PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade?

TeeRX400
12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I thinking about trading my 2000 400ex for a 2004 ltz 400. heres whats done to both quads, let me know if you think I should trade or not.

My 2000 400ex:

Supertrapp exhaust
Stage 1 hotcam
uni filter w/no lid
TC Racing revbox
Nacs racing throttle
Dura Blue 2+2 axle
+2 a-arms
PRM +1 swing arm
ITP rims
ITP holeshot mxr4 18x10-8 rear tires
ITP holeshot mxr6 20x6-10 front tires
Teather kill switch
Denton steering dampener
Fly bars
DG nerf bars

2004 ltz 400:

Athena 435cc big bore kit
FMF slip on
Trail Tech xbars

woodsracer144
12-31-2009, 10:26 PM
no

that 400ex is the best quad you can own for a trail if you watn to race look at a 250r or yfz...

i rode a ltz of the summer and it was a POS... you ring its neck harder then a 2stroke... its just pinned you cant lug it at all like you can that 400ex..

the only thing he has is a 435 kit...

just put a 416 on yours or run it as is...

KISSmyACE
12-31-2009, 10:40 PM
I learned to ride on a LTZ400 with a 440 big bore in it, and it had a lot of torque, lots of power, and it was very fast. But overall, the EX is definitely a better quad. Your bike is set up for you, how you like it, and you have more money put into it so it seems. I say keep your bike.

TeeRX400
12-31-2009, 10:43 PM
No the thing is I bought the 400ex how it is and I kinda just wanna build up something how I want it.

KISSmyACE
12-31-2009, 10:46 PM
oh okay then. honestly idk what to tell you. change your bike up a little to get what you want or if you want something newer go with the LTZ. i love my EX and wouldnt trade it for anything...

except a YFZ450.

TeeRX400
12-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Yea I do want something a little newer, and I like that the z400 is liquid cooled.

woodsracer144
12-31-2009, 11:08 PM
what are you going to be ridin in...

i personally think that 400ex is the easiest motor to work with other then a 250x/300ex,

the easiest motor ithink is a blaster, it took me a half our to rebuild my top end. not countin the time it took the shop to do it. it was really easy and fast, dont have to piss with the antifreeze...

i still think you would like the 400ex, there are TON of parts for them... if you dont like the stock motor, you can take it all the way to a 460exor make it a hybred...

if you go to a hybred, i think oyu should us a yzf motor, they are crazy for being stock...

TeeRX400
12-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I dont race I mostly just ride trails and around my neighborhood on the street. I want something faster but dont have money to put in my quad since I dont have a job, and the z400 has the big bore kit so I know its faster. Also I love doing wheelies which is a little tougher on my 400ex since its lower and longer.

flyboy1294
01-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by TeeRX400
I dont race I mostly just ride trails and around my neighborhood on the street. I want something faster but dont have money to put in my quad since I dont have a job, and the z400 has the big bore kit so I know its faster. Also I love doing wheelies which is a little tougher on my 400ex since its lower and longer.

I have driven and worked on both. The ltz was stock aside from exhaust and aitfilter, etc, and my 400 has the mods in my sig. I know it isn't a fair comparison ;) :D

But even if the power were identical, I would choose the 400ex for several reasons. This has nothing to do with a Honda bias (even though you ARE on a Honda based forum...)
1). the 400ex is easier to work on. There is a lot more space and it is over all more 'roomy'
2). the 400ex has a MASSIVE aftermarket line and hasn't changed virtually at all in 10 years.
3). the 400ex is on a larger frame, And while doing wheelies is more difficult, you will be happy you have it next time you go on a long trail ride.

And on a side note, who cares about top speed? You said you ride in a neighborhood and on trails. I'd like to see anyone doing 60mph+ in either of those areas. Having more power is fun, but you wouldn't be trading into more of it. Why take the risk of getting a new quad with hidden defects when you know yours works?

My advise, keep the 400. Save your money, and upgrade it as you can. You'll be surprised how far a little goes with these quads. But it's your life, do what you want.

Ryan'07400ex
01-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by TeeRX400
Also I love doing wheelies which is a little tougher on my 400ex since its lower and longer.

If your meaning your swingarm is to long for wheelies then I'd consider trading you for my stock one. Wheelies don't really matter much to me. :blah:

Seriously I wouldn't trade your ex for that z though you wouldn't gain anything except possibly a less reliable engine since thats a pretty big bore.

TRX01
01-01-2010, 09:16 AM
yep DONT do it, i ride my 400ex and my cousins LTZ(KFX )same qauds) and the KFX is taller, meaning its more top heavy.....its slightly faster and thats it to me.....i like my 400ex WAY better

jdog75
01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
plus any big borew engine is less reliable and you could be riding it for a month and somthing goes wrong and you dont have a running bike untill you fix it. plus the z or kfx or dvx are all very tippy and high up

TeeRX400
01-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I though the athena kit was somewhat decent. The biggest reasons I wanna do it is because its newer, its liquid cooled, dual cam, and its stock besides the big bore kit and slip on. I just wanna build something up exactly how i want it since I bought my 400ex with all the mods already on it.

John Noftsinger
01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Teerx 400 ,I had both these quads and these guys dont know squat about the z if you build a z to your liking it will outrun/outperform MOST EX,s with little mods .the motor,s are just as reliable. lets put it this way the z was winning Mx races against 250r,s/450 in the early day,s there were no Ex,s winning national,s and there were lots of Ex,s on the track compared to z,s 100 to 1 .The Z is the best 400 hands down ! you ask these guys on here all your gonna get is BS EX cr3p , they hate the Z cause its a better quad and it out performs there,s and is been updated more with new and better part,s the Ex has got only reverse in all its ten yrs the z has over 50 updates .