PDA

View Full Version : New 250R Owner

86DUNCAN250R
01-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi guys and girls, I'm new to this site. I have an 05' Predator 500 and this past august of 09' I was able to pick up the quad I've been melting to get for the past 6 years. My 86' TRX 250R... I found this baby for a sweet $800.00... It had been sitting in a barn for about 8 maybe 9 years I'm guessing by the way the guy talked... I'm lucky enough to know the two owners its been through.... the original owner used to race a 250r and his sponsors bought him a 2nd one in 86'(the one i just bought((never raced)), he owned it for about 2 years before getting in a bad accident on his other 250r and giving up the sport... he then sold it to the guy who i bought it from... the original owner put a few doodads on it including aaen head pipe with an answer2 silencer, oneil bars, 909 grips, Nacs case saver, a 37T sidewinder rear sprocket, a k&n filter, and i believe the carb has had a bit of tuning up though its an ftermarket equivelent to stock size and a twist throttle has been added... i was trying to buy it from the guy i worked with for about 5-6 years failing in every attempt... he was one of those guys that couldn't make up his mind to sell it or not...I began to think i'd never find one in the right shape i wanted until august 09' i hadn't seen him in 2 years and i happened to run into him one day and he asked if i was still interested in buying it... at that point I gave him a curious grin wondering if I was onto another pointless conversation that was goin to steer me into an empty space in the garage with yet still that dream of ever owning one yet unfullfilled...I then listened to him tell his thoughts that he had to surrender to selling it because he has a bum hip and can't take the bouncing around on an atv anymore even if he did fix it to ride again... he asked me what I'd pay for it and I said whats it worth to you? he said he'd be happy if he could get $600.00 for it... I then said where is it? ... I went a few days later to look at this poor orphaned atv in his garage and just about S**T myself at what was before me that I persued so hard and for so long.... It was in beautiful shape... the only problems I saw was a bent axle which he told me happened when he was riding around the back yard one day and kicked the backend out a bit and hit the rear tire on a tree... it never tweaked the rim at all just bent the axle a good bit... and Isaw a slight crack on the casing of the motor. it doen't expose the innards of the engine to harm but the crack is right on the edge of the thread hole for the upper bolt that holds the chain guard/case saver in place... A minor fix since I'm going to get it welded and save it for a backup case since I'm buying a new case anyway... I told the guy i'd be back in a week or two when i had the money... when Icame back he said he wanted $800.00 instead of the $600.00 he originally told me... IT WAS WORTH IT!!! Since then I've started tinkering with it... due to holidays I've been a bit tight and work has been slow as well but I took it home and dumped a half quart of old gas out, flushed the tank with a quart of fresh gas, topped the tank off, and she wanted to fire after about 5 or 6 kicks....I put a fresh spark plug in it and about 15 more kicks and prrrrrrrrrrr..... sweet music to my ears... then I went to work... $640.00 for a +1' to +4" Lonestar axecaliber axle and Lonestar twin row heavy duty bearing carrier.. then I could ride it a bit.... About $200-$250 for some YFZ450 bend handlebars, hurricane grips, 3" powermadd bar risers, and powermadd hand guards... took the stock headlight off(going to be replaced with some trailtech lights)... I also noticed some exhaust leaking from the gasket on the head flange, and where the head pipe and silencer join eachother... Another $775.00 for a full Paul Turner racing exhaust... flange, Chrome eliminator head pipe (mid-top end) new clamp, with a Fatboy2 silencer.... Put that on and wow... pulls alot harder than that old school aaen pipe/answer2 silencer... these Paul turner eliminator pipes pull really hard through the mid rpms and the just continue to pull like all heck through the top end... it doesn't seem to let up once it kicks in... the powerband is ever so much more of a beast... I plan on doing a full restoration on my 250R... i plan on getting a duncan 340 cylinder with eliminator porting, pyramid reeds, fox float shocks, full bore plastics and much much more... its going to be fun... i'll put pictures on soon so you all can see my new baby.... its 98% original like I said... wait till you see those plastics with the original stickers still in tact... its mint for sure... thanks for reading this guys and keep sharing... I will as well.... From one 250R Rider to another... 250R's will never die with us! oh... Happy new year!!! :)

CorvetteZ06
01-01-2010, 06:13 AM
happy new year year and congrats! post some pics of her!

Honda5
01-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Lets see some pictures!! I love the old barn finds.

86DUNCAN250R
01-01-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm working on getting some on here right now guys.. i just posted another thread about pic posting because its giving me problems posting them... when i try to insert them from my jump drive its saying that i'm over the allowed 200,000 bytes allowed and i don't know why... any light on what i'm doing wrong? lol ... i'm dum for this one..

Honda5
01-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm not good at that stuff. I just crop the picture way down and they work for me.

troybilt
01-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 86DUNCAN250R
I'm working on getting some on here right now guys.. i just posted another thread about pic posting because its giving me problems posting them... when i try to insert them from my jump drive its saying that i'm over the allowed 200,000 bytes allowed and i don't know why... any light on what i'm doing wrong? lol ... i'm dum for this one..

File size is too big... just compress them or resize them.

..or better, use a photo storing website like Photobucket.com or something similar... easy to do.

250rPRIDE
01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
cant wait to see your pics and watch the progress of your build.
happy new year!!!