sells pts used most people choose to keep them. i see people selling toomeys on craigslist all the time. there must be a pipe thats better.

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
you come off as an arrogant know it all. toomies are a dime a dozen compared to pts, thats why u see so many out there (for sale or otherwise) must be a reason?? id bet u they outsell pts 5 to 1, but i guess i better ask u 1st:rolleyes: no i have never ridden one with pts because i dont know anybody with them! but out of t5s, fatties, older fatties, pro circuits, i liked the t5s... now tell me what uve experienced, seeing as u havent told anyone either..

01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I also agree with quadowner, although I dont like toomies.

PT mids are an MX trail pipe. No serious drag racer would run PT's.

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
dont dmcs run similar to toomies? or do u have the 2 into 1? u live in stroudsburg huh? im by scranton

01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by QuadOwner
dont dmcs run similar to toomies? or do u have the 2 into 1? u live in stroudsburg huh? im by scranton

No, at least not the toomies I have ridden on.
The DMC's are dead down low, but pull like a freight train from the mid-range up. They like to scream too.

And it's two headpipes and one single silencer. It's the same as the aliens but sound nicer.

I don't actually live in Stroudsburg, I live in brodheadsville which is a little further west.

I take it you ride at the mines too?

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
thats what i meant, the single silencer. no i dont really ride the mines. ur reffering to coal piles right?

01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Yup. You should try em out one day. Its an amazing place to ride!

Real nice to open the banshees up in.

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 03:57 PM
o no, i HAVE ridden them. its just not somewhere i ride when i go. not many people to ride with around here and they closed of a lot of the hills

01-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Oh.

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
yeah, too bad you arent closer, maybe we could ride. u dont have any extra banshee parts like an aftermarket bumper or aftermarket shocks?

01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
yeah, too bad you arent closer, maybe we could ride. u dont have any extra banshee parts like an aftermarket bumper or aftermarket shocks?

Nah sorry. I only have the stock bumper I took off and the stock shocks I took off.

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Awww that is cute! glad i can bring yall together. careful QO, DMC is a minor!

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by adamson350r
What is the best pipes for a cool head and maybe one into two intake?

Not for drag racing just play quad for kids. What do you guys think about a one into two intake?
sorry about the thread hijack adams. Now back to the subject

01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Awww that is cute! glad i can bring yall together. careful QO, DMC is a minor!

Know what's sad? When a 16 year old is more mature, has better grammer, and just as much or more knowledge about banshee's then you do.

Crawl back to your garage, pull down your pants, and go at your banshee. Because obviously it's the best banshee in the world.

:rolleyes:

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
damn, that didn't take long! lol

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
"Crawl back to your garage, pull down your pants, and go at your banshee. Because obviously it's the best banshee in the world."

Trust me, if i could find a way, i would!

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
we should start a new thread, that would be great. your full of good ideas

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
we should start a new thread, that would be great. your full of good ideas

u havent been here long, so if u leave thwe forum now it'll be like u werent even here:macho

adamson350r
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
If you guys want to argue go pm each other. Want to argue about pipes show some dynos. I want a decent set up for teenager bike and I appreciate all comments.

QuadOwner
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
dynos of piped banshees couldnt be easier to find... lets put it this way, just about any pipe u choose will make a big difference from stock and should be in the mid to high 40s hp wise, depending on the dyno. the butt dyno is better though...

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
i have a trinity head you can try out just pay the shipping see if you like it. you can have it ill try to find some pipe dynos for you. but dynos are just numbers. if the power isn't hitting where you want it, the numbers are not gonna mean much. it is ultimately what you prefer

tyleroar
01-19-2010, 08:54 PM
try this link http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/yambanshee/techtips/pipes/pipeinfo.html also i think that there are action dynos on youtube make sure the chart says dynojet on it most of them are so you want to compare them evenly they should at least be done on the same dyno. like i said the numbers dont mean much if you dont use them cpi's and shearer's are gonna have your highest #s

adamson350r
01-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Seeing those dynos is pretty cool. Thanks for the link. Yes I might be interested in the trinity head.

QuadOwner
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
yeah i have that link too, not very telling. no dyno on some of them either. i have an old dirt wheels that has a banshee pipe shootout and on the dyno the t5s produced 46hp, the pt mids were 44. the mids had more bottom to mid, but the t5s had more mid to top in comparison. if ud like to see the charts, just ask

01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
yeah i have that link too, not very telling. no dyno on some of them either. i have an old dirt wheels that has a banshee pipe shootout and on the dyno the t5s produced 46hp, the pt mids were 44. the mids had more bottom to mid, but the t5s had more mid to top in comparison. if ud like to see the charts, just ask

Any chance you can scan those pages of the shootout? I'd be interested in reading it and seeing the graphs.

adamson350r
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Yep I would love the info. That would be great.

QuadOwner
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
here you go:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/yfZsE/001-9.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/yfZsE/002-10.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/yfZsE/003-7.jpg

adamson350r
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Right now of every thing I read or studied on the matter. I am leaning towards PT mid range or the T-6 pipe.

Still struggling if a one into two intake or two carbs.

QuadOwner
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/yfZsE/004-6.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/yfZsE/005-10.jpg

adamson350r
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Do you know if there is a comparison between PT mid range and the the new t-6?

QuadOwner
01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
the t6 isnt too new, came out 7 years ago. from what i have read from many people on www.bansheehq.com (go there and search what pipes they like) the t5s are better, unless u never plan on porting. t6s are purely for stock engines, not to mention u can get t5s much cheaper. i got the "kit" which came with the pipes, air box vents, filter and complete jetting for about $400

01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks! No DMC though..? I love my pipes.

Not to be a pain in the rear, but any chance of scanning it with the text? I wouldn't mind reading that article.

QuadOwner
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
dmcs werent around then

adamson350r
01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't know about DMCS. I have seen how they performed on a raptor and not too impressed. Do you have any access to dynos with them on a banshee?

QuadOwner
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
i can look, but they'll e right in the mix. the aliens with two silencers are supposed to run similars to t5s. o and dont go 2 into 1 anything on a banshee. if u wanna get rid of the air box get the pod filters that clamp right to the carbs

01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I had the DMC alien on my 400ex and LOVED it. It pulled real hard across the board and the top end was great.

The banshee DMC's are just as good. They don't have too much bottom end, but start pulling like hell in the mid-range and gobs of top end. Makes it a real screamer.

It's noticeably faster then the FMF's (which I like) in a drag race.

Both the alien with the dual silencers, and the 916 (single silencer, which I have) are identical power and headpipes. Only difference is the 916 has a center mounted muffler like an LTR which sounds amazing.

01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Review of the 916

http://www.atvsource.com/articles/product_reviews/2000/122700_dmc_pipe_test.htm

2001warriorman
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
for what a play bike pt mids will be more then sufficient if you like to ride it a little more all over t5s, or mabey even fattys. Hell LRD adjustables you can put them where you want. My engine builder recomended power pro inframes they come on sooner then cpi or shear and sign off later too but with these you may have to ring it out a little more to get to the meat of the power band but theyll make more peak hp. Gearing can fix that easily. Run a good quality filter and I reccomend the pro flow adapter plates theyre just a good idea even if you run a lid because the o ring seal and everything keeps dirt out. My engine builder told me on a mx port with boost ports, with ported cages, fmf fattys and a uni filter I could easily run 34s he just said id need to choke down the jetting. You could easily run 28s and theyd compliment more power for every mod you do then 26s. But if you want to do it a cheaper way get rid of the wiring mess and have the performance of 28s get a tors removal kit and send them to kenny kimbler from bansheeboyz.com and he can bore them to 28mm. I highly recomend you talk to him he can tell you any pipe combination or mod in general to set your bike up how you want it. In all honesty you could try those 30mm D slide carbs (I have no experience with them so dont bash on me) And they would out run 28s and get rid of your wiring mess and run better then any 28 when you mod it and will handle a pretty modded motor. Another cheap bang for the bucks an adjustable timing plate. just my 2 cents tho im 14 and am rebuilding my shee right now I actually own 2. Well 1 1/2 one still needs a bottem end and piston to be in business. Just my 2 cents:D

justout
03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
i have had grate performance with my cpi in frame drag pipes. they will make your banshee run like a raped ape. i am also running 34mm carbs with them with some k&n clamp on filters and a cool head and it screems