PDA

View Full Version : 04 z400 wont run

broke86
01-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I got a 2004 z400 from my friend that had been sitting for a few years. it would not start when i got it, so I changed the gas and it started right up, but it would not run past quarter throttle, it would pop and break up. so I took the carburator apart and cleaned it, but the problem still continued. does anyone know what this could be caused by?

cataway
01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
are you sure you got the carb clean ? did you stick fishing line in to all the holes to make sure there clear ?

most likely the problem is in the pilot circuit.

lid on or lid off the air box?

suzukiboy
01-09-2010, 12:36 AM
check the fuse under the seat and wiggle it while the quad is runnin..might help, I am havin problem right now with my 04

broke86
02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I tried cleaning and rebuilding the carb already. everything seems to be pretty good. The problem seems to be that it is not getting gas into the actual cylinder. there is gas in the bowl but if you pull the plug it is dry??

jonboy
02-04-2010, 08:25 AM
If You are positive that the carb is clean and you are getting flow to the bowl then you may need to adjust the valves. This may be the reason it has been sitting. Also, first, check the vent hose on the gas cap and the cap, make sure all is clear. The carb is vacuum fed so if it is plugged it wont let the fuel flow properly. I have had that problem before. Use compressed air!! I had a spider nest in mine. Mmm spider silk.

broke86
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
thanks i appreciate the response. I replaced all the jets and stuff in the carb, the only thing that I did not do is get to the one that like sticks up through the bottom of the carb. it has the cap thing over it and I can not figure out how to get it out (the plug)

miles Machine
02-06-2010, 02:02 AM
could also be timing too check to see if you timing is right

broke86
03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
is there a diy or a guide on how to check or adjust the valves, I unfortunately do not have a service manual. Thanks

350ex
03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
This goes over checking timing and valve clearance.

http://suzuki.theatvchannel.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=71200

I think you just drill through the plug, but look in some threads about jetting. It will tell you how to get it out. I use a different carb.