PDA

View Full Version : Sparks ignition key

Martin Blair
01-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi, what all is involved in installing it? i know you have to pull the flywheel, but is it behind a cover? I dont have a manual yet, its still on order from honda. thanks.

NTPRacing#19
01-20-2003, 06:09 PM
you do know the advance timing will make your quad run hotter right? just lettin ya know man

hawiianpwr
01-20-2003, 06:18 PM
yeah i got the same key in my 400ex. I've had it in all summer and it does run hotter. But I'm in the process of taking it out. Didnt really do much I think it would be better if the timing wasnt so high at 6 degrees. Personally I wouldnt put it in. I went ahead and got the msd ignition so I can put the timing whatever I want.

Martin Blair
01-20-2003, 06:23 PM
yeah me and my dd work on cars i know advancing the timing is like uping the compresion a bit. I didnt know msd made a igniton for quads i might look inot that.

DESDAK4
01-20-2003, 06:29 PM
I run it and have not had a problem with it. But I probably wouldn't waste the time if I had it to do over.

hawiianpwr, if you don't mind me asking. Where did you get the MSD and how much did it set you back?

Thanks,

Jay
USAF

Martin Blair
01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
ok i wont bother with it. I looked on MSDs site and didnt find anything, where did you get it? thanks.

GNCC#829
01-20-2003, 06:55 PM
I had it and I loved it. It made it rev alot quicker, and it seemed like it added a little bottom end. I ran a little cooler plug for the heat. But I had to take it out when I got my 416.

Martin Blair
01-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Well how do you put it in there? do you just remove a cover? thanks

GNCC#829
01-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Remove the cover and use the puller they gave you with the key. You will need an impact gun to remove and re-install the flywheel. Replace the 2 cover gaskets when you put it back together.

nastynotchback1
01-20-2003, 08:53 PM
i just ordered one of those keys last night.didnt know it would run hotter.will vp 110 and a heat range colder plug help keep it cooler

hawiianpwr
01-20-2003, 09:01 PM
I think the only place you can get it is from factory direct performance. Just go to the MSD website. There is nothing on the ignition on there website so you have to call them up.

Pretty sweet system though comes with everything you need. I'll take some pics and show you guys. You can do just about anything with it. You can adjust the rev limiter to what ever you want all the way to 10,250rpms. I had to open my plug another .010 because it puts out twice as much spark as the old ignition. You can adjust the timing from 0 to 7 degrees. High speed retard. Its even got a hole shot rev limiter for drag racing! My quad runs better and sounds better since I put it on. The only thing I need to do is take out the timing key so that I can take full advantage of the MSD. MSD's timing curve is alot better than the stock curve. As for price it was around $430 for everything. I'm surprised more people dont have it especially the ones with hopped up motors. They could really benefite from it.

DESDAK4
01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Great some pics would be awsome.

Jay
USAF

Sparks425Ex
01-21-2003, 05:41 AM
I just recently installed mine and It was a breeze after I figured out where it went.

While sitting on the Quad. You have to take your left case off.

Once that is off, You will see the Fly wheel.(Big Circle, High on Outside and Drops in middle)

Take the bolt out of the middle of that. Put the Fly Wheel Puller into that hole the bolt just came out of. Get a torque wrench. Put it on that screw and tighten it down until the flywheel pops off.

Then you will see a tappered rod protruding from under teh fly wheel. There will be a small 1/4 of a circle in that rod.(Timing Key)

Take that out and put the new one in. reinstall the flywheel and the first bolt you took off. Be sure to tighten down the bolt really tight.

Put the case back on(Get a new Gasket) and tighing those bolts down.

Go Riding.

TORO1968
01-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Does the MSD box for the 400ex require a separate battery to power it like on the Banshee and 250r kits? I'm assuming it doesn't because of the 400 already has one. I'd like to find out more about this ignition, so if you have any info, pass it along...I'm sure others would like to know more about it as well.

Thanks,

Jordan

hawiianpwr
01-21-2003, 05:26 PM
No you dont need an extra battery you just use the one you have. Very great system. I think I hit just about everything about the ignition in the earlier post except I forgot that it gives multiple sparks up to 3000rpm other than that I think thats it. I wont be able to post any pics until next week. ( I let my girlfriend barrow it while she went on vacation)

Braff1
01-22-2003, 07:25 AM
I ran across this adjustable timing set for a xr 400 that is under development at www.factorypro.com . I am waiting to hear from them to see what they say the cost is going to be. they say you can adjust the timing from -2 to +6.