PDA

View Full Version : heres a good story i need help with!

ZSNOW
01-05-2010, 07:02 PM
well my friend is new to town and has never owned a snowmobile before. He bought a sled from a kid in town that is just a prick in general (not knowing who he was) and he got the sled home, ran great for like 10 min then wouldn't run. my friend brought it over to my shop and i pulled the reed cages out and about a gallon of gas drained out of the cases, the sled was hyrdolocked with gas. i started looking at the carbs to find that the carbs has been sanded on the seats of the slide. we brought the sled back to the kid and told him to fix it or pay my friend back, the kid refuses to do anything about it other than B!tch us out all the time, there was no bill of sale on the sled at all.

on top of all this he shook my friends dads hand saying the sled had been to the dealership and tuned up before the season and just to make sure it wasn't a mess up by the dealer ship we called in the sled and had them check there records, no sled.

what do we do about this? and what would cause the cases to fill up like that?

sorry for the book!:rolleyes: :scary: :huh

400exrider69
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
i'd beat his butt if it were me the bill of sale thing wasn't to good not to get either he's pretty well screwed on getting his money back no bill of sale or anything how much did he pay for the sled

ZSNOW
01-05-2010, 07:26 PM
2500 i think, i wasn't there for the sale.

400exrider69
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
HS that sucks for him i'd say beat the dude for screwing him :devil:

250x_kyle
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
yeah hes pritty much screwed. with no bill of sale theres no proof he even bought it.

ZSNOW
01-06-2010, 04:44 AM
well the kid signed the reg over to him saying that he sold it to him for x amount. so there is proof of the sale. but im sure the kid he bought it from won't do ****, so how do i fix the carbs so that they stop dumping gas into the motor?

gtt416ex
01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
you can buy new ones, or some used ones that are in good shape

XBLASTERRACERX
01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
This same exact thing happened to me over the summer. We bought $5000 quad and the kid and the kids parents promised nothing was wrong and said they would spend endless hours caring for the quad. Well the first race we took it to the battery died and it stalled 3 times. So we took it home took a day to inspect it and found: the axle was bent. frame was cracked and bent, and that the suppossed TC national motor was a bone stock motor minutes from blowing up. What we did was we threatene him with small claims court, but we did have a bill of sale. Unfortunatly that did not work and we ended up haveing to rebuild the entire quad ourselves. Now every time i go to the track I freakin mess with the kid as much as possible. Hope ur friend has better luck then I did!

ZeroLogic
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
New reeds and maybe a new cage.

Also a baseball bat.

SRH
01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
it shouldnt have anything to do with the reeds..... reeds allow it in but shouldnt allow it back out

honestly your friend shouldnt even be mad, he maybe got hustled a bit by the kid claiming it went to a dealer...but...think....your a dealer a person is calling you to see if u worked on this sled...they probably didnt even look it up, just said no incase there was no issues

what was sanded the float valve seat??? this isnt out of the norm if you get old gas residue it will bind up the float valve and make them leak as long as you dont go ape **** and use fine sand paper your ok

check your overflow line make sure there not plugged

check your float adjustment, there is a way to measure or u can take the carb off , blow thru the line and rotate the carb and make sure it shuts the gas off when it starts to get horizontal, upside down it should def not allow you to blow thru the gas line into the carb , if you can you need to bend the tang on the float to make it shut off sooner... if there not adjustable id replace the float after checking the valve seat

if its the float valve seat new ones are cheap under 20 bucks in parts unlimited most mikunis take the same ones

all in all sounds like an average issue for a used sled or quad, only decietful thing was him saying a dealer did it which you really have no proff otherwise...its possible they even roughed up the seats but most repair shops would rather charge you for new ones than mess with old stuff.......

i wouldnt personally hold it against him if he didnt plug off the overflow lines on the carb he probably had no more of an idea it would happen than your friend did buying it, if they are plugged off he knew, your floats leaked and the gas had no where to go but in the motor

the thing ppl never take intro consideration when buying used is alot of ppl dont know enough about quads to know frames break... they dotn even check that stuff when they ride it nor is it an issue if its cracked to them....i buy used stuff daily and ive seen it all , buying used you have to look at only the quad and not what they say, its the only way to do it, not every owner knows there is stuff wrong with the quad, and no owner can see the future

SRH
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
btw if the kid put as is on the bill of sale hes fine

if he put in perfect running order and will not break , take him to court if thats what you want to do

if he put serviced by so and so and u have proof its not true take him to court

otherwise your buddy doesnt have anything to stand on

i honestly feel like if your buying used you should expect minor things like this to pop up

slightlybent47
01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately you can’t go by a hand shake any more these days. You must get it in righting and a clear title.

yfzrider310
01-06-2010, 03:09 PM
My friend just bought a 2000 sno pro 440 and the thing blew up idling the second day of ownership (apparently on a recent rebuild) . He probably put on 30 min. Just a ****ty deal because he spent all his money on the thing. Hes also to nice of a kid to call that guy and try to get his money back. :ermm: