PDA

View Full Version : rear shock rebuild how or who

250rPRIDE
01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
i am doing a winter resto and i want to get my rear shock rebuilt, now i dont race or jump so stock is pretty good for me. i drag a little and trail ride mostly. and i weigh about 160lbs.. so how hard is it to do myself, or am i better off getting someone to go over it. how much is it and who should i go to. i had a friend tell me his bud that races is in with pro action and he get dirtbike shocks redone for $50. if i can get it done for that i will jump on it. but i am also a diy'er and i like to do things on my own to learn so if you think i should go that route any tips or advise will be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot guys!

01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
C&D Racing is a site sponsor and I know they service shocks. They have their own subforum on the main forum page. I would send them a pm first since they support the site.

250rPRIDE
01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
ok ill check them out. does anyone do this on their own? any tips. are the parts easy and available?? thanks

jcs003
01-03-2010, 11:41 AM
i would say pro-action suspension. they are all over and are fairly priced.

danhung11
01-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I had Laz at GT Thunder do a rear on my 250R and also complete set on 450R. Night and day difference. I have front 450R revalved triple rates gir my new build, but no ride time. I also need to send them back to shorten the shafts. Turnaround times on both companies were top notch, around 10 days total.

If I were you, I wouldn't mess with shocks if you don't know what you are doing. Suspension is probably the most important part of an ATV.

Keep us posted with whatever company you decide to go with and give us a report.

Dan

250rPRIDE
01-03-2010, 04:43 PM
has anyone ever delt with seth at sfracing he pmed me about doing my shocks for a pretty fair price.. let me know and keep the sugestions comen thanks

Honda 250r 001
01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
get the seals and oil from race tech. I do my own shocks, its not hard at all. Ive done about 5 stock rear shocks if you have any questions shoot me a pm.

250rPRIDE
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
thanks a lot 001 thats what i wanted to hear. can you tell me what seals i need and what oil to get. and how much do they cost.. i think i got a buddy with nitrogen, do you know how much to put in them? thanks again

IcutMetl
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Out of the factory service manual on page 12-1; I found a free .pdf copy online if you're interested.

1986= 284-327psi
After 1986= 142-185psi

I have also been interested in rebuilding one on my own, same as yourself.

Honda 250r 001
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
thanks a lot 001 thats what i wanted to hear. can you tell me what seals i need and what oil to get. and how much do they cost.. i think i got a buddy with nitrogen, do you know how much to put in them? thanks again

Honestly, ive had good luck useing just compressed air. I believe they only use nitro because it does not expand and compress with air temp changes.

But if your shock was a little soft, you can use a little thicker oil and it will be just the slightest bit firmer, or you can use the stock weight oil and it will be the same.

As for psi to put in,ive usually just put 200 psi in mine. I dont think it makes much of a difference.

Here is a pic of parts from race tech, you will need the Shock oil and dust seal set, shock oil, shock shaft bushing. And if your bottom out bumper is bad, you need one of them also.

The only tools i needed was a vice and a small pick to get the clips out.

250rPRIDE
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
dammmmmnnnn!!! thats 200 in parts.. y so much???? i got 2 pm's from shops and one guy told me 100 per shock and the other said he would do it for 60 if i got him 3 plus 16 for a bump-stop..
can you still buy the parts from honda or anywhere else? how can they do it for those prices and still be making money on it??
thanks for the info though..

Honda 250r 001
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
i got 50 dollars in parts, or 80 if you need the bottom out bumper when i added?

IcutMetl
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
If you have a welding or medical gas supply store somewhere nearby; that's where I would check. We have this joint nearby that deals in welding, medical supply, and every gas you could imagine...had to rent a tank of nitrogen to re-charge a counterbalance in a CNC milling machine; tank and regulator combo no problem.

250rPRIDE
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
oh sorry honda i guess i should pay more attention when i read i thought i needed every part on that list...duh!!:confused:

so if i get all those parts thats all i will need for a complete rebuild?

ya i can get nitrogen from a buddy no problem, he has his own tank and everything. another reason for the nitro is that it wont hold any water with air you can get water and moisture in the shock itself... so ive been told..