PDA

View Full Version : CRF450R Motorcycle? CRF450R vs. YZ426

400exUtah
01-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I was wondering if you could all give me your opinions about motorcycles, and if you have had any experience with the '03 CRF450R.

I have LOVED riding ATVs for the past 5-6 years and have occasionally ridden a motorcycle, but not much. Last Saturday I rode motorcycles all day long for the first time. I love the suspension, power and the feel of a bike. I haven't had a chance to ride a CRF450R yet, but I spend some time on a YZ426F last Saturday and really enjoyed the ride.

I REALLY LOVE Honda and all they stand for, and would prefer to buy a CRF450R. I can buy a brand new 2002 YZ426F for $4,800 or a brand new CRF450R for $5,450. I think I might rent a CRF450R before I would purchase one, but I really like the way Honda puts things together.

What do you guys think? What would you do? I might regret selling my ATV and buying a bike if Honda comes out with a new sport ATV soon (wouldn't that be a miracle)
:D

Thanks in advance for your comments!

MILF_HUNTER
01-20-2003, 04:52 PM
well if your a honda guy like me then get the CRF. Renting it like you said is a good idea. think of it this way. you have a CRF. if you ever want to get back into quads put that motor in a quad. :macho

400exUtah
01-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Come on guys! exriders.com is one of the most opinionated websites around, surely you guys could give me some advice on a motorcycle. Anyone?

racerx573
01-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Get a YZ450F, supposed to blow the Honda away...

killed300ex
01-21-2003, 05:45 AM
get the honda ( very one sided opinion here and i know nothing about bikes.)
killed

jerry-89-250R
01-21-2003, 06:39 AM
i have 2 friends one has a yz450f the other a cr450f, the honda IS faster, as for going back too a dirt bike my son has just bought a yz250f after riding a 440ex 2 years, he says he prefers 2 wheels, as long as you ride it really doesn't matter what you ride, when honda brings their cr250f out this summer i think he will wish he had waited

CBus660R
01-21-2003, 09:15 AM
In a shootout that I read (forget which mag), their opinion was that for entry level and intermediate riders, the CRF was the bike to go with, but expert level and pro riders would like the YZF better. The Honda has a little more flywheel weight, making the motor a little smoother with less of a hit (and slightly less top end)which would also be better for trail riding. This was a test on the '03 450 models, not the '02 426/450. If you are talking about an '03 CRF vs. an '02 YZF426, I would definitely spend the money to get the CRF. If the CRF is a left over '02, I would try to get the price down closer to what you can get the YZF for. Also, unless you are a really serious racer and are truely an expert rider, you're not going to be able to take advantage of (or maybe even notice) any small advantages one may have over the other. This is a classic example of "just go buy the one you would be happy with" and don't look back. Since you are a Honda guy, guess which one I think you should buy:D Oh yeah, the CRF is way easier to start when hot than the '02 and older YZFs. The new '03 YZF have been improved, but still not quite as good as the CRF. For more info, go here (http://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/index.htm)

jerry-89-250R
01-21-2003, 12:08 PM
the guy i know with the 03 yz450f says too him it needs another gear, something missing between second and third, he going too try a heavier flywheel, he races mx

CBus660R
01-21-2003, 01:16 PM
The new YZF 450 is a 4 speed "mid-ratio" tranny (basically dropped 1st gear and spread the others out slightly). In the article I read, they loved it, said it was better spaced than the Honda, of course it was strictly in reference to racing MX. I would think the Honda with the extra gear and slightly closer spacing between each gear would be better, but what do I know, I don't work for a magazine:rolleyes:

NTPRacing#19
01-21-2003, 02:34 PM
yea i think yamaha had the right train of thought for gearing the 450 towards MX and supercross

Tommy 17
01-21-2003, 03:02 PM
i've ridin both bikes and i like the crf better myself... it has a smoother more useable power to it...

the yzf suspesion wasn't as good i don't think either... but thats easy to fix just send it out to proaction...

if i had to pick i would pick the crf for sure... back when i rode bikes my friends all had yz and constantly wrenched on them... they had 125s 80s 250s 250fs 426s they have had them all and everyone has the weakest clutches ever!!!

motochris
01-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Well the CRF and the YZF are very close... I have had seat time with both and if i had to choose it would be the Honda... Only cause the power is smooth and the suspension is good and it will turn on a dime.... The Yamaha will do the same but the suspension lacks just a tad... It doesnt corner to bad tho...The power of the Yamaha is nice but it has a little more hit feel to it... They are both great bikes, but if i was to choose i'd go with Honda CRF... But these bikes are both winners imo... I focus on corners and whoops and jump landings to judge a bike... I dont really worry about a drag race to much or getting the wholeshot cause your not drag racing when racing on a track... But its alway 80% rider and 20% bike imo..... Good luck...:p