PDA

View Full Version : should i go with a 250r

UNBROKEN
01-05-2010, 12:05 AM
hey guys ik were a clean 250r is im not sure on the year but id be trading my excellent running 99 400ex for it i ride trails, train tracks and mx so a bit of everything , i bought my 400ex for the snow as i usallly ride my dirtbike but i might sell it and ride my quad more, heres a pic of the 250r

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/goneyz400f/250r.jpg

and heres the mods : X Factor HD Aluminum Skid Plate
Rear Holeshots 90% tread
Ceet seat cover with gripper panels
DG polished aluminum front bumper
\ DG polished aluminum rear grab bar
K&N Filter
Maier Front and rear Full Plastic
Scott Grips
New Clarke Blue Gas Tank.

do you guys think this is a worthy trade

1989trx250r
01-05-2010, 05:59 AM
The 250R looks nice but you cant tell too much from the picture. You know for sure that your 400EX is in good shape, so keep that in mind. In my opinion, I would sell the dirt bike, keep the 400EX, and buy the 250R!!!

revman
01-05-2010, 08:09 AM
^^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^^^:cool:

IcutMetl
01-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Yep; I like that idea too! However, it might be because I'm more 4-wheeler biased and not as much of a dirt bike guy. That's a tough call to be honest! I had a 400ex as well, and it was a real get-on-it and ride sort of 4-wheeler- reliable and predictable. I have a 250R now and wouldn't get rid of it for anything; it's also very reliable and easy to maintain, but parts are getting harder to come by and a lot of the aftermarket support has started to fade away, but this is the first R i've ridden and I can say that I haven't been on anything else like it...just has a great all around feel. Assuming both wheelers are in equal condition, I think you may have to ask yourself how much you like your dirt bike, how much you like your 400ex, and would it be worthy of taking a gamble on trading either one off.

J.B.
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
I traded my 400ex for my R and i would do it again in a second. My 400 had some nice mods on it, but my R is faster, lighter, handles better, and looks better imo.

UNBROKEN
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
well my 400ex needs some minor things like breaks pads rear bearings just normal wear parts , im realy torn on what to do i only paid 950 for my 400ex so i look at it this way that250r is def worth 950 bucks , the seller said the 250r is a 88 with 86 plastic and everything works nd is not butchared up and the motor has been rebuilt with low hours , so is a stock 250r realy that much faster than my 400ex with a higher compression pistion and full exhaust ?

IcutMetl
01-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Hard to say, but I bet it would be a fair race if your 400ex has a bit of mild work done to it. The thing with the 250R is that even if you keep your budget realistic, you can build a pretty killer machine. Sink a few hundred bucks into a piston kit, light bore/port job, a used pipe, upgraded carb, mild compression bump and it tuns from mild into WILD and still have a very very reliable machine. There aren't many times mine doesn't start on the first or second kick, and you could literally let it sit for 10minutes or more w/o fouling a plug. If you have a bit more cabbage, you can easily turn WILD into CRAZY. These machines can be made to be demons in the woods, or super light mx/dune machines with only a slight attitude adjustment- very versatile. If you only paid $950 for your 400ex and it's a fair trade, trade away my friend. If you wanted, you could easily part that R out for more than that; people pay killer coin for discontinued stock parts. These things are like the 67-69 Camaros of the ATV world. Keep in mind though that it IS an o-l-d machine, and pay attention to common wear areas; pivot points, bearings, odd noises, frame stresses/cracks/bends, etc. If you have one in fair shape, it may not require much upkeep and maintenance....or, it could easily turn into a money pit just like anything else. I really enjoyed my 400ex, and I never tore into the motor any more than the basic pipe,filter,timing key type mods. I find that for me, my 250r is everything my 400 was, minus some pounds, and with the volume dial craked UP! Good luck!