PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chains for Snow

quadbiker
01-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Machine: 300 ex
Rear tires: Ohtsu h-trak p/v 702 22-10-9
Tire chains: Cycle Country v-bar size A . price: $42.00

These tire chains work surprisingly well is snow. Some ppl say to use paddles, which is fine if you already have them. But if you don't, and are not planning on riding any dunes, try these chains for snow. You will have to stay on packed-down snow like snowmobile trails, there is no way a four-wheeler can cross open areas of soft powder without getting stuck.

Getting the chains on the first time is a hassle. The instructions are lame, they say: "Do not exceed 5 miles per hour" yeah, right. Like that's really going to happen. If you want to go fast with these chains they need to be really, really tight on the tire. Just take the valve core out of the valve stem and squish the tire while the rear end of the machine is off the ground. Then it's fairly easy to get the chains positioned and adjusted so they are centered and the cross-chains are straight across, and the spacing between the cross-chains is equal all the way around the tire. :cool:

quadbiker
01-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Btw, they may not fit real well on Holeshots or other tires that have a straight-across tread profile.

QuadJunkies
01-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Hey, I forgot when we talked lst.. did you say if you got any pics of the fun day?? Good info for the riders who want to trail in the snow..;)

quadbiker
01-23-2003, 04:05 PM
No photos yet Tina, but working on it. Gonna try towing an innertube with my least-favorite friend on board. Pin it in 5th around a corner and send him into the trees. haha.:devil

QuadJunkies
01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by quadbiker
No photos yet Tina, but working on it. Gonna try towing an innertube with my least-favorite friend on board. Pin it in 5th around a corner and send him into the trees. haha.:devil LMAO..:blah

quadbiker
01-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Another advantage to riding in snow, everything stays clean. You don't even need an air filter.:D