View Full Version : Bench Test a Stator?

latheboy
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Is there a way to bench test a stator? I got this stator in a box of extra parts with a quad I just bought. This stator looks like brand new, but I would like to test its so I know if its worth saving. I would think I should be able to test the windings for restistance, but I am not sure how to hook up the meter, or what the normal range of readings should be.

Honda 250r 001
01-04-2010, 09:14 AM
if you run a flywheel over it and it feels like its still magnetized, i would think its good? Does it smell bunt? Ive never seen a stator go bad witout being black or discolored.

86 Quad R
01-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by latheboy
Is there a way to bench test a stator? I got this stator in a box of extra parts with a quad I just bought. This stator looks like brand new, but I would like to test its so I know if its worth saving. I would think I should be able to test the windings for restistance, but I am not sure how to hook up the meter, or what the normal range of readings should be.

got a service manual? it'll have all the guidance you'll need to test everything. :cool:

D Bergstrom
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
got a service manual? it'll have all the guidance you'll need to test everything. :cool:

What 86 said. There are two checks you can do for resistance in the manual. There is actually a sticky on it here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196555

Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
if you run a flywheel over it and it feels like its still magnetized, i would think its good? Does it smell bunt? Ive never seen a stator go bad witout being black or discolored.

Just because it looks good does not mean it is good. A few months ago I took my 250R out to the dunes at it died within half a hour, no spark. Got it home and took the stator out, it looked brand new. Tested it per the manual and it failed one of the tests. Had a spare one, tested it and it passed. Installed it and the quad started right up.

Doug

latheboy
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
thanks guys, I will look iniot it and give her a few tests

speedfreek
01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
My 250R stator looked good, smelled good and tested good but was BAD. I rebuilt the WHOLE engine based on that my mechanic said it was good.

One call to Ricky Stator and they said "yes it can still ohm out good and still be bad". Could have saved me a lot of money if I would have called them first!

machwon
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by speedfreek
My 250R stator looked good, smelled good and tested good but was BAD. I rebuilt the WHOLE engine based on that my mechanic said it was good.

One call to Ricky Stator and they said "yes it can still ohm out good and still be bad". Could have saved me a lot of money if I would have called them first!

I've seen the same thing many times over. They test out as good, but they are bad! I don't even pull out the book and look up the values anymore. If I think it's electrical, I just swap them out with one I know that works. I'm sure Ticky Stator has seen many of these...

01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Did you smell it? If it smells like burnt chicken then it might be bad? I'm just posting here to hear myself type. If it looks silly then it might be bad, too? I really don't know but if a magnet sticks then it should be good?

HOW ****ING ANNOYING IS THAT?!