PDA

View Full Version : Bad Valve Tap Please Help

jasonanderson1
12-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi everyone, today while riding my 400ex (5 months since bought off the floor) i started to hear a pretty bad valve tap while riding and progressed to get worse, so i had my friend toe me home. Im not low on power or anything, infact the clicking just started today this morning. Im what it could be, i jsut had my valves adjusted 2 weeks ago. Everything has honestly been running fine until now, and the oil level is over the high point on the dipstick. Ive heard of bad timing chains, head gaskets and what not, if anyone has any help please tell me id greatly appreciate it if you were to help me so i can get back out riding asap. Thanks, Jason.

jasonanderson1
12-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Would i be looking at rebuilding the top end?, but it has the same power some im pretty sure the piston is fine? Someone please help.

Duf6
12-31-2009, 08:10 PM
i would recheck the valves first then go from there

togup
12-31-2009, 08:18 PM
If you got some feeler gauges check your clearance on your rockers , the lock(s) may have worked loose. It only makes sense the last thing you did was valve adjustment right?

jasonanderson1
01-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by togup
If you got some feeler gauges check your clearance on your rockers , the lock(s) may have worked loose. It only makes sense the last thing you did was valve adjustment right?

Yes the last thing i did was adjusted the valves added a pre filter and changed my oil and put a new oil filter. Thats it. So you think its the valves?

jdog75
01-01-2010, 10:27 AM
did you say there was oil over the line on the dipstick. if so you could of foamed up your oil causing it to not flow right and you werent oiling things properly makng them tick or mayby but probly not you didnt get enought oil to the crank and spun the bearing

jasonanderson1
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by jdog75
did you say there was oil over the line on the dipstick. if so you could of foamed up your oil causing it to not flow right and you werent oiling things properly makng them tick or mayby but probly not you didnt get enought oil to the crank and spun the bearing

Yes it over the high marker on the stick, but it always is when i change my oil, i use honda 400 storke oil from the stealership. But its been ticking so im not riding it until i figure things out. So all i ask is for more advice. Should i oder a new timing chain?

johnnynonails
01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
re check the valves b4 u spend any money,its a free thing todo,and will take them outta the guessing game of what the noise is

jasonanderson1
01-02-2010, 12:46 AM
ok im going to do that tomorrow

jdog75
01-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by jasonanderson1
Yes it over the high marker on the stick, but it always is when i change my oil, i use honda 400 storke oil from the stealership. But its been ticking so im not riding it until i figure things out. So all i ask is for more advice. Should i oder a new timing chain?

i doubt its the timing chain on an 07

jasonanderson1
01-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Yea i dont see how it could go bad after riding it for 4-5 months. When i rebuilt my old 01 the timing chain was near perfect and the quads engine was beat, everythnig else was fine on it just it had allot of hours from the previous owner, but it just need a new piston. So someone pelase help, il have info on the valves later. Thanks to everyone so far, please keep helping.