PDA

View Full Version : mounting tires on dual beadlock hipers

Sweendogie
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
i can get one side on but i cant get the other side inside the rim is there any special way to do this? do i have to take apart the rim?

Scro
01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
You do have the rings off, don't you?

Sweendogie
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
ya rings are off and tires are brand new

400exrider707
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Post a pic, dual beads are pretty self explanatory.

CannondaleRider
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
What you're doing, is putting the inner part of the wheel, sans rings, inside the tire. Then bolting the rings to the wheel, clamping the beads of the tire on both sides.

Like said, pretty self explanatory.

Sweendogie
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
ya i know exactly what i need to do i just cant get the wheel completely inside the tire i can only get one half and when the first half is on i cant bring the other bead of the tire up enough to get it over the other side of the wheel

Ichoptop
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
use dish soap as a lubricant so the bead doesnt get hung up and a set of plastic tire spoons so you sont scratch the wheels. Lock one side with a tire spoon then slowly work the other side around.

Scro
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
What are the width dimensions of the wheel and tire?

400exrider707
01-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
use dish soap as a lubricant so the bead doesnt get hung up and a set of plastic tire spoons so you sont scratch the wheels. Lock one side with a tire spoon then slowly work the other side around.

If this was a typical non bead wheel I'd agree, have you ever tried the dual bead hipers? I can put the tire on the wheel with one hand and still hold the beer with my other. Something doesn't sound right here...

Sweendogie
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
ive never mounted tires to the hipers before i just got my new set of tires in... getting the first half of the wheel on was cake but the other half is being a pain in the ***.... the tires were tied up so they are a bit smashed so i cant get the bead through the other side of the tire and ive searched but cant find out why im having a problem and everyone else can put the tires on the rims with ease... heres a picture of what im talking about

Sweendogie
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/sweendogie/0105000033.jpg

suck my pipe
01-04-2010, 11:26 PM
you need to go ahead and put the ring on one side to hold it in place. Then get a tire spoon "big flat head screw driver" whatever you have handy and pry it over the lip soapy water will help.

http://www.hiperracingwheels.com/HiPer%20Wheel%20Instructions.pdf

CannondaleRider
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
If this was a typical non bead wheel I'd agree, have you ever tried the dual bead hipers? I can put the tire on the wheel with one hand and still hold the beer with my other. Something doesn't sound right here...

That depends a lot on the tires, actually.

I mount Maxxis all the time, and they're usually a "beer in hand" job. But, on the other end of the spectrum, I've mounted and dismounted ITP's.. that left me walking away from them to get a beer. Ha. Still able to get it done, but was just an absolute pain.

400exrider707
01-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
That depends a lot on the tires, actually.

I mount Maxxis all the time, and they're usually a "beer in hand" job. But, on the other end of the spectrum, I've mounted and dismounted ITP's.. that left me walking away from them to get a beer. Ha. Still able to get it done, but was just an absolute pain.

Actually the worst one's I've ever done were 18" titan turf tamers. I could never get them to fully seat on the bead, the beadlocks were impossible. The tire was actually too small for the rim. I ended up giving them away to a young kid who I was helping with getting into racing. He was on a Polaris 90. I had to put a RIDICULOUS amount of air in the tires so they would seat on the bead of his stock wheels. I had the core out of the valve stem and an open air hose going on. When it finally popped on the tire, I thought the tire exploded in my face. It sounded like a gunshot. I never managed to get them mounted right on beads. The ring would actually just fold out and bend and not force the tire on the wheel. ITP, Maxxis, and Kenda have all been non issue from what I remember. I primarily used Kenda and ITP though.

deathman53
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
strange, I mounted many turf tamers on hipers, very easy and also on single side beadlocks. I find that dual beadlocks are very easy to mount tires on, 2 tire irons or large screwdrivers, it takes more effort to tighten the ~20 beadlock bolts. I've done many tires, the worst tires were razzr 2 on non-beadlocks(unreasonably difficult) and paddle tires(those wouldn't pop on the bead at all, I had to put 3 tie-downs to keep the tires from ballooning out).

Sweendogie
01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
you need to go ahead and put the ring on one side to hold it in place. Then get a tire spoon "big flat head screw driver" whatever you have handy and pry it over the lip soapy water will help.

http://www.hiperracingwheels.com/HiPer%20Wheel%20Instructions.pdf

thanks that worked! i must have skipped over that when i was reading the instructions helped a lot!

400exrider707
01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
strange, I mounted many turf tamers on hipers, very easy and also on single side beadlocks. I find that dual beadlocks are very easy to mount tires on, 2 tire irons or large screwdrivers, it takes more effort to tighten the ~20 beadlock bolts. I've done many tires, the worst tires were razzr 2 on non-beadlocks(unreasonably difficult) and paddle tires(those wouldn't pop on the bead at all, I had to put 3 tie-downs to keep the tires from ballooning out).

There have been two versions of the tamers too. Titan made them at one point and I believe Carlisle maybe? I know two companies were making them.

Mine were the 18x9.5x8 too, if it matters. It was a set of burgard beads. Never had issues mounting my kenda knarlys up either.