PDA

View Full Version : Good Trade???

honda01400ex
01-03-2010, 11:35 PM
looking at trading my 400ex for a fully custom built 250r that doesnt have any thing stock

these are some of the 250r upgrades

custom frame
houser swinger
houser a-arms
elka shocks
300 bore kit
nerfs
renthal bars
kill switch
nacs graphics
douglas rims
new kenda claw tires
nerf bars
ehs lid
k&n with cover
lrd full pipe
1 hour totsl on motor

nacs racing everything its nice but wanted to see what yall think

01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
i traded my 400ex for one just like that but black and green built about the same and regreeted it for so long i wouldnt do it in my opinion

bkelley
01-04-2010, 02:43 AM
It depends. The 250r is an awesome dune runner or MX quad, but the 400EX will handle anything you throw at it. The EX will also require A LOT less maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 250r myself, but I wouldn't trade my EX for anything.

honda01400ex
01-04-2010, 05:55 AM
well ya both good points its just i love riding mx but i dont have a job and my mom isnt gonna help with it anymore...and my 400 need work

new rims and tires
swinger skid plate
suspension cuz it sucks so bad

and the 250r is from the ground up custom and ready to ride mx with the best of parts and i wouldnt be able to make a decent mx bike due to money issue

bigbad400
01-04-2010, 06:53 AM
dude you already have the better machine, that 250r will blow up in no time. i mean there a beast but for a kid to jump on and ride, any day, any time with next to no money you should keep the ex. that 250 will need quality 2 stroke oil 12$ a quart and premium gas and wont last near as long. the ex you can prolly jump on and start it without thinking and ride all day long on 5$ in gas. shocks and **** aint that expensive, ill sell you some used elkas for 275. great shocks and nice shape. ill throw in a stock swinger skid for free and i have front stock rims for another 30 with decent stock tread on them even. hell ill even make it 25 give me 300 for all of it. now your back into it. find some rears and got a quality machine. the first time you over rev that thing its gonna toast it. do yourself with no money a favor and go for reliability. keep the 400ex

honda01400ex
01-04-2010, 07:56 AM
well see one of the main problems is when i wrecked the skid plate ripped the mount wholes off the swinger

honda01400ex
01-04-2010, 09:25 AM
and my friend races a cr125r and cr250r and his sponcer gives him free premix so i can get amsoil premix free

so what im looking at is that i need

luck nut
skid plate
rims tires
shocks

and donthave the money to get the parts i need unless i can find a friend that will spot me some... so i was looking at a yfz450, a trx250r, or a raptor 660 that i could trade for and all those bikes dont need anything!!:D so right now the choices are get a diffrent bike or leave mine in the shed till next year when i can start working

BuB400
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I would trade and then sell the R outright, take that money and buy a nicer 400. The 250 is worth a little more than your 400.

UNBROKEN
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
the yfz will cost more than the 250r no dought the raptor handles like ****tt stock and they have trans problems , i love 250r's but if u are on a tight budget the 400 would be worth keepin , but buy lookin at the pics id say go with the 250r, and 250rs arernt that bad on cost of parts compared to a 450r , changed the piston every 50 hrs for peace of mind run atleast 32;1 of a high quality synthetic and keep a clean and oiled airfilter plus dont forget to let the motor warm up befor u rev it changed the case oil every 10hrs with rotella and theres great bikes

honda01400ex
01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
ya i think im gonna keep the 400 and buy new rims and tires and get some cheap used elka shock like the recreational type or some piggy backs. it gonna be a while till i get some money but o well:blah:

01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
What's wrong with you people? Maybe im just a 2-stroke guy but I would trade for that in a HEARTBEAT.

The 400ex chassis was based off the 250r... and the 250r is still one of the best handling bikes ever made. Along with the aftermarket suspension that thing will handle like a dream. Not to mention, it will be a lot faster then that 400ex.

250R's are really not ALL that much maintaince. Actually, there's less then the 400ex, and the R motors are rock solid. There's no valves to adjust or anything. Just simply clean the filter and change the gear oil once in a blue moon and run quality oil, and they'll be pretty damn reliable.

When time does come for a rebuild.. they're so simple to do it's rediculous. And pretty cheap.

If I were you I would trade... I liked my 400ex but would've traded it for a 250r in a heartbeat. Your choice bro, but I think you would be much happier with the R.

They're really not hard to trail ride either. They have a meaty mid-range. I trail ride a top-end banshee... the R would be cake.

honda01400ex
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
ya i agree with you im gonna try to get it from him but then again if i cant get the R then i can wait till im out of high school to get one and keep the 400 to or i can get two R's and have them all to my self :devil: :devil:

01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by honda01400ex
ya i agree with you im gonna try to get it from him but then again if i cant get the R then i can wait till im out of high school to get one and keep the 400 to or i can get two R's and have them all to my self :devil: :devil:

nooooooooooooooo keep it 400 is way more reliable and a all around better trail bike

01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 89isuzu
nooooooooooooooo keep it 400 is way more reliable and a all around better trail bike

Yeah the 400ex is a little more reliable, but not THAT much more. There's a lot less to go wrong on a 2-stroke. No cam, cam chain, cam chain tensioners, valves, none of it. Just a piston in a cylinder. lol. When they're maintained they're reliable quads.

And the 400ex has better bottom end for trail riding.. but the R still wouldn't be that bad and you have the 2-stroke hit for the open areas.

Do I miss my 400ex? Yeah, a lot. Would I give up my banshee or a 250R for one? HELL NO. haha;)

honda01400ex
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
haha ya i found an almost new shee i was looking at buyin

bigbad400
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
there is nothing cheap about rebuilding a 250r they have a nickle sleeve on the cylinder and you have to have them replated you cant just bore it and throw in a piston. and the piston kits for them are the same price as a ex, youll get double if not more hours out of a ex rebuild. no matter how you look at it unless you need a straight up race machine that will be rebuilt all the time anyhow you dont want a 250r.

flyboy1294
01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do these people want to trade a 'tricked' 250r, Yfz450, Raptor 660 or any other of the quads you mentioned for a 400ex that needs work? :confused:

Maybe the other quads aren't as nice as they seem?

01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
That's a really nice banshee!!

And im pretty sure the 250r is a steel sleeve that's able to be bored. It was mainly Kawasaki that used nikasil cylinders.

Where do you people get "rebuilt all the time" from. You hear too many stories. They actually last quite a long time. Hell even the banshee's which are definitely steel sleeves last a decently long time. You can get a good 2-3 seasons out of a rebuild if you aren't a hardcore rider and just recreational.

And flyboy, I always ask that same question when someone wants to trade me something thats nicer. For all we know their could be something wrong with that R. But if he goes and checks it out in person, and everythings ok, then what the hell. Some people are just stupid.

flyboy1294
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

And flyboy, I always ask that same question when someone wants to trade me something thats nicer. For all we know their could be something wrong with that R. But if he goes and checks it out in person, and everythings ok, then what the hell. Some people are just stupid.

Yeah, I'm more than a little gun-shy on deals that look too good to be true... Last year I went to Georgia (6 hours from where I live) to see a trade that looked flawless. When I got there it needed rings and a starter, the airfilter was caked with mud, probably a result be being submerged, and the axle was bent so bad it felt like riding a horse on packed dirt. He told me about none of this in advance. Gotta watch those 'deals' :eek:

atv fan 28
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
there is nothing cheap about rebuilding a 250r they have a nickle sleeve on the cylinder and you have to have them replated you cant just bore it and throw in a piston. and the piston kits for them are the same price as a ex, youll get double if not more hours out of a ex rebuild. no matter how you look at it unless you need a straight up race machine that will be rebuilt all the time anyhow you dont want a 250r. LOL! shows how much you know about 250Rs! the cylinders are not plated. you can bore a stock cylinder 14 times. that is if you do it in .25 increments. you can buy aftermarket cylinders that are plated. or you can even have your stock one nik plated. do some research before you start posting stuff that is not true. btw i traded my 400ex for a 250R and have never regretted it since!!!

TRX01
01-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I WOULDNT use a shee for racing....yea it would be ok...but not as good as an R or 400ex, or any 450

01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by TRX01
I WOULDNT use a shee for racing....yea it would be ok...but not as good as an R or 400ex, or any 450

I second that. That exact reason is why I now have extended a-arms and triple rate shocks. lol. She's a beast now.

TRX01
01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
a shee is better in a place were u can open it up!...yea it would do ok for trails or races, but they are best in dunes or open triald where u can open up the throttle a litttle more

honda01400ex
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
no the R is straight up brand new i know the guy and he built the baby from ground up and he has a shop and has a ton of quads so he would lose anything :)

01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
no the R is straight up brand new i know the guy and he built the baby from ground up and he has a shop and has a ton of quads so he would lose anything :)

Well then go for it bro:)

honda01400ex
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
im trying hes not answering the phone :grr: :grr: :grr:

flyboy1294
01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
im trying hes not answering the phone :grr: :grr: :grr:

:eek:

eprovenzano
01-06-2010, 07:17 AM
I understand that most on here do not know that much about 2 stroke engines. I understand that most have grown up riding 4 strokes. I started riding in the early 70's (yes, I'm old) I grew up with 2 strokes. I still ride a 2 stroke KTM 300.

I'd like to clear up the maintenance issues on a two stroke. Yes if the bike is being raced, and I mean raced hard, the rings should be replaced after 50 hours, and the piston after 150 hours. This is of course if the air filter is religiously clean, Dirt will kill any engine, but smokers maybe a little more.

Costs of a top end rebuild... I'm in the process of rebuilding my son's 400ex. Please add to the cost of the piston, rings and gaskets, a timing chain, timing sprockets, pulling the engine apart to replace the timing gears, plus the cost of having the valves cleaned up. On a smoker the only cost is piston, rings, needle bearing, and 1 hour of time.

Don't get me started on the argument that "I don't want to mix gas and oil." If you're that damn lazy you shouldn't be riding a bike. Go back in the house and watch some more TV....

The EX (XR) engines are rock solid, little maintenance is required, regular oil changes valve adjustment etc. But, smokers are even easier to maintain. Not to mention if the 250R were pre exhaust valve, (I don’t know for sure) it doesn't get easier that that.

F-16Guy
01-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I totally agree. And no, stock 250Rs don't have power valves, so there are no moving parts to clean or replace when doing a top end. Pre-mixing oil is totally simple. I've always run 32:1 regardless of the type or brand of 2-stroke oil, and I've never had a bike seize up on me. All you have to remember is 4 ounces of oil per gallon of fuel. The "R" is a great quad, but you do have to ride it like a 2-stroke, and you do have to be able to do simple math. If you want to putt around all day, go with the 400ex.

honda01400ex
01-06-2010, 12:24 PM
ya i know all about the premix stuff i use to race a cr125 and cr250 so i know what mixes to use and all that i have always used yamalube and honda hp2 gold spectrum oil with 93 oump gas.. and i know how to ride a two stroke you got wring its neck and stay on the power band.

UNBROKEN
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
ya i know all about the premix stuff i use to race a cr125 and cr250 so i know what mixes to use and all that i have always used yamalube and honda hp2 gold spectrum oil with 93 oump gas.. and i know how to ride a two stroke you got wring its neck and stay on the power band.

since theres no powervalve on the 250r id run castor 927 or klotz benoil both of theres premix have superoir film strenth and do a better job at protecting the motors under high rpm and high heat

honda01400ex
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
ya i forgot to sat castor 927 thats all i ran in my 250

yama450yfz
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Go for the yfz they are the best all around bike you can find the acceleration is amazing and the stock suspension and frame offer the best handling on a stock bike ever.

Pipeless416
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
if you trade for the 250r does that mean your signature will get longer?:eek2: :eek2:

honda01400ex
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
haha very funny i decided to keep my 400 lol

and im sorry my sig is to long for you!!

mineralgrey01gt
04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
dude you already have the better machine, that 250r will blow up in no time. i mean there a beast but for a kid to jump on and ride, any day, any time with next to no money you should keep the ex. that 250 will need quality 2 stroke oil 12$ a quart and premium gas and wont last near as long. the ex you can prolly jump on and start it without thinking and ride all day long on 5$ in gas. shocks and **** aint that expensive, ill sell you some used elkas for 275. great shocks and nice shape. ill throw in a stock swinger skid for free and i have front stock rims for another 30 with decent stock tread on them even. hell ill even make it 25 give me 300 for all of it. now your back into it. find some rears and got a quality machine. the first time you over rev that thing its gonna toast it. do yourself with no money a favor and go for reliability. keep the 400ex

and you never owned a 250r I bet. My 250r had a 22 year old STOCK piston in it when I built it. Over rev it and toast it? Its a 2 stroke THEY ARE BUILT TO BE RIDDEN HARD, I used ot rev the piss out of mine and it would take anything I threw at it and more. My brothers is the same way plus the power is no comparison. I rode my 250r ALL DAY on a single 3 gallons of gas, and I was never easy on that quad. They dont drink gas like you think they do. If you would have actually owned one (which im assuming you never have or you owned a complete piece) then you wouldnt talk about them like you do.

Only reason for the rebuild on mine was to go with a bigger bore. Ran great, couldnt complain one bit about it. Id do the trade in a heart beat. The 250r outhandles 400ex's by a long shot. I regret parting mine out.

honda01400ex
04-06-2010, 05:29 PM
mineralgrey01gt
thnks you i agree

mineralgrey01gt
04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
lol thanks, i hate when people doubt those quads because I guarantee that my bro's will run with a national 450 (he has a 330 big bore with port work, 38mm airstryker carb, rad valve, etc) and its been on the same piston for 40+ hours. They are just little beast and if you can tame them then they run very well

2006 400ex slsd
04-08-2010, 02:14 AM
nooo!!!!! dont!!!!:eek2: