PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

Quadfather
01-20-2003, 05:08 PM
I just gone done doing a bunch of stuff to my quad. I charged the battery wile I was in the process. When I got done, and tried to start it, it just cranked and cranked. As soon as you hit the starter button, there is a pretty loud "click" next to the battery that I don't think I've heard before, but the engine cranks after the click. I pulled the plug, it was bone dry, and held it to the pipe, and there is no spark. The battery had been cranking a bit before I tried this, but it was still cranking, just not with a full battery.

Any ideas? Thanks.

northeast400
01-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Do you have a aftermarket CDI box?

Quadfather
01-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Yes, I do. I bought the quad used, and it has a Sparks CDI box on it. I never had a problem all last winter though. It always fired right up.

stupid driver
01-20-2003, 07:02 PM
its your ground wire. check the bolts on your battery, make sure they're tight, and check the bolt that connects the ground wire to the frame. make sure its good and tight. this same thing caused me an hour of good ridin last summer due to the fact that i didnt know what the he11 was going wrong :grr :grr

massdabate
01-20-2003, 07:03 PM
i have the same problem my bike has the stock cdi ,it is the celinoid (if that is how you spell it) making the clicking sound mine only does it when its really cold or after going through some wet spots. i take it out of the little rubber boot and clean it and it doesnt click until it gets dirty again hope this helps

Quadfather
01-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks. I know the connections to the battery are tight. Where is the ground attached to the frame?

massdabate
01-20-2003, 07:06 PM
near the end of the sub frame