PDA

View Full Version : jumping the 400

RCWells
12-31-2009, 10:04 PM
So I finally got to ride the other day and start jumping it. This was the first time I really got to open it up a bit and hit a decent jump. It's not a big one, but the distance wasn't bad imo.

Critiques welcome.

Also, I realized very quickly that the suspension isn't up to the task of handling my 220lb a** on a jump this size and certainly not anything much bigger. That said, I definitely am looking forward to bigger air, so I am going to upgrade the suspension.

Do I need to go LT susp, what are the pros/cons? Advice is welcome.

I have done quite a bit of searching and reading on the subject, but anyone that can summarize and give some good advice on this would be appreciated.

Here's a link to vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8RWeRzkKEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-tNcuizcSc

KISSmyACE
12-31-2009, 10:18 PM
You can tell that your suspension isn't set up for you, by the bounce that you got when you landed. 400ex shocks are known to be "pogo sticks". Have you looked into a set of 450R shocks? You don't need LT, no. Widen it and go with ST and you'll be fine.

RCWells
12-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, i needa lose 20lbs, but more importantly i think the legs need improvement.

So, I'm considering the stage 3 Elkas, not sure what a-arms. +1, +2?

KISSmyACE
12-31-2009, 10:38 PM
+2s or +3s... if you get the +3's it will put you at 50" wide, which is the limit and suggested width for MX racing. if you will be doing a lot of woods riding or XC racing, +1. I have +2's and I'm good for both.

bkelley
01-01-2010, 02:34 AM
I just put some +2s on mine to go along with my KFX 450R shocks. Seems to be a pretty good match, gonna be doing some extensive testing this weekend at the dunes.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7466/dscf7417.jpg

jasonanderson1
01-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by RCWells
So I finally got to ride the other day and start jumping it. This was the first time I really got to open it up a bit and hit a decent jump. It's not a big one, but the distance wasn't bad imo.

Critiques welcome.

Also, I realized very quickly that the suspension isn't up to the task of handling my 220lb a** on a jump this size and certainly not anything much bigger. That said, I definitely am looking forward to bigger air, so I am going to upgrade the suspension.

Do I need to go LT susp, what are the pros/cons? Advice is welcome.

I have done quite a bit of searching and reading on the subject, but anyone that can summarize and give some good advice on this would be appreciated.

Here's a link to vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8RWeRzkKEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-tNcuizcSc

Also before you hit the jump just before either downshift if dont have enough rpm's or gun the throttle...it seems your in 3rd or 4th gear from how it look...when i hit jumps i go as fast as possible, so you need new shocks. If you dont want to spend much go with 450 shocks, if you want to spend alittle more get some nice used elkas or works.

mineralgrey01gt
01-01-2010, 10:14 AM
i just picked up works shocks and a +2 front end and man what a difference. Ill be running 3:2 wheels to widen me up a little for my mx setup but ill keep my stockers for when i hit the woods that way i can bring the front end a little to make it down the trails

RCWells
01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
There's been lots of talk about having shocks set up specifically for a rider's weight, and of course style.

How many of you have shocks valved/setup for YOUR weight??

I really think I will go with some new Elkas, prolly stage 3 and I suppose I will go with the +2 arms.

I KNOW you guys hate this question, but WHICH a-arms?? and IF you answer this, please say WHY a particular brand.

Thanks to all.

KISSmyACE
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by RCWells
There's been lots of talk about having shocks set up specifically for a rider's weight, and of course style.

How many of you have shocks valved/setup for YOUR weight??

I really think I will go with some new Elkas, prolly stage 3 and I suppose I will go with the +2 arms.

I KNOW you guys hate this question, but WHICH a-arms?? and IF you answer this, please say WHY a particular brand.

Thanks to all.

I have 450 shocks that have been adjusted (rebound compression and preload) for my weight with springs for under 120 lbs. I have not had them revalved yet though, but I like them how they are and I'm happy. It's also a good idea to keep them maintenanced, oil and nitrogen and cleaning every few rides.
I had a set of Works Triple rate that were valved for nearly 100 lbs more than me, and they were miserable, I hated them. Many people have them and like them.
As far as a-arms go, it seems to me, this is just my opinion, that a lot of what you pay for is a brand name. If you trail ride, the MGC arms are pretty badass. MGC = max ground clearance. I have a set of Burgards, that I got off ebay at a killer deal. From what I've seen, most are all made of the same product and so far my arms have held up great.