PDA

View Full Version : My 89 XC 250r Winter Build Thread

troybilt
01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought I'd create a thread so you can see how my XC build is coming along this winter. Its been really cold here and perfect time to do a frame up resto build.

First here is a pic of what my bike looked like prior to starting this build. Also note, this bike will be restored such that I could take it back to all original if I wanted to at a later date. It was a very nice low hr 89 that has all of the original parts in excellent shape. I'm not much for leaving anything stock and Dan inspired me to do an XC build for the trails we have here close to ride.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/250r4-wheeler003_comp1.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/250r4-wheeler004.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/250r4-wheeler005.jpg

troybilt
01-02-2010, 09:43 AM
After stripping down and getting a fresh red powder on it the frame really "pops" out now. The paint was prolly a 7 out of 10, so it could use a freshening up anyway.

With Dan's hard work he saw to it that the powder was done right and turned out very nice:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture038.jpg

Also with K10seibel's help I found a guy to recreate my frame decals and they turned out very nice as well:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture054.jpg

troybilt
01-02-2010, 09:46 AM
One thing I did was I didn't really like how the wire harness was from the factory iwith virtually "electric tape" for loom. So I took the harness to work and used Cat industrial wire loom and completely redid my wire harness. Looks great and should offer better protection:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture058.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture059.jpg

troybilt
01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Here is more progress. I purchased brand new from Houser an 89 length factor replacement swinger, +1 forward +1 wide Long travel XC aarms, and +1 steering stem:

I'm still waiting on my shocks, I have the original rear in there but will be either rebuilding this one or buying a new rear shock for it. The fronts will most likely be Fox Floats, I've been running low on funds here due to the holidays, but should get those in the next couple of weeks.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture069.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture074.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture079.jpg

Fear250r
01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Looks real good Troy! Can't wait to see when it's finished.

troybilt
01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
The motor has a fresh 0.010 over bore with stock 89 porting. I also picked up a 35 A/S carb, boyesen Rad valve, and FMF SST pipe. Should be a great little torquey motor. Here shows my new CV4 hoses which look awesome, bit pricey but worth it: NOTE, still waiting on my motor mounts and headstay to get back from the coaters, but slapped the motor in there for balance.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture077.jpg

With the help of croat1, (Joe), I got a brand new IMS 250r bumper that I installed just to see how it is going to look:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/Picture080.jpg

This where it sits today, still have a long way to go to finish and lots of parts to get. But slowly starting to come together.

My overall plan, since I can't find graphics I like to do more of a retro XC bike from the late 80's, with an updated flavor... 89 graphics, with custom number plates. Still deciding on the hood and whether to go with OEM plastic, Maier or Fullbores....

rayman375
01-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Lookin really good, can't wait to see it finished.

1promodfan
01-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Thats really looking good Troy. You're gonna like that Boyesen Rad Valve along with that FMF SST pipe. Thats what I had on mine before I wanted a little more mid/top. And to be honest I kinda miss that setup I had. It had a real good snap to it. And I love that front bumper, I wanted to get it from Joe, I just didn't have the funds at the time.

red88r
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Quad looks real good Troy. Coming along very nicely. I was looking at Houser stuff lately-selling some of their old stuff pretty cheap. How is the fitment on everything? I got a Houser swingarm on my 86 and it seems pretty nice...built heavy. Do you have a color picked out for your fender yet? Just got a set of CV4 hoses for XMAS. Just throwing all my parts in bins till I have enough money to redo my 88. Keep us posted on the progress!

Darthgeese
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
that poor 89r =[ she looked great

troybilt
01-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Darthgeese
that poor 89r =[ she looked great

Thanks.

Don't worry... I have everything to convert back to original someday if I wish... I also have a line on another cherry 89 that my friend wants to sell, so I can take that one and restore it, if I so choose.

I plan to keep the 89 graphics and theme. With white plastic and remakes of the 89 graphics...

danhung11
01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Damm Troy, wish I was there with ya putting it together. :( It looks great, those front shocks on there now look like they handle some nasty terrain. :blah:

By the way, where were you hiding all the goods? I don't remember seeing half those parts. :eek2:

Dan

250rPRIDE
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
OMG that thing was so nice troy i give ya a lot of respect for tearing it down and making it how you want it, its good to see its going to get used, but i would kill to find a mint 89 like yours was!!! why didnt ya just pick up a so so bike for like 1000 since you putting 90% new parts on it, ya wouldnt have had much more work and you could have let that sweet 89 alone? its cool i am just wondering. anyways it is looking good and this will be one hell of a great trail machine when your done. good build!!!

312R1
01-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Very nice bro!!

MossboysRacing
01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I like the build up, looks good. The only thing is that even with a low hour frame, it may crack. I have been racing XC on my R for about 7-8 years, and even with a gusseted frame, i still get a few hair line cracks. depending on how you ride, you might be ok. And having Floats up front will help with wear and tear on the frame. Now i ride hard, and Race in " A " class, but i have found the limitations of the stock frame. I would love to go aftermarket, but $$ and Time always seem to be in the way. Good luck with the build and you will love the handling of that. I have a 88 frame, same a-arms with Axis, Rpm swinger and its awesome. Those 4-poke riders cant believe that an engine/bike older than them can be competitive and faster than them!

:D :D

troybilt
01-03-2010, 07:39 AM
thanks guys! I thought about gusseting the frame but wanted to keep it a close to original as possible for now. I guess if I have problems I'll get a gusset kit and redo again... LOL. been more fun building it so far...

Well I ran into a sna-foo last night was working on my 450, installing a new hood I got from FW carbon, and was using a box cutter to trim some tabs on the plastic when I slipped and almost severed my finger completely... was in the ER most of last evening... so its going to take me awhile to heal before I get back on the project again... hopped up on Lortab right now... cause it hurts like hell.... man I'm an idiot!!!!

86DUNCAN250R
01-03-2010, 07:57 AM
That "R" is comming along nice... you are doing a great job with it! here is a pic of the "R" I got this past august... It was virtually stock but mine is getting totally rebuilt like yours... there is an appreciation for originality out there and its really nice to see people restoring R's to Showroom condition but they are the Gandfather of sport quads that led the way in racing since the 80's and when someone has a sweet race machine thats a horsepower monster, hill climber, flat tracker, sand shredder, mud ripper, MXer, Drag quad, etc.... They dont use a stock machine... and I can appreciate the like of those kinds of builds too... like yours, mine is being built to turn heads and Swollow Banshees whole crapping them out the tail pipe!!! I give you an A+ on your built and I hope you kick some 4 stroke ***** too!!! lol I wonder what a banshee will look like comming out of the Fat Boy 2 silencer on my "R"... LM(__*__)O!!!

trx310R#24
01-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 86DUNCAN250R
That "R" is comming along nice... you are doing a great job with it! here is a pic of the "R" I got this past august... It was virtually stock but mine is getting totally rebuilt like yours... there is an appreciation for originality out there and its really nice to see people restoring R's to Showroom condition but they are the Gandfather of sport quads that led the way in racing since the 80's and when someone has a sweet race machine thats a horsepower monster, hill climber, flat tracker, sand shredder, mud ripper, MXer, Drag quad, etc.... They dont use a stock machine... and I can appreciate the like of those kinds of builds too... like yours, mine is being built to turn heads and Swollow Banshees whole crapping them out the tail pipe!!! I give you an A+ on your built and I hope you kick some 4 stroke ***** too!!! lol I wonder what a banshee will look like comming out of the Fat Boy 2 silencer on my "R"... LM(__*__)O!!!

heres a tip sell them rims they are worth alot of money... they look like they are in great shape? im sure someone would pay $$$$

troybilt
01-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Fear250r
Looks real good Troy! Can't wait to see when it's finished.

Thanks Jesse! I looked over your reply. Maybe I can enter in the calendar contest for 2011... LOL!

red88r
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
thanks guys! I thought about gusseting the frame but wanted to keep it a close to original as possible for now. I guess if I have problems I'll get a gusset kit and redo again... LOL. been more fun building it so far...

Well I ran into a sna-foo last night was working on my 450, installing a new hood I got from FW carbon, and was using a box cutter to trim some tabs on the plastic when I slipped and almost severed my finger completely... was in the ER most of last evening... so its going to take me awhile to heal before I get back on the project again... hopped up on Lortab right now... cause it hurts like hell.... man I'm an idiot!!!!

Hey man, don't feel bad. I did that once trimming a starter cable with a bare razor blade. Needless to say I got a bunch of stitches and cool pain pills. But I had to finish putting the starter back in the semi when I returned the next day. Hope it heals ok...fingers or anything related to ur hand is sometimes hard to heal up...or at least not as quick as you want it to. Take Care.

Fear250r
01-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks Jesse! I looked over your reply. Maybe I can enter in the calendar contest for 2011... LOL!

Definitely! And speaking of calendars, I should have them in tomorrow I believe and I'll be getting them shipped out asap!

D Bergstrom
01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Looks good Troy. Hope your finger heals up fast.

Doug

troybilt
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
some updated pics. Got the Fox Floats installed and the IMS tank. Getting closer:

01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Looks so good.

Allison55ex'er
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I want to get some float's so im lookin forward to see how you like them. It looks awesome

312R1
01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Looks awesome bro!! Except the 450R in the background...lol

dtowndiesel
01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 312R1

^^^X2, you also need a keg stand :) . Is that danhung11's in the background? He needs to catch up:D

danhung11
01-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by dtowndiesel
^^^X2, you also need a keg stand :) . Is that danhung11's in the background? He needs to catch up:D

Yeah... It's killing me! :( I think my pregnant wife would kill me if I said I was staying back in the Little Apple for the weekend to work on the bike. :mad:

Looks awesome T! I take it the hand is fully healed. :blah:

troybilt
01-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
Yeah... It's killing me! :( I think my pregnant wife would kill me if I said I was staying back in the Little Apple for the weekend to work on the bike. :mad:

Looks awesome T! I take it the hand is fully healed. :blah:

The cut has healed but my finger is numb and I can't bend it, said its going to take months for that to come back...

Yes, I've had some time to work on it this weekend, since coming back from UAE. Jet lag is killing me, so I work in the garage, been up most of the night... LOL.

Few things I need to get yet, wheels, tires, skid plate, chain, sprockets, rear shock (not sure what I'm doing with that yet), grab bar, some odds and end stuff like new filter, etc... other than that its getting close.

Oh, and the last thing I want to do is convert to auto-clutch. Been kind of holding off until I get the necessity stuff out of the way.

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 06:36 AM
great build! is there a reason you kept the OE chassis?

troybilt
01-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by 312R1

:D :D 250r's are my favorite, but I'm a lover of all Honda's.... :macho

Woods, I just went with the frame I had, eventually will restore my 89 to original when I pick up a decent aftermarket frame someday. But right now, I wanted to get some use out of it and not leave it as a garage queen quad... it wasn't that perfect of original to begin with it needed a good freshening up anyway.

Like I said earlier, I've got dibs on another 89 that is just as nice or nicer than mine was that I can restore someday too. I plan to have a stable of quads...

My wife likes my hobby, keeps me home and out of trouble! plus work is pretty stressful for me and these projects keep me grounded and my anxiety at bay!!!

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
ah, sweet!

i agree with you, after a long day of school im not always the first person you want to come to, i just want to be left alone by my self with my quads! half and hour or so of riding puts be back in a good mood, unless i crash, but even then im happy... for the most part... as long as something isnt broke!

are you going to race this quad at all?

troybilt
02-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Here's a little update long over due:

Got the quad back together, still need a few things but its nice to see somewhat of a finished project.

Future plans:

Switch to Fullbore full fender white plastic, these fenders are just temporary that I threw on there. The rears are OEM and the fronts are Maier and they don't match perfectly in color. The rear plastic I renewed along with the front OEM hood, look great for renewed plastic.

I got a custom red FW Carbon hood for the fullbores

Custom FW Carbon Hump seat being made as I type, this seat is just temporary until I get mine back.

Custom 89 style graphics

I still need to get an XC axle eventually, right now the 6-3 offset wheels are reversed on a +4 axle which gives me a 46" width

EFM auto-clutch, I got a complete brand new OEM clutch to send for the conversion, still need a quick change cover. When I get money I'll get another one.

Still looking for a rear shock

Engine Skid, chain sprocket, and other misc stuff.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0315_1.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0322.jpg

FW_cArBoN
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Troy,
Your build is looking very nice, and those hoods are on the way to your shop! I can't wait to see the final look from both yours and dan's quads!

Jay

dtowndiesel
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Looks good Troy! Your wheels and tires look tough as nails. Are you planning on running a full chassis skid plate? I would imagine it would be a good idea, especially if your going to try save the frame for a original restoration someday. What about Nerfbars or heel gaurds? just curious because they seem pretty standard for an XC quad, maybe something like what Dan has on his green monster. The seat and hood sound interesting, I can't wait to see them.

troybilt
02-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by FW_cArBoN
Troy,
Your build is looking very nice, and those hoods are on the way to your shop! I can't wait to see the final look from both yours and dan's quads!

Jay

Thanks Jay!, BTW seat was sent out today. If the red hood is anything like my white 450r hood it is going to look amazing. I still need to finish my 450 too. This build kind of took precedence over my 450.

Dan needs to update his thread too. We got some stuff done last night. Got his aarms on, linkage on. The gold pc he used looks really good.

Dtown, yeah I plan to get a full length skid plate, like a PRM or OMF if I can find one.

Did anybody notice the banshee chain guard that I cut to fit with the swing arm skid plate? Worked out pretty good, and at least the chain won't be sliding/grinding on the aluminum guard.

troybilt
02-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dtowndiesel
What about Nerfbars or heel gaurds? just curious because they seem pretty standard for an XC quad, maybe something like what Dan has on his green monster.

heel guards... I'm still waiting/hoping to see what croat1's got cooking. I'm also eventually getting a full set of Rath pegs, nerfs, and heel guards for my 450, just haven't had the money yet. But When I do, I might try to see what it will take to mount those heel guards on my 250.

I've got a decent set of DG alloy series nerfs, that I need to get powder coated. I could always run those too.

croat1
02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
hey troy:
very nice build. are you going to run any kind of lighting? at the national forest i ride you can ride at night. nothing better than ripping thru the woods at night with a nice lighting setup. really a truely different riding experience.

i never like nerf bars for a woods bike. too rocky and rutted and they get hung up.

always liked DG full length skid plates.

heel guards.......sooo close too being being done i can taste it.

what can you tell us about the hood. is it a special one off piece?

joe

troybilt
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Joe, I'll do one better and show you a picture.. :D

troybilt
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by croat1
are you going to run any kind of lighting?
Joe, I still have the original wire harness intact, that I can run my 89 OEM light/hood setup with the maier fronts. Now when I get the full bores, I was thinking of picking up an 86/87 style light or making something on my own.

hey on those heel guards, do you think there would be the option to run nets vs. the enclosed sheet aluminum version? I'm just curious.

croat1
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
nope don't like it........just kidding. is fourwerx making these?

troybilt
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
FW, made 2 of them for Dan but I bought the 2nd one. FW also made some very nice matching red tank covers too for stock size tank, but those wouldn't work on my IMS tank. I think he still has those..?

If anyone is interested, here is the covers, these are very nice too, but I didn't have a need for one with my oversized tank:

croat1
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
hey troy:
didn't want to let the cat out of the bag but since you asked....
the heel guards will be available with the "standard" aluminum backing. laser cutting anything you want in them (logos, numbers or the standard thru holes). we are going to offer them in a version with nets also. call me this weekend for more specifics. 216-406-1612

hey i need some of that CAT loom material.

troybilt
02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
That loom stuff, I stole some for Dan. I think it is just an off-the-shelf McMaster-Carr or Grainger supplied loom. I'll check this afternoon, I'll see if we've got more lying around that I can shove in my computer bag... :D

Sounds good on the heel guards. I'll give you a call on Sunday evening a visit with you about them.

pdxbigfoot
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
That build is looking really nice....great work!!!!

troybilt
02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Joe,

The loom is this stuff from McMaster-Carr. You can get the same some stuff from Allied Electronics or Grainer too. I have an account with MCMasterCarr so I get my stuff there. Its 5 bucks for 10' of it. Probably takes all that and maybe a little more, I'll still see if I can yank some from work and send it to you.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9196k3/=5sf91r

Fear250r
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Gotta comment again, looking great Troy!

I think I've decided to tear mine apart again and change some stuff up now that I got myself some nice plastics from Steve. I just need some garage space damn it!! Or at least some nice weather....

croat1
02-12-2010, 11:49 PM
hey troy: i was thinking the loom material was something special from CAT. i will get it from mcmaster carr. good thing about mcmaster carr is that they are 45 minutes away from me. makes things nice when your working on a project at home/work to have such a big supply house at your finger tips.

troybilt
02-13-2010, 07:50 AM
80% of the stuff like this that Cat sells is made from another supplier. McMaster-Carr doesn't make it either they just sell it from the same supplier. I can get you company that makes it.

Cat just marks it up 300% and throws their name on it... not even exaggerating

McMaster-Carr is a great place to find bearings, pins, carbon fiber sheets, you name it they have it and at the cheapest prices on the internet. I went as far as I have an account with them I buy so much stuff from them.

We found bearings for Dan's Roll front end on there. I guarantee none of the major builders, Houser, Walsh, Laeger, etc... make special bearings. The Houser ones are made by Torrington. Timkin is another major bearing supplier. Which in my experience it is always cheaper to just go to places like McMaster, Grainger, etc... to get the same bearings for fractions of the price... just my $0.02

312R1
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Looks great Troy!!

troybilt
02-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks Steve! Fired it up yesterday for the first time since I tore it apart. Fired right up on first kick, couldn't believe it, I was expecting to trouble shoot spark, jetting, etc... 185lbs compression. Running VP fuel and Castor 927 2 stroke oil. Smells sweet... gotta love the 2 stroke, I haven't ran it in almost a year, been riding the ol'450.

...and one more picture for good measure... :D

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/DSCN0335.jpg

danhung11
02-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Nice work Troy! It looks great. Glad it fired up on first kick, I know what that feeling is like. Do the guys a favor and snap some closeups, your bike is immaculate!

red88r
02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks good man. Very nicely done. Where do you live..I wish our snow would go away soon...getting sick of it. lol

SilverLake250R
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Your bike looks awesome- this summer hopefully mine will have a similar color scheme. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the '89 decals?

troybilt
02-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I got the decals from ddrslap on ebay. They do great work.

Dan, I'll snap some more pics and post them today. I also got some pictures of yours so you can update your thread too, that I can send you or post the pics for you.

C41Xracer
02-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Troy, compliments of your build i went out and bought a prd chassis to build an XC quad after my laeger is done. keep up the good work, your quad is lookin good

troybilt
02-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Thank you all for the nice compliments:

Heres are couple more pics "close-up" like Dan mentioned
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0341.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0343.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0350.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0351.jpg

troybilt
02-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Also wanted to show you my handy-work on the OEM hood that Dan gave me. This hood was in really rough shape, and I spent 4 hrs sanding this thing down and polishing it back up. Also used Plastic Renew. I swear by this stuff.... :D

The rear plastics were Plastic Renewed as well. They are the original 21 year old OEM's!!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0356.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0355.jpg

croat1
02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
once again troy very nice. that bumper sure looks nice. i was just thinking you should let me have that red oem hood since you are getting the fourwerx carbon one :)

troybilt
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Well, I've done a few updates to my XC build. unfortunately I didn't get them done before the calender dead line, but there's always next year... LOL!!!

PC'd black the wheels, and nerfs. I also send the nerfs off to be reinforced, the LRD's had a few problematic areas, they are better than new and the best setup I've seen so far. I love them. I also designed some number plates myself, I think they look sexy on there...LOL. I started working with my new design software and I'm getting the hang of it. I installed a Magura Hydro clutch, very nice setup, and lastly I got some new FW Carbon White radiator shrouds, they really look nice. See what you think! Doing a few things here and there, while work on the Elsinore project.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0961.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0962.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0958.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0964.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0954.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0952.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/robltc/my%20250r%20Build/DSCN0957.jpg

312R1
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Damn bro..she is sexy!! I see your running the sparks engine..How does it run?

-Steve

troybilt
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM
So far so good, its seems to be more of an MX/TT ported motor, but with the 220lbs compression I still get decent bottom end.

I had a few issues with it, (so your ears were probably burning a couple months ago.... LOL!...) but nothing I couldn't fix, just nic nac stuff...

Its a strong running motor, I'm anxious to get it out to the dunes this spring and see what it does... down the road, I might get a ESR 330 top end for it, but right now my priority is on my other bike.

312R1
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
So far so good, its seems to be more of an MX/TT ported motor, but with the 220lbs compression I still get decent bottom end.

I had a few issues with it, (so your ears were probably burning a couple months ago.... LOL!...) but nothing I couldn't fix, just nic nac stuff...

Its a strong running motor, I'm anxious to get it out to the dunes this spring and see what it does... down the road, I might get a ESR 330 top end for it, but right now my priority is on my other bike.

LOL..what were the issues?

troybilt
11-05-2010, 06:41 PM
...well the motor sat on my shelf for 6-8 months before I decided to put it in the bike... but some of the issues were, stripped drain plug, stripped bolts holding the clutch cover, seal leaking around the clutch lever, the coolant drain plug was stripped out... but I got them all fixed, except for the clutch lever seal... no worries, man.. I was just giving you a hard time. Its a solid motor.

C41Xracer
11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Damn troy that quad looks even better now than before. Now I can't wait to start on my build

croat1
11-07-2010, 01:24 PM
looks ok at best. lol just kidding. very nice troy.

are the FW arbon shrouds a one off? or are they an off the shelf item? are they available in other colors?