PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust systems: defined?

flyboy1294
01-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a little bit of an off the wall topic,

How much does a header effect the performance of a quad? I know that exhaust systems have better flow and that helps "open up" the quad, especially when the engine has been modified significantly.

The reason I ask is because I took the header and slip on off of my 400 to clean up, and I noticed that my header was the same dimensions as the stock one. I am curious if 1.) Other headers are much larger than the stock one, and 2.) if they are, will this size make a difference in performance?

I appreciate all the help. :D

rob_990
01-02-2010, 11:43 PM
it makes a difference on size and shape but not nearly as much as it does on 2strokes

flyboy1294
01-03-2010, 08:55 AM
So you're saying that there would be a slight performance increase?

Does anyone know how much bigger an aftermarket header is vs the stock header? I have Curtis Sparks and White Brothers full systems before, and neither really stand out as huge in my mind...

bigbad400
01-03-2010, 08:59 AM
MY POWERBOMB IS ALMOST A FULL 1/8TH INCH BIGGER ALL THE WAY DOWN. BUT IT HAS STEPDOWNS FOR THE MOTOR AND FOR THE CAN. SO IT PROLLY DONT MAKE MUCH DIF. THAT IT IS BIGGER.

flyboy1294
01-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by bigbad400
MY POWERBOMB IS ALMOST A FULL 1/8TH INCH BIGGER ALL THE WAY DOWN. BUT IT HAS STEPDOWNS FOR THE MOTOR AND FOR THE CAN. SO IT PROLLY DONT MAKE MUCH DIF. THAT IT IS BIGGER.

I see, do you mean 1/8th of an inch bigger in diameter or circumference?

Someone I know got a power bomb for his Raptor 250, and asked me to help put it on a week or two ago. The header was WAY bigger than my 400ex's header, haha.