PDA

View Full Version : stock motor how many hours??

MX450
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM
About how many hours do these motors hold up stock?

Motor is completely stock except for pipe, airbox lid off, uni filter and jetted.

Oil changed every 2-3 rides, air filter cleaned every ride, riding mx.....

Ichoptop
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I bought my 05 still in the crate in mid 06. I dont ride as often as I use to but I can say that she has at least 600 hours on it. Mostly hard trail riding in the Rocky Mountains. I've been through more tires and clutches but the motor itself is holding up really well. I also change the oil after 8-10 hours of hard riding and change the trans every second oil change. I also have adjusted the valves twice.

BlaineKaiser450
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I had 250 hours on my stock motor, well it had an exhaust, before I rebuilt it. And it was running fine

Sjorge450R
01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
all stock minus cam, pipe and filter. I have about 200 hours on mine. its an 05

01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Completely stock 05, currently has 40 hours on it on original motor. I've put maybe 15 hours on it since I've owned it. Still runs strong lol

Butter
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
My brother ran his Quad Wars bike for 3 full years, and that's shows in the winter and summer, and riding pits and such when we're not racing. Had the HRC kit in it, thats it! He was very good on changing oils, air filter, and all that, and it didn't smoke, use oil, anything before he put a new piston in it. Now that bike has another 2 years with my buddy racing it, and it smokes a bit on start up, but clears right up when warm. Not saying anyone should try getting this amount of time out of these, but take care of the bike, and it will take care of you.

rollie
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
i raced and practiced a full season on mine stock 2 years ago, didn't do a single thing during the winter except jet/pipe/filter the next year and raced 2 classes/ practices, took it apart last winter and everything was in perfect shape and they valves where barely out of adjustment. now that its built i rebuild it every winter.

I changed my oil after every weekend of racing, and change the filter after every moto/practice. i personally think thats key.

veenser2000
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
i agree rollie i had an 04 prolly put roughly 130-150 hours on it and then installed a hotcam and piston after that. Who knows how many hours were on it before that it looked rough...Never had to touch the valves until the cam. No major problems. I now have an 07 with quite a few mods and ran it for 2 years (probably only 50 hours though) but it is now getting a rebuild but still no problems yet. I have several spare air filters (one for each moto/practice) and change my oil roughly every 2-2.5 hours for motor and 3.5-4 hours for tranny. Keeping the motor clean inside is the KEY!!

01-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by veenser2000
change my oil roughly every 2-2.5 hours for motor and 3.5-4 hours for tranny. Keeping the motor clean inside is the KEY!!

I would be taking a break to change the oil during a riding session lol. Thats way overkill unless your using like fishoil lol

veenser2000
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I would be taking a break to change the oil during a riding session lol. Thats way overkill unless your using like fishoil lol

well when your motos are 10-15 mins... then thats two motos per day plus a 15 min practice per day.... X 2 for many weekends. SO say 1.5h then change or wait for another race day/weekend ....2-2.5h then i change the oil. When your motor is screaming at 10000 rpm for the majority of the motos personally i think its a good idea to check/change your oil/oil filter... especially when you have put so much $$$$ into your motor. A little maintenance goes a long way. Rollie feels the same way....

BlaineKaiser450
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah exactly. 2 hours is a long time on an mx track, and Its hard on the motor for sure