PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Maintaince Tips

eprovenzano
01-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I've decided its time to do some long over due maintenance on my son's 99 400ex. The bike smokes like a two stroke, so I'm in the middle of a top end rebuild. The valves seals have definitely been leaking, so the head will be given to a local shop for repair. I'm going to keep everything basically stock, and will go with a 10:1 compression piston.

While the quad is down, I've replaced and packed with grease the front wheel bearings, repacked the lonstar carrier bearing. The HMF exhaust is getting polished and the exhaust header will get a fresh coat of paint. The chain and sprockets are a year old

Is there any other maintenance items I should be looking into? I'm running out of things to do, and there is a lot of winter left...

fishnfergie
01-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Swing arm pivot bearings/bolt. Do a search and you will see why.

jdog75
01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
timing chain and clutch basket

atv fan 28
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
clean or replace air filter,cables, etc.

tri5ron
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by eprovenzano
Is there any other maintenance items I should be looking into? I'm running out of things to do, and there is a lot of winter left... Will you please adopt me, and be my dad too ???:D

But seriously, Adding a cam to your 10:1 wont hurt your reliability at all, and will work in conjunction with the gains the piston provides,and should really help to wake it up.

add a 450r carb, and a Sparks key to those, and your still in the **Very Mild** mods build,
reliability is still uncompromised,
and your son will say your "SuperDad"!

eprovenzano
01-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by fishnfergie
Swing arm pivot bearings/bolt. Do a search and you will see why.

I thought about it, but seeing after 10 years it still had the OEM piston, and prior to us the bike saw little maintenance, I know the swing arm would be a major pain in the arse.....

Although it’s on my list...

rodeo#11
01-04-2010, 08:12 AM
trust me on this one! grease that swing arm bolt like once a month! cause if you have to get a new one its a pain in the arse removing that thing...not to mention allot of money involved after 10 years of it not being greased it might already be late.. just hope for the best!

rocky_mtn_honda
01-04-2010, 05:22 PM
just thought id say theres really no need to send that head off for just the seals to be replaced...all you have to do is go down to autozone, advanced auto parts or wherever is near you that has the loaner-tool program...borrow the c-clamp style valve spring compressor, pop the valves out and the seals just pull off and new ones pop on. unless your planning on having the valves lapped, or any other machine work done to the head, save yourself some cash. just dont lost those tiny little "keepers" for the valves. im sure that carb could use a good soaking and cleaning, clean the fuel tank and petcock, brakes, check those clutch plates for wear, inspect the cam chain closely and make sure your tensioner is functional...just a few things id do off the top of my head.