PDA

View Full Version : What cylinder should I buy?

CODY_M11
01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Ok so heres the deal. i need a new cylinder. My dad is putting in 250$ since he is part of the reason i need a new cylinder. I have found a stock never opened cylinder at my local atv shop but he wants 400$ for the cylinder alone! No piston or rings or dome. So should i buy this cylinder or just save up a 100-200$ more and go get a ESR 310 cylinder that comes with a piston and everything? I'm leaning towards the 310 but know nothing about the 310s ESR is selling now. Are they any good? Just seems cheaper to me to buy the ESR.

STOCK
400$ FOR CYLINDER
???$ FOR DOME
???$ FOR PISTON AND RINGS
ESR
600-700$ FOR COMPLETE SET UP

IS ESR ANY GOOD TO DEAL WITH? CUSTOMER SERVICE? BACK UP THERE PRODUCTS? PERFORMANCE?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE HELP

CODY

Honda 250r 001
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
esr is excellent. esr is the king of aftermarket 250r parts imo. I would go got the esr cylinder.

CODY_M11
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
i was thinking of getting the esr more. i just dont see buying a stock one for the same price of a 310 when i can get so much more power with the 310. i just heard esr had cookie cutter port jobs

250rPRIDE
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
if you dont go with esr i wouldnt buy that one for 400 you could find a really nice stock one for $100 with a head mabe!! mabe even with a mild port job piston ect for a little more. i am sure there are guys on here with lots of them sitting around collecting dust.. keep your eyes open and you will find something. i bet you could be rippin again for around that 250$ range your dad gave you.. good luck
oh yeah i have heard good and bad from esr.. but cant say for myself i have never delt with them. if you go that route i would call and talk to ed before you order and just see how you feel after that.

86 Quad R
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM
it would be very hard for me to give 400 smakkerz for a oem when you can get the whole ball of wax from esr for a few dolla more. by the time you get everything to make that oem hole, you've spent just as much if nawt more than with the esr kit.

01shee
01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a 330 prox cylinder. ESR porting. Its the bolt on model. .020 over right now. Needs bored and rings and piston. Could run the piston thats in it now. But why its apart mine as well freshen it up. Ill let it go for 400 plus shipping.

1promodfan
01-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I've got an ESR 310 that I bought last year. As a matter of fact I was one of the first ones to buy one of these new cylinders. I have no regrets. For the money you can't go wrong. Yes, they have "cookie cutter" porting, but for $600 you ain't gonna get a full hand done port job. If you are an everyday rider just for fun, you won't notice if its a cookie cutter or not. And if you want it ported, I know a guy that will do you a great job and his prices are very good.

MossboysRacing
01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
i have a 85 cylinder thats .020 over. needs a bore and piston. Comes with new stock head gasket and pro-design cool head w/21cc dome. i only want $125 shipped. A bore is 50 buck and the pistion is $125ish (depends on what piston, everyboday has an opinion) thats 300 total if you buy mine ....;)

honda380
01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
i have a brand new 89' oem cylinder in the packaging. ill sell it for $175 which is what i paid for it. Corey

croat1
01-20-2010, 12:35 AM
CODY_M11 sent you a pm

destey
01-20-2010, 05:57 AM
esr was very polite to me, they were just an unorganized mess

placed an order. 3 weeks later not a word, card uncharged, so I called them. Guy on the phone said yep, i'm boxing it up this morning, should have it in a couple of days.

2 weeks later nothing. called them again, said it shipped out and should be receiving it soon.

2 weeks later still nothing. customer service has no record of me ever placing an order. i go through the whole giving them my credit card again. another week and i finally get my adapter plate.

plate is nice, they were nice on the phone, i just don't trust them with my money. if anyone else made that plate i would have bought it from anyone but them

Ruf Racing
01-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have never had a issue with
ESR's service or shipping orders. That is the exception, not generally the rule. They have a very good product for the coin.