PDA

View Full Version : 300ex restore!!

Trxman300
01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
hey guys,

well my 300ex is getting to its point where something will break every ride. like it will be the bearings, bushings, squiky (cant spell) shocks, SPROCKETS, chains..... i cant really think.

well anyways, i was thinking about taking my 300ex apart (when garage is finished) so i can go through everything and fix, repair, clean anything that needs it.

does this sound like a good idea? im no gearhead so i was thinking of it as a nice learning process.i mean is it really worth it to strip it down and do that, would it help with the problems?

im not going to take the motor apart, just take everything off of the frame. i was thinking of getting my frame powdercoated in a really nice candy blue or something. and the swingarm candy red.

so will you give me some info or tips, tricks, or anything?

thanks guys, give me your input....

Trxman300
01-02-2010, 10:03 PM
i want to do the frame in Translucent Blue and the swindarm and A-Arms in Translucent Red......

How does that sound?

trx90luke
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
sick

09exrider09
01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
dude, that sounds pretty sweet... i have a 97 that had all the same problems. My berrings were shot, shocks were terrible, tires were loose.. i mean everything. I tore it apart this fall, as i have a heated garage, and totally rebuilt everything.. while it was apart, i installed a 344cc big bore kit. It took 2 weeks exact. thats with teardown, cleaning, new bore install and rebuild. I think its a great idea. The paint sounds a little iffy. Mines sandblasted, with a power coat of Honda red on frame, bars bumper and swingarm. Then all black plastics with my sponsor stickers.

Trxman300
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
sounds like a nice quad! tomorow i am putting on the folowing....Primary Drive sprockets and chaine, Fly handlebars, Motion Pro twist throttle, Powermadd handguards, TC Custom fabricated headlights (with yellow lenses), new wire for neutral and reverse lights, a-arm bushings... hope it comes out good!

09exrider09
01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Sweet, but are you plannin on rebuilding any berrings or anything?? i would if they're shot..

Trxman300
01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
nope. well as of now their is no shot bearings, everything should work as a should after today's work!

aDviSol2y
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Tear it apart!!!!!!!!! I tear mine apart about every two years! Actually Im in the rebuild process right now. The life of your bike will be much longer if you do regular matainence on it. And I dont just mean changing the oil. I mean tearing it down and making sure everything is working properly. Don't wait till it breaks. It will be much more expensive. Plus you will know your bike inside and out!

Trxman300
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
ya that is true. my dad is always saying you dont do maintnence on it, thats why it breaks, but the only place that i have to do maintnence is laying in mud in the driveway. so we built a garage and need to poor the floor and inselate it. sorry i cant spell. and when that happens i am taking it apart and shipping stuff out to get it powdercoated.

we didnt finish working on it today because we were stuck on the a arms. when we got them apart, we knowticed that the upper a arm and the shock bushings are going.....fml

01-15-2010, 09:45 PM
If you run into needing any factory parts let me know I have 3 2009s taken apart to build race bikes I have all kinds af factory take offs

Trxman300
01-17-2010, 03:22 PM
alright thanks dude, ill keep you in mind.

UPDATE: yesterday me and my dad drilled the holes for the ignition and neutral and reverse lights in the plastics. since the lights dont work we cheaked the wire, it has good flowing current, both of them.... so we were stumped. we removed one of the wires and made a new ground and it worked. the ground in the motor went bad, and i forget what it wrong with the reverse one.

i put the chain and sprockets on. we need to either bend my skidplate a little bit so i get clearence for my bigger Primary Drive sprocket, or i need to put washers between the skidplate and swingarm.

wedidnt even start on the lights yet. they are auxillary (cant spell) lights so they are made to work with any quad. we decided we want to get the male part of the connector from a website and wire it to that so i can switch the lights from stock to the new one if wanted.

i started to unblot the plastic around the gas tank so i can remove it to be able to get at the carburator to hook up my new Motion Pro twist throttle. once that is dont i just need to put on some grip glue, lighten and adjust the handguards and levers and i shouldbe good to go.

One question, how hard is it to get all the way into the motor where the ground is for the neutral light? i dont need them so i dont think i am going to bother.

extremetrucker
01-18-2010, 03:07 AM
your neutral safety switch just screws into the side of the engine on the clutch cover, there should be 2 there, one wire is for neutral, the other one is for reverse, one wire each and they snap on kind of like a miniature spark plug wire with a rubber boot over it, check those wires, i used to knock mine off with sticks and corn stalks and chit all the time.

Trxman300
01-18-2010, 05:43 AM
thats the wire that i was talkingabout earlyer in the post. if i take those nipples (mini spark plugs) will it leak oil or something?

Trxman300
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
well i foundout it wasnt the wire for the (mini sparkplugs). we connected them and put a meter and their is a connetion. we cheaked the bulbs and they are good. we reconected awire and made a ground for a minut and it worked.... its a ground in the motor or something else... we did the a-arm bushings in for the bottom a arm. i knowticed the the shock and upper bushings need to e relaced as well...... wtf

i still need to do the headlights and the twist throttle and them bolt up the plastics and put om my swing arm skid plate.

for the upper anf shock bushings and the clips and seals, it equals out to $82 on www.bikebandit.com

we are going to get the stock connector for the headlights and mount them up to the existing wire. we are going to leave the neutral and reverse lights alone because i dont wanna tear the motor down...

ONE QUESTION!
is their a way to unplug the clutch sensor because it tells it when the nutral light is on so it will let you start it. i now need to hold the cluch in for the started to spin?.?.