PDA

View Full Version : exhaust header nut torque??

ben_400ex
01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi guys,
Im just in the process of fitting up my new sparks exhaust, i sat the header on there and started to do the nuts up on the studs then went to my clymer manual to check how tight i need to torque em up to. however i can find the torque spec for every nut and bolt but these ones does anybody know how tight these should be??

rocky_mtn_honda
01-02-2010, 10:37 PM
the specs are 20 ft lbs on the exhaust joint nuts, although the sparks webpage says 17 ft lbs for their headpipe so...
http://www.sparksracing.com/page.asp/csasp/DepartmentID.173/cs/SectionID.933/cs/PageID.5396/csasp.html

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/rocky_mtn_honda/TRX400EX%20Manual%20Pages/400exexhaustspecs.jpg

ben_400ex
01-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks rocky_mtn_honda thats exactly what i was wanting to know.
I fitted the exhaust and tightened them to 17ft/lb however the little flanges that the nuts tighten onto and hold the header in have bent a bit almost like they are too tight, has anyone else that has fitted a sparks exhaust or anything similar had the same thing?
i did notice these flanges are made from much thinners steel than the stock exhaust.

bigbad400
01-03-2010, 07:51 AM
you will have a hell of a time removing that now that its bent. mine on my fmf powerbomb did that too and i had to take out 2 of the studs to get it off.
good luck.

fauxamish
01-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I had the same thing happen to me when I put my full Yoshimura system on. I thought 20 ft. lbs. was excessive, but I did it. It ended up bending the flanges and some of the studs. Absolutely ridiculous to get off. Now I just tighten them up evenly until quite snug and the pipe isn't being pulled in any more.

A word of wisdom to anyone installing exhaust studs or the nuts. USE LOCKTITE!!!! I did not when I replaced them and had 3 fall out in a race on the 2nd to last lap. Finished 5th (out of 15 450's) but might have been able to get 4th and some money!