PDA

View Full Version : high compression pistion

draygarcia
01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
what do i need to do i thinking about putting a cp 13.6:1 what else do i need to do or can i just put the pistion in and leave everything else stock or what do i need to do its stock 97mm i thought i just put the pistion and thats all i need any help

miles Machine
01-01-2010, 10:33 PM
fuel controller

draygarcia
01-01-2010, 11:14 PM
thats all i need where can i get one of those at or does the pink wire do the same thing as a fuel controller

miles Machine
01-01-2010, 11:54 PM
your fuel controller goes above and beyond the pink wire mode by letting you configure a custom map precisely to your machines needs to make maximum power or downloading a map for similar mods you have from a laptop, the wire mod is mainly for lid off and or slip on......there are many controllers out there some like Yoshimura pim and the power comander's which let you custom map the bike as well and do the 3 basic adjustment like jetting a carb, then there are some like hmf, fmf, dynatek, and the list goes on that only allow you to adjust off of 3 circuits like a carb.

just do a little research on them and decide what is right for you...mostly every pipe company makes one

draygarcia
01-01-2010, 11:56 PM
is a motoworks fmi the same as a fuel controler or whats the difference anyone help

miles Machine
01-02-2010, 12:04 AM
yes it is but you can only adjust for 3 settings or in carb talk(pilot,needle,main jets)

draygarcia
01-02-2010, 12:05 AM
a motowroks fmi would work thats what kind of slip on i have and if i get one do i need to connect the pink wire back of can i leave it un connected

draygarcia
01-02-2010, 12:06 AM
so what would youi recamend would be the best one for me to add a pistion and a pipe

miles Machine
01-02-2010, 12:19 AM
im a fan of the power comanders mainly because of all the adaptability ....all you need is a laptop unlike the yoshi were you have to buy the fimak as well to change the fuel curve were as the comander has the ability to get detailed with the computer adjustments...you can use it to make a custom map on a dynojet dynos which alot of ppl use and you have the basic adjustments....but on thr other hand if your not gonna use the laptop adjustment feature or the dyno tune feature...your better off the the basic ones.

dyno jet also makes a power comander 5 series that you can get a o2 sensor to weld a bung in the headpipe and it will auto tune itself

joeyds450x
01-04-2010, 06:41 AM
dont do it.. i put a high compression piston in and left eveything else stock and its blown two sets of gaskets out already.. running turbo blue 110 octane.. thinkin about goin back to stock piston..

TNT
01-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by joeyds450x
dont do it.. i put a high compression piston in and left eveything else stock and its blown two sets of gaskets out already.. running turbo blue 110 octane.. thinkin about goin back to stock piston..

Did you put locktite on the head where the manual says? Around the coolant journals and where the chain is?

A hc should not blow a gasket continuosly something else is wrong you can use these pistons in this quad as many do w/no probs. I know we found the flatness on ours off from the factory you may want to have it checked, a machine shop can can flatten it easily for a low cost.

Dray you may want to get yours checked while it's off.

joeyds450x
01-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by TNT
Did you put locktite on the head where the manual says? Around the coolant journals and where the chain is?

A hc should not blow a gasket continuosly something else is wrong you can use these pistons in this quad as many do w/no probs. I know we found the flatness on ours off from the factory you may want to have it checked, a machine shop can can flatten it easily for a low cost.

Dray you may want to get yours checked while it's off.

the dealer put the gaskets in and assured me that eveything was done correctly.. great dealer up in shawno, wi

TNT
01-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by joeyds450x
the dealer put the gaskets in and assured me that eveything was done correctly.. great dealer up in shawno, wi

why does he say you'res keeps blowing and most everyone else does not?

draygarcia
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
the flatness of what tnt

eastside 400
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
hes referring to the flatness of the cylinder head, also the flatness of the the cylinder should also be checked since it is aluminum too. if you have access to a straighedge (an actual machinest straighedge or a very accurate peice of machined metal) you can check it yourself by placing it across the head and cylinder in several locations in different directions and try putting feeler gauges in between to check for a warpage, the manual should give a spec

I agree with everyone else, something else is wrong besides the piston, just putting a high comp piston in will not cause gaskets to blow, even if it was lean, you would melt the piston before headgasket failure.
What is actually happening when "your gaskets blow" like what is the problem when it happens.

draygarcia
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
when my blew it started dying and it would like run good if you didnt let off the throttle but once you let off it would die or bog out tnt told me there bike was doing same **** and it was a head gasket so i putting one in but i decided to put a hc well i was at it

TNT
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
hes referring to the flatness of the cylinder head, also the flatness of the the cylinder should also be checked since it is aluminum too. if you have access to a straighedge (an actual machinest straighedge or a very accurate peice of machined metal) you can check it yourself by placing it across the head and cylinder in several locations in different directions and try putting feeler gauges in between to check for a warpage, the manual should give a spec

I agree with everyone else, something else is wrong besides the piston, just putting a high comp piston in will not cause gaskets to blow, even if it was lean, you would melt the piston before headgasket failure.
What is actually happening when "your gaskets blow" like what is the problem when it happens.

Good post! Ironically nothing in the shop manual spec's for the head or cyl, unless Joey's mechanic has something from the factory it never got checked and could explain why he keeps blowing.

eastside 400
01-04-2010, 07:53 PM
oh ok, i just knew that honda put the warpage spec in for their head, usually for such a small head its only going to allow for like .002" or so, dont quote me or anything but any warpage should probably be fixed especially if you are having problems

TNT
01-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
oh ok, i just knew that honda put the warpage spec in for their head, usually for such a small head its only going to allow for like .002" or so, dont quote me or anything but any warpage should probably be fixed especially if you are having problems

Yeah I was going to ask you what you've seen....I was going to guess .005 but bet your right...Nice to see a machinest out here that understands. :D

Aircraft we do like .010 but this interface needs tighter than that I'd think. Wow bet you need a good flat bottom NC cutter and flad bed for this. I was not there when they did hours, he did ours by hand on a bench but he's very skilled at it....Still not sure we got our gasket problem fixed it's been a while seems ok but we had a sleeve installed so some perpendicuarity too....

Dray I taked to him his blew since he had alot of hours on it. Told him he'd be fine w/HC piston....but yeah if he can check like you discribed would be good. ;)

eastside 400
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
haha, im no machinest at all, i am an auto tech, i also do my own motors but no machine work, i just really like being involved with as much as i can so i dont rely on others. The limit for warpage might be more but i know on a typical larger head like .006 is what you limit it at and i would be more strict on the small head since it shouldnt warp as much being that is alot smaller and the headgaskets are not meant to seal that big of a difference

joeyds450x
01-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by TNT
why does he say you'res keeps blowing and most everyone else does not?

well the first time he thought it was cuz i ran premium not turbo blue.. didnt say anything about the second time.. but the second time they put permatex on the head gasket and base gasket.. im thinking it blew the persatex out then blew the gaskets out? but thats just my guess.. i thought you couldnt run permatex on the head gaskets?

eastside 400
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
permatex what? permatex is a brand, not a product. are the gaskets multilayer steel like usual headgaskets? ive never had a canam apart. if they are multilayer steel then nothing should be added to the gasket itself