PDA

View Full Version : Which gaskets can be made and which can't?

fauxamish
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I am just wondering which gaskets can be made with something like RTV (or other gasket maker) and which require a gasket. Mainly, I am interested in knowing if the stator cover, center case and clutch cover gaskets could be made with RTV (or whatever).

I am asking because I already have the top end gaskets I need and its ~$45 to buy just the bottom end gaskets or ~$45 for an entire gasket kit or ~$0 since I already have gasket maker.

Thank you.

CJM
01-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Grey RTV is what i would use as its made for aluminum.

If anything I dont see why you couldnt use it, we rebuilt a friends CR250 and used it on the jug and it had no issues. We did go buy the right gasket later but the RTV held up for fine the 6 months it was on there.

I use RTV all the time in mechanic work, so I dont see why it couldnt be used on an ATV. Worst that happens is it fails and you gotta buy the gasket.

brokenmike
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Definitly NOT the center case gasket!!!! The gasket when compressed is a certain thickness and that thickness is needed to space the cases apart for the internal components aka crank, balancer, mainshaft and counter shaft. In other words if you put the cases togeather without gaskets the clearances will be too tight and nothing will move free(crank won't spin) certain bikes u can do this on Because they are designed that way, aka banshees blasters lt 250 and 500 quadzilla and more. If it came from the factory with gaskets use them.

mycat8urskidoo
01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I just did my clutch cover gasket with rtv, so far so good, got about 3 hours of riding on it, no drips

fauxamish
01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Information like what brokenmike said is exactly what I am looking for. I guess the center case gasket was the main one I was concerned about since I don't want to tear the entire motor apart again. I agree with CJM too that if if fails, I can get the gasket. Thank you.