PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy this clutch cable !!

zip69_1999
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I finally got time to install the clutch cable that I was given for my birthday, so I went out and began the task of installing it, I also got my new MSR clutch perch and lever, so I first installed the clutch end adjusted then ran the cable the factory route, attached it attempted to adjust the lever end and then came the problems,

01exrider87
01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
you never specified what cable it was. Also did you adjust the end on the motor also? It may give it some slack at the top

zip69_1999
01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
With the MSR adjusted all the way out the cable still has no tension on it, when I pull the lever the clutch doesn't move, what gives I ask myself??????? So I looked into what type was bought and it turnes out it was Mot@$n Pr@. UGGGHHHH, so after much thought I decided to modify the cable to make it work,

Tools needed:

duck tape
vise grips
torch
cable cutters
right angel grinder
razor blade
cement block
large body of water

First, duck tape the entire cable to a had surface, mabe a log or board.
Next, using the vise grips and razor blade, cut and remove the sheathing from the cable,
Then, using the torch melt the outside sheathing until there is just a pile of plastic,
Finally, tape the remainding metal cable and tape it to a cement block and through it in the deepest body of water around.

Just my idea though, it didn't help my cable situation but it made me feel a hell of a lot better.

01exrider87
01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
HAHA!! sorry to hear that man. A stock cable can be had for around $16 bucks at a honda place considering you have one in your area. Hope all works out in the end

Jersey450R
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
adjust it down by the motor first bro

BlasterEaten250
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I had a motion pro on mine and it worked

zip69_1999
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I tried to adjust it everyway possible, no luck, so I went down to the local shop and bought a new cable for 18 bucks, I showed the problem to a buddy of mine who is really good with bikes and he said he has seen that happen many times from those same cables, compared to the stock cable these Pro cables feel cheap and are made crappy. I won't ever buy another one.

brewster426
01-05-2010, 04:44 PM
just put one on mine yesterday..worked out perfect, maybe u got the wrong one??

tayyo789
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
mine have always been perfect. did you get the right length cable? perhaps you got one for another machine

mineralgrey01gt
01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
same here, never one problem out of my motion pro cables

zip69_1999
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah I just looked again at the packaging, 99-08 trx400ex, oh well, like I said I have already replaced it, but I was really just curious if anyone has had a bad experience with this brand, I know of a few others on here that have had a bad experience. But, i appreciate all the replies.

NacsMXer
01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by zip69_1999
Yeah I just looked again at the packaging, 99-08 trx400ex, oh well, like I said I have already replaced it, but I was really just curious if anyone has had a bad experience with this brand, I know of a few others on here that have had a bad experience. But, i appreciate all the replies.

Here is why you had a problem. Motion Pro only makes clutch cables for the 400EX that are +2 inches longer than stock. Either that, or they can make any custom length (extra charge, custom cable).

The +2 cable would have worked if you had an extended steering stem or taller bars, but with a stock setup it's simply too long. That's why you couldn't get it to tighten up. The packaging says 99-08 trx400ex, but i'm sure it didn't say +2 inches longer either. What a dirty trick haha.

But I wouldn't blame Motion Pro, you just didn't realize your cable was too long for your setup. They make good cables. In fact I had them build me a custom +15 inch "Terminator" clutch cable just so I could route it down the side of the frame. That way it's not risking being melted by routing it through the headers like stock.

slightlybent47
01-05-2010, 07:43 PM
The easiest way would have been to compare the two side by side and see what gives.
I don’t think it maters how long the cable is, it’s the length of the inner cable compared to the outer sleeve that dose.

BRAD6160
01-05-2010, 07:52 PM
What I have found out looking they list a 41" and a 42" cable. Maybe you had the 42" cable.

Jersey450R
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
my motion pro cable has been on my bike for almost 3 years

brokenmike
01-06-2010, 06:23 AM
A 250x cable is longer than stock. It don't matter if the cable is for a +2 stem or not. I never had a problem with motionpro clutch cables. Always worked great

F-16Guy
01-06-2010, 07:40 AM
It doesn't matter how long the cable is. It could be 10' long and still work fine as long as the difference in lengths between the cable housing and the cable are the same as stock. You either got a cable that was defective or improperly packaged, or you overlooked something during the install.

NacsMXer
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
It doesn't matter how long the cable is. It could be 10' long and still work fine as long as the difference in lengths between the cable housing and the cable are the same as stock. You either got a cable that was defective or improperly packaged, or you overlooked something during the install.

Yeah, you guys are definitely right on that one; I overlooked that detail. It's the inner cable length to the cable housing that matters like slightlybent47 said.

zip69_1999
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I have got my factory cable installed, went in perfect adjusted beautifully, when I did compare the two, the motion pro was about an inch longer, I took the time and looked up the numbers on the package and came back as 41" inch cable, must have just been accidently mispackaged. But thanks for all the replies,