PDA

View Full Version : steering/tie rod help??

bjjmoore
01-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I was just wondering if someone could help me out with how to get my steering nice and square while adjusting my tie rods.

what I did was took a carpenters framing square and set it on the bottom rail of the frame and squared my front wheels off of that. all this was done with the steering stem and handlebars perfectly straight.
Now, after I got one wheel perfect I could not get the other dead on. Does this mean that my frame is bent? maybe there is some other problem? Am I even doing this the right way, maybe there is a better method somebody could give me and help me out?

Thanks guys,
Jay

bigbad400
01-05-2010, 08:52 AM
this is a hell of a issue in adjusting your toe. you need to brace your handlebars straight. you need to have the rider on the machine, and you need to adjust both sides at the same time, its about impossible to get them perfect setting one and trying to bring the other to it. aint sure why but it is. do you have camber caster adjust? you could have one off slightly if you do and it wont read right cus your measuring dif. points on the wheel. i measure center to center on front and back of the front tires. you could have a bent rim, hub, a arm or sloppy bearings too. its a finiky process. good luck

bigbad400
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
you should prolly forget about the square too just use a tape measure and do like i said, center to center on the front and back of the front tires. you need to make the front center to center measurement, match perfectly with the rear center to center measurement. get what im saying? you have to have the handlebars braced thow so they dont move at all. i used ratchet sraps and measured the distance from handlebars to grab bar and made them straight. thats your base point. now you can square up the wheels. if it dont work you prolly have a bent something... but the frame is prolly last to bend. did this help at all? it seems confusing but its not.

bjjmoore
01-05-2010, 07:26 PM
yeah it sounds like I should be able to give this a try. mabe if it warms up a bit here Ill give it a go!!

thanks alot man