PDA

View Full Version : MY first 400ex

trx400Rider
01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey guys I just got a 2007 400ex a few days ago, and was wondering what are some good cheap mods to do to it. Whats a good nerf bar that bolts right up with no drilling reqiured. How can I make it run a little cooler? Im looking at a EHS airbox lid and i UNI air filter. Would that get me a little more power? Im not looking for any suspension upgrades yet, just some basic easy mods I can do myself.

Thanks!
-Phil

Miami_Vice454
01-01-2010, 10:35 PM
welcome to the forum. to answer some of your questions - i have dg nerf bars i lemme tell you they rae the best. i can stand with all my 210 lbs on one bar and nothing. my friend has some tusks and they broke with just normal riding. i suggest either dg or proarmor and maybe ac. i have experience with the other two but i hear they are good. as far as cooling you can add either a SPAL fan or extra oil cooler or both. if you are going to add filter you need to rejet. you will love this bike.

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Hi and welcome, if you’re new to it I would just ride it like it is. The first thing is it has way more motor than suspension. Meaning the bike will go faster then the suspension will allow. Don’t get me wrong with a good rider it will do some impressive things in the stock form. The 400 is bullet proof as far as just ridding the crap out of it and just doing general maintenance on it. Just keep good oil in it and change it often. As far as taking the lid off the air filter that won’t do much and you will just have to clean the filter every time you ride. If you leave the lid on and snorkel on you should be able to only clean it when you change the oil. I wouldn’t worry about it overheating just don’t let the mud and dirt build up on the motor.

Congratulations and have fun!!!

Ride it like it is and save your money and if you do deside to up gread it you can do it all at one time. That way you feel the gains all at once.

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Ok i'd spring for the nerfs and some ridding gear for sure.

trx400Rider
01-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the quick replys everyone. I looked at the spal 400ex kit on ebay. I'll put that on later down the road. Im looking at a set of stainless steel air scoops, there 60$ I dont think thats bad. I need a good set of nerf bars 1st, then a skid plate for the frame. There my two main objectives. I need a new air filter soon, so Im looking at a UNI, and that EHS airbox lid. I dont want to do any serious engine mods, just a jet kit, pipe, and air filter will work fine for me. I read the reviews on nerf bars for the 400, and alot say, DRILLING. I dont want to do that, DG is a good brand, but I'm leaning more towards Pro-Armor and Blingstar. Im 6'1'' 215lbs, and fit alright on the 400. It has enough power for whatever I want to do.

This forums pretty kick***

Wildbrain
01-02-2010, 12:44 AM
What color is yer new 4 hundee?

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 02:18 AM
I have ac nerfs and they have held up well and i did not have to drill anything.

rinaldi
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I know someone above mention their friend had Tusk bars and they broke. I had the Pro Armor Fat Bars and they fit like **it. I sent them back and tried the Tusk nerf with heel guards. They fit very well, look great, as solid as the Pro Armor if not better and cost $170 shipped. That is hard to beat. They have the same color finish as your wheels. I weigh about 190 and have had zero issues.

jasonanderson1
01-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by rinaldi
I know someone above mention their friend had Tusk bars and they broke. I had the Pro Armor Fat Bars and they fit like **it. I sent them back and tried the Tusk nerf with heel guards. They fit very well, look great, as solid as the Pro Armor if not better and cost $170 shipped. That is hard to beat. They have the same color finish as your wheels. I weigh about 190 and have had zero issues.

I have pro armor and theyve held up on my old 01 400ex so well that now that im parting it out i took them off and put them on my newer 400.

3400ben
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
slightlybent47 is right if you are not going to race leave it Alone. I pipe is just for looks (imo) and a jet kit is worth less. You are not going to gain that much by taking the air box lid off or by buying a high dollar open top lid. You will have twice the maintenance. Air scoops are for looks and 400 in stock form doesn't extra cooling. Suspension is the only thing you could upgrade and see a difference that you can enjoy!!!! Buy good riding gear that fits, wear the gear when you go riding and enjoy your 400ex. IMO

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Just to give you an idea of what a stock ex can do, here I am on my ex at Austin Del Valley a few years ago. The only thing that wasn’t stock was the wheels and tires and the wb slip on pipe.

http://i50.tinypic.com/5oywic.jpg

Three palms

http://i48.tinypic.com/25k5r8i.jpg

trx400Rider
01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Damn your 400's sick.
Im looking for some general mods, a slip-on hmf pipe, jet-kit, and filter for performance wise. Looks wise, air scoops, Iron Cross front bumper, nerfs and skids.

Can someone send a link of a good nerf bar?

trx400Rider
01-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I get some pictures of my 400 ina little bit :)

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 02:21 PM
All three of those pics was a stock ex with just nerfs and tires on it.

Here is a pic as it sits now...

http://i48.tinypic.com/35n812w.jpg

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
My point with the pics is to show you what a stock ex can do. And I’m 50 years old and over the hill. Just think what a real rider could do with it

3400ben
01-02-2010, 02:34 PM
He is a pic of ac nerfs.

slightlybent47
01-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
He is a pic of ac nerfs.

Those look real good i like the heal guards. mine have the stock heal guards on them.

Too bad the jug is missing!!:eek:

trx400Rider
01-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all those pics. Your 400 is nice. Ok I cant decide which nerfs are better, the pro armor or ac's? Im guna keep the stock foot pegs and heel quards for now. But I read the pro-armor need drilling, and the AC are a b**** to install.

siggy konowaluk
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
there both good but have there little minor problems with drilling or hard to install. just go to which ever ones you like the best.

trx400Rider
01-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by siggy konowaluk
there both good but have there little minor problems with drilling or hard to install. just go to which ever ones you like the best.

Thanks man.

What part of PA are you in? Newton Ransom???